Old 11-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
IKEA in an Airstream?

I am fixing to (yes, I am from Oklahoma) purchase my first Airstream. Its going to be a renovation project, not fresh off the lot. Likely a 1972 31' Sovereign. I am a fan of IKEA. And so, am I crazy thinking that using at minimum IKEA cabinet facing's, doors and drawer fronts along with site built cabinetry is a possibility? Anyone out there ever mixed these two worlds?

I don't think it would be practical to try to custom fit prebuilt cabinetry into the upper curves of an Airstream. Maybe use full IKEA for lower cabinetry etc.?

The way you buy each piece at IKEA seems like a practical way to get a great finished look.

I know IKEA once had quality issues but I believe they are a great product these days. they make some cabinet finishes that I think would give an older AS the look of the newer, lighter, brighter AS's.
Am I crazy?

Happyjoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjoemay View Post
I am fixing to (yes, I am from Oklahoma) purchase my first Airstream. Its going to be a renovation project, not fresh off the lot. Likely a 1972 31' Sovereign. I am a fan of IKEA. And so, am I crazy thinking that using at minimum IKEA cabinet facing's, doors and drawer fronts along with site built cabinetry is a possibility? Anyone out there ever mixed these two worlds?

I don't think it would be practical to try to custom fit prebuilt cabinetry into the upper curves of an Airstream. Maybe use full IKEA for lower cabinetry etc.?

The way you buy each piece at IKEA seems like a practical way to get a great finished look.

I know IKEA once had quality issues but I believe they are a great product these days. they make some cabinet finishes that I think would give an older AS the look of the newer, lighter, brighter AS's.

Am I crazy?

Just a quick reply. Stock cabinets in trailers in the older years were built to be light weight. Mostly 1x3 or 1x2 and 1/4Ē plywood Or plastics. The structure and suspension would need to be completely reengineered to handle the weight of particle board.

Secondly there is quite a bit of data out there suggesting trailer interiors take a beating like and earthquake going down the road. Things need to flex, give and take and once again IKEA just wasnít designed for that purpose. You find that there are typically no right angles even against interior walls, so square premade cabinets are more a headache than a help.

Iím not anti IKEA. We have plenty of their stuff around the house but not in a trailer. You might consider a trailer you donít have to completely reinvent or find someone to help you build custom in place lightweight versions!

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there was one Argosy trailer [on this forum] that was Diesel powered; No propane. I believe that it had Ikea cabinets in it. The sides of the cabinets had holes and cut outs done to reduce the weight of the MDF. It can be done.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Thank you both for your helpful comments. Goransons, you are very wise to remind me that IKEA can be great stuff, until you move it, and then it can be about as sturdy as jello.
I am aware of the weight issue but let it slip my mind as I wrote of considering a full IKEA cabinet.
And please know, I love to hear points counter to my own. It's the only way we learn new things.
To maybe elaborate on my original statement of concept. In looking at the website, I think that with IKEA cabinetry, you can buy each componet of a cabinet seperately. All that I am seeking, ultimately, is the facade pieces. IKEA has a cabinet finish that resembles stainless steel that I think would be light and bright, also some glossy white and cream colors.
Obviously there is a lot to work out with what's behind the door, literally and figuratively.
Robertsunrus, I will try to find the poster/postings you described, thanks. Contacting that person could be a wealth of knowledge on the topic.
Thank you both for your thought. I truley honestly am grateful and. Want to hear the possibilities of my wrong thinking. I know I can be wrong, I have an ex wife that reminds me often if I forget.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
IKEA makes cabinets in all quality levels.
I have three pieces from the Hemnes series and they're rock solid.
(I also think they're fun to assemble.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb4967194e4338f2a017b9c45aa8a00f.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	356523  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As a professional skilled cabinetmaker I can attest to IKEA being a less than ideal cabinetry option for a trailer. You might get away with it in a motorhome, but not a trailer that you plan on towing. The joinery will simply not take the punishment of road travel.
Even in my Classic motorhome renovation I used a faceframe construction reinforced with Dominoe biscuits in each joint. Using Dominoe construction is easy and very strong.
I used 4/4 Pine, milled to 7/8 thickness by 1 1/4" in width for my faceframe rails and styles, (you can get any millwork shop to run you lengths). Then cut to size and Dominoe together. Doors I constructed out of pine, using an enhanced shaker knife with a solid pine inset panel.
Most of my "cabinets" have no bottoms or backs, with interior gables just long enough to mount drawer slides onto, or returns just big enough to mount door hinge plates.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a *lot* that goes into fitting a cabinet into a trailer. Just how much depends a bit on where it is going in the trailer. With the "stock" (= light weight) cabinetry, most trailers barely have enough weight capacity to handle the load. The combination of those two things is what moves the pointer over to "it's going to be a custom cabinet".

Indeed other issues like strength come in. So does function. There's only so much room in there. Each part needs to do just what it needs to do. Finding a stock design that does all the variety of things a typical RV cabinet does .... yikes ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Frankfort , Ohio
Ikea cabinets may not sound like the best option for Airstream renovations, but lots of people are using them. Use the search feature to look for Ikea in posts and ask some of the people who have installed them how they are holding up. I canít imagine they are much heavier than the cabinets that are being installed in new Airstreams...
StephSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Your idea would likely limit your interior floor plan design.
For example when I made my kitchen cabinet I needed to account for: the furnace, ducting, water pump, wheel covers, drain lines, water lines, fresh water tank, lower curved interior walls, and curved back splash.

I agree with the previous statement that those accommodations tend to lend towards a custom cabinet. As you look at the total cost of the remodel or restoration you will likely find that at least for the kitchen cabinet the extra cost is not significant.

Custom cabinets also provide you a choice on what the cabinet can do, for example our desire was to have two 10 inch deep by 36 inch wide drawers.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
As an aside. Positive latch hardware is a really really good idea.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Love Ikea. Have been shopping there since the early 80's (in Europe).

Their quality is excellent and very stable and easy to assemble especially with the locking cams.

It is not designed for frequent moving or constant dissasembly. Even in Europe its considered good quality entry level for a young starter family or budget minded alternative.

Having said that it also makes an attractive alternative for a trailer or a van. But it can get quite heavy. Google using Ikea in ranlife or trailers or food trucks and see what you come up with. Many of those users cut out the sides and the backs only leaving framing of the cabinets behind.

Another popular option is to build the frames of the cabinet with aluminum and then just put aluminum faces or fronts on them which could probably also be done with just Ikea front.

I think it would look very attractive and be easily assembled considering that you're going to have to cut the box to fit the curves.

All of the original wood cabinetry or wood and veneers that we have in our vintage trailers are exceedingly thin and the nails and screws quite small that held them together.

Essentially you are equipping an earthquake on wheels.

I've almost put Ikea in ours on several occasions but in Arizona we have extreme heat to contend with and there aren't many materials good to sit in an oven all day.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
One of my concerns would be moisture. One of the reasons AS cabinets hold up so well in a trailer enviroment is that they are solid plywood NOT particle board. Particle board has a tendency to swell in a damp enviroment. Trailers are NOT dry enviroments especially in your rainy and wintry climates Like where I live the British Columbia Canada. Just saying.

Married With Airstream Blog Click Here
Blog Languages: English/French/Spanish
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
One of my concerns would be moisture. One of the reasons AS cabinets hold up so well in a trailer enviroment is that they are solid plywood NOT particle board. Particle board has a tendency to swell in a damp enviroment. Trailers are NOT dry enviroments especially in your rainy and wintry climates Like where I live the British Columbia Canada. Just saying.
What? Airstreams leak? Say it isn't so.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Thanks to all of the great comments. I went again today to visit the Airstream I think is going to be the one. On my prior visit I had missed that all of the pieces that had been removed were sitting on the other aide of the warehouse where the Airstream is sitting. They bring a bit of more possibilities possibly.
What is appealing about the IKEA idea is that I really like the smooth glossy light colored finishes of the newer Airstreams. IKEA seemed lkke an easy way to bring that to an older dark wood Airstream.
Of course I guess I could always build with anice veneered plywood, paint or stain in a light color and then airless spray a glossy urethane or what ever is appropriate top coating product. Or in other words, do this the right way. But, there will still be many, many ways to use IKEA in my little world. Thank you all for your help! I am so excited about this project.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think you might find some nice inspiration in this thread from a few years back. The build out looks fantastic. You may need to skip ahead toward the end of the thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ad-118881.html

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, there was one Argosy trailer [on this forum] that was Diesel powered; No propane. I believe that it had Ikea cabinets in it. The sides of the cabinets had holes and cut outs done to reduce the weight of the MDF. It can be done.
Hi, do a search of "SmokelessJoe" he used Ikea cabinets in his Argosy trailer and has very detailed threads on how he did it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the finish colors on the Ikea stuff are the main draw, they are pretty easy to duplicate on just about any custom cabinet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
I used (modified) IKEA cabinetry for a set of drawers in the wardrobe. Here’s a post on that project.

I disagree with people who say that IKEA stuff is crap, and among other things, I’m a furniture designer and maker. Ikea stuff is not heirloom furniture by any means but their kitchen stuff is by and large much more than most people need and will last a very long time—in a kitchen.

I don’t think I’d use Ikea cabinetry as primary cabinetry in an Airstream. It’s very heavy and the cabinets are optimized for flat packing and stationary use, not for constant bumping and jostling of road travel.

That said, it’s not entirely clear to me what does make for good road-travel-worthy cabinetry. A fix for a sink issue had me deep in the guts of my Globetrotter’s galley cabinetry and its design and/or engineering was pretty questionable.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Happy, welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of Airstream!

If you are like most long-term fans, first time owners you will likely first have visions of what your interior will look like. But I would be remiss if I did not point out the importance of first inspecting and fixing any issues with the frame, axels, flooring, electrical systems, plumbing systems, heating/cooling, appliances, etc. first.

If you don't plan on using the trailer to travel (i.e. it's going to be stationary) then the axels, brakes, exterior lights, etc. can be ignored.

But since it's a used trailer, it is possible, even likely that the plywood subfloor is soft in spots. The axels may need replaced, the frame may be rusted in spots, depending on it's age and if there were leaks in the shell.

Trust me, you will want and need to address these issues first. Any interior design you do first will have to be ripped out and redone if your floor needs patched or replaced. If the trailer needs such attention, don't be discouraged, many here have fixed far worse.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, do a search of "SmokelessJoe" he used Ikea cabinets in his Argosy trailer and has very detailed threads on how he did it.
Here is a link to Smokeless Joe's project:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote