Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm TICKED!

Today, my daughter & I were exposed to the ugliness of the almighty dollar! We drove 3 hours to inspect this trailer:

1974 Argosy 26 Travel Trailer Airstream Very nice : eBay Motors (item 260648966428 end time Aug-16-10 08:36:58 PDT)=

As stated in the question portion of the auction, the auction was NOT supposed to end early unless a "Crazy Offer" was made on the trailer. We were met at the door of this particular RV dealership by a salesman, who kindly unlocked the Argosy and told us to take our time inspecting it. We did a thorough inspection (took an hour) and were ready to wrap it up & go home to wait on the end of the auction. Suddenly, two kids came running by us & said they had to install a new water pump on the trailer because it had been sold. WHAT?! These people knew we were there inspecting the trailer, said in their auction that it wouldn't end early (unless you know what their definition of a crazy offer is) and they sold it to someone while I was under the trailer!!! No courtesy of the chance to beat the offer, no integrety to tell the person making the offer that they really should run the auction since they stated they would, no statement in the auction that the item was for sale locally & they reserved the right to end it early, NOTHING! My daughter & I were seeing red!! The auction was at $3,150 and the person offered $6000 for the trailer. The owner's son asked me (being a business owner with integrety, I'd like to think) what I would have done if my auction was over the next day & I was offered $3,000 more than what it was at. Of course, for my own reputation as a business person & Christian mostly, I would stand by my word & continue the auction until it ran it's course. He left the office & went and spoke with the person who bought the trailer (nothing against him, not his fault at all, maybe he'll join the forum). Then he came back & told us he understood our point, but it was too late. The deal was done. He gave us $200 for gas & our time, which was a noble thing to do, but it really didn't make us feel good about the whole situation. And to top it all off, the trailer was really nice! Oh well, I had to vent & know I will have lots of sympathizers here. Another nice one will come along for my daughter & grandbaby (she's going to upsize from her minuet to something with designated beds at some point). Thanks for letting me whine!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Would it make you feel better if I said looking at the photos it appears the axles are shot?
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
a tadd

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Becky, don't whine - just wine!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about your fruitless travel, but keep in mind that another is our there and may just be a better trailer. That was the case with us, we traveled over 8 hours roundtrip to be totally disappointed. Next thing you know we found our A/S less than a 30 minute drive from our home. And since we were not yet equiped to tow her home, the sellers took her to "our" local RV place so everything could be properly installed.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Becky,

It strikes me that the dealer did what he could, given the situation. In fact, there was nothing obligating him to give you the $200 he did, IMHO.

If it had been meant for you to have that unit you would have had it. After all, there are hundreds more out there, at any given moment.

Don't let it get you down, just keep on looking. No amount of anger will make you feel better or change anything in this situation.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The axles appear to be very shot and with an electric only refrigerator your camping would be limited to full hookup sites only.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Thanks for letting me whine!
On the bright side?

Now you won't have to spend hours scrubbing POR off your body just so you can wear a bathing suit on your vacation to Mexico?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Kevan, you sound like POR is a bad thing...I like the way it keeps the mos-kee-toes away from my body after I've been using the stuff!

Ray
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I'm with the dealer , he said it was subject to a "crazy offer" and it's his prerogative to determine what that is . Sounds like a stand up guy to offer $ 200 to some one who had not made an offer or a bid. Auctions are not just about bargins but also about taking chances. Don't be discouraged , there is always another deal around the corner and it usually turns out to be a better one.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
This is not that uncommon with a good trailer. I once had a spoken deal on a trailer for $2500, their full asking price, as I was getting a check ready, I got a call from the seller telling me they just sold it for $4000. I wasn't even given a chance to meet the price. OK I probably wouldn't.
Would you have paid $6000 and added $1500 for new axles? Maybe as it does look nice.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Today, my daughter & I were exposed to the ugliness of the almighty dollar! We drove 3 hours to inspect this trailer:

It's tempting for a dealer to end a sale early and avoid the E-bay fees. The dealer had to choose between a cash in hand buyer at his desk and a maybe low sale with a maybe no-show e-bay buyer with fees. I'd imagine the dealer used you as pressure to close on his buyer. He figgured out that you weren't there with cash to buy that day.

Now ya see how it's done. Next time ya go in like a biting sow. Go in early . . . take cash . . . no check, no credit card.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
On the bright side?

Now you won't have to spend hours scrubbing POR off your body just so you can wear a bathing suit on your vacation to Mexico?

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Kevan, you sound like POR is a bad thing...I like the way it keeps the mos-kee-toes away from my body after I've been using the stuff!

Ray
I understand Spots are projected to be the next fashion rage in beach apparel. What do ya think Becky?

Feeling better yet?
Attached Images

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Don't worry... Sure, it's disappointing, but there's a reason you didn't get that particular trailer...the right one will come your way...and it will be perfect. Hang in there! At least you got the $200 which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thaks for the replies. I wrote that & went to bed. Slept like a baby, so it didn't upset me THAT much! I think I was most upset about the statement in the auction that it wouldn't end early unless there was a "crazy offer". My daughter asked if we should take the hitch & I told her no since he said the auction was going through. Oh well, like everyone said....something else will come along. She has a nice little trailer for now & this just happened to be somewhat "nearby". I realize he didn't have to give us anything as far as $ goes. At the time, it really didn't help--I don't reallly need handouts--especially as a bribe to go away! Oh well, life goes on!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I understand Spots are projected to be the next fashion rage in beach apparel. What do ya think Becky?

Feeling better yet?
I do have some new black & blue marks from crawling under the trailer--does that count?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Though a frustrating trip for you and your daughter. I think the the dealer was actually not a bad sort at all. The fact that he gave you $200 for your trouble is amazing. Think about WISCO and his experience and you'll feel better. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tml#post879894
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
I do have some new black & blue marks from crawling under the trailer--does that count?

Certainly worth a few extra credit points.

Thankfully you got the cash instead of what's behind curtain #3.

Hang in there,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: bmp LMAD.bmp (487.8 KB, 66 views)

William C. Swinney

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Personally, the dealer should have given you a chance to meet or beat the offer. You were already inspecting the unit and the dealer knew that. That would have been the right thing to do.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Personally, the dealer should have given you a chance to meet or beat the offer. You were already inspecting the unit and the dealer knew that. That would have been the right thing to do.
Actually, my daughter tried to. He said they had the paper work finished & it was too late. All while we were inspecting. I'm finished being mad....
it takes too much energy!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I don't blame you for being ticked off BUT as far as I can see the dealer is blameless. He did warn you he would sell it before the auction was over if he got a "crazy offer" and an offer for nearly double the bid price certainly qualifies. Plus he gave you $200 bucks for your time and trouble which he did not have to do.

No, as far as I can see the dealer was an absolute prince. I have certainly had far worse experiences at dealers. In fact I would deal with him again.

The buyer may be nutty for paying that much but they can hardly be faulted for what they did, which after all was only to buy something that was for sale.

It might help to be philosophical about it and reflect that next time it may go the other way, and you will get a nice trailer for a bargain price.