Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
How much time does it take for filling/unfilling the boats with air? Is it easy to deflate? I'm just remembering the days of using an air mattress when tent camping and what a chore it was to inflate/deflate.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
How much time does it take for filling/unfilling the boats with air? Is it easy to deflate? I'm just remembering the days of using an air mattress when tent camping and what a chore it was to inflate/deflate.
For my West Marine Dingy, I pull the plugs and walk off. The material is heavy and it just goes flat (I'm Melting!).
I then roll from the rear forward and stuff it in the tote bag. 5 Minutes?

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I have a Sevelor Colorado and it is fun, however last year we purchased a Foldcat from Fisheagle. This is a great easy to set up pontoon boat, we got an electric trolling motor so we don't have to row all the time. I would highly recommend this unit.
Sea Eagle FoldCat Review 375fc Fishing Inflatable Trout Bass
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Great forum name!

Sorry to go off topic ...

Zugbug...I love your user name!

My husband ties zugbugs all the time!

.... back on topic.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I have a small Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor/air tank that would be more than sufficient to inflate the boat. It weighs about 30 pounds, has a carry handle, and would probably fill the canoe in about 5 minutes. Of course, 120 volts would be needed.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Great information - lot's of choices. Dave mad a particularly good point about 2 singles vs 1 double.

I'm thinking about the Sevylor Colorado canoe. Seats 2 and is $284.99 including shipping.

SEVYLORŪ KCC335 COLORADO CANOE - KCC335 Blue - Free Shipping

Anyone have any experience with this one?

We're looking for something to take out on a lake and paddle around a bit. No whitewater (yet - if ever).
We had two Sevylors, not very sturdily built. Got smart and went with an Avon which served us well for many years then a Zodiac.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
Boats

We have the Seyvlor canou and a SeaEagle Foldcat. SeaEagle has a great website that covers all types of water craft.
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I really appreciate all of the good information from everyone. I really didn't realize I had so many choices.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
We use a 12V air pump designed for inflatables. Reverse it and it acts like a vacuum and quickly sucks out the air.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Another option...

Why not a hardside kayak/canoe or evan a couple carried on top of your TV (in my case, on top of my towed jeep)? We have a couple of Hobie Mirage Outbacks that are great. Pedal or paddle and can't be beat for hands free fishing. The only drawback is getting them on top of a tall vehicle. My Liberty is only slightly easier than the 4x drive Dodge truck we had before... still, it beats inflating/deflating...

Hobie Kayaks

If I was going to consider anything else, I would take a hard look at the Instaboat or Folboats.
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Reno , Nevada
Having already owned hard shell kayaks and now an inflatable, I have to second the earlier mention of the AdvancedFrame convertible. Inflation, and more importantly deflation and storage, are easy, each taking about ten minutes. Because of the aluminum frame in the bow and stern, the boat tracks really well, and you can even buy a full length "spine" that make the boat handle really well in choppy, rough conditions. Packed, they're easy for one person to handle.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Hi bigern - welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the information!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday
Why not a hardside kayak/canoe or evan a couple carried on top of your TV (in my case, on top of my towed jeep)? We have a couple of Hobie Mirage Outbacks that are great. Pedal or paddle and can't be beat for hands free fishing. The only drawback is getting them on top of a tall vehicle. My Liberty is only slightly easier than the 4x drive Dodge truck we had before... still, it beats inflating/deflating...

Hobie Kayaks

If I was going to consider anything else, I would take a hard look at the Instaboat or Folboats.
Totally cool! Have you had any mechanical problems with them?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Hobie...

None. You do have to be aware of your depth. In a certain foot position, the fins (sails) are up flush with the bottom and you can glide over obstructions or paddle over. I have had some of my daughter's friends run over rocks at full speed and that required some bending afterward. If you buy the fishing version, there is not much you need to add, but I have seen them accessorized with all kinds of stuff. I have the sail, but will not use it again until I have added out riggers.

I have an Outback and my wife has a Sport - she loves it and goes out in the evening with neighbors that have also bought into them. I am thinking about another Sport (fishing version) for me so that it will be easier to get on and off the racks. I have used mine bay fishing in FL and can get places you wouldn't believe.

If you are considering fishing, nose around the following website for ideas. There is a guy on there out of Tallahassee that really has tricked out his...

Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers (FCKA)

Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote