Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #81
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes, it is critical to not let "what we do" become confused with "who we are"...

Bill
Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Well said Bill...well said
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
I also want more open space, more mountains, less east coast attitude etc.
Disclaimer...Anyone who reads this post please note that this is not intended to be a slam on east coast people.

Brian and Donna - We know exactly what you mean. The people on the western side of the country look at things differently and are much more laid back than back east. The pace is slower and the people are friendlier.

When we first got here I would catch Rod getting a little impatient in some situations (like in the grocery line etc) I'd look at him and tell him he was being "too eastern." He knew what I meant and he's chill a bit.

In DC if you as much as smiled at someone in the grocery line they looked at you like you were on something. Out here it's very common to strike up a conversation with the person in front of you at the store!

Yup - it's different in the west!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #84
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Disclaimer...Anyone who reads this post please note that this is not intended to be a slam on east coast people.

In DC if you as much as smiled at someone in the grocery line they looked at you like you were on something. Out here it's very common to strike up a conversation with the person in front of you at the store!

I agree it is different out west, however you have never me. I strike up conversation everywhere I go. Especially in the grocery store. The less willing they are to interact the more I try. This is my sick sense of sport. This is my way of being a counter culture revolutionary. I could care less if they think I am on something, sometimes I am, so what. Kill them with kindness, the expression is priceless. Have you ever paid someone's toll? People do not know how to handle that out here, it seriously freaks them out. I do realize an attitude difference, though. Here when some says how are you, it is a formality. Out west the same question is said with intent for detail on how you are.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I agree it is different out west, however you have never me. I strike up conversation everywhere I go. Especially in the grocery store. The less willing they are to interact the more I try. This is my sick sense of sport. This is my way of being a counter culture revolutionary. I could care less if they think I am on something, sometimes I am, so what. Kill them with kindness, the expression is priceless. Have you ever paid someone's toll? People do not know how to handle that out here, it seriously freaks them out. I do realize an attitude difference, though. Here when some says how are you, it is a formality. Out west the same question is said with intent for detail on how you are.
Great response!!!

For sure - If you were ever in line behind me in Giant or Wegmans and you started a conversation with me - would have been shocked at first but... would have gladly responded! The people on the DC Metro are the worst for friendliness (or lack of!) They do everything possible to avoid eye contact. Smile at someone and they will turn away.

Sure - there are things I miss about living in the east - but I could never go back to live there.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
I'm not slamming everyone from the east either. I've been an east coast person with an east coast mentality for 41 yrs.{you can't get much more east than RI} I just thought I'd try something else. When I was out west I was in heaven so why not try to experience heaven{to me} a little more often.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
I've been an east coast person with an east coast mentality for 41 yrs.{you can't get much more east than RI} I just thought I'd try something else. When I was out west I was in heaven so why not try to experience heaven{to me} a little more often.
Yup - that's exactly it for us too. I spent my first 50 years between NY and DC. That's why I'm spending the next 50 (or however many I can) out here. I love the whole spirit of the Southwest!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Yup - that's exactly it for us too. I spent my first 50 years between NY and DC. That's why I'm spending the next 50 (or however many I can) out here. I love the whole spirit of the Southwest!
Cool, see you out there!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Cool, see you out there!!
Great - the door will be open and there will be a pot of Green Chile Stew simmerin' on the stove! When you get ready to sit down for a bowl of it I'll make some fresh home-made tortillas to go with it.

(Mind you, I'm a born and bred, northeastern Italian-American. This green chile stuff is quite a switch from ziti and meatballs.)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
rio rancho , New Mexico
Thumbs up new mexico

living across the rio grand from jimandrod , in rio rancho new mexico. the kind people of new mexico have set up a nice reservation for all the old cranky new yorkers. thank you new mexico. weather + people are great. very old society , they have their ways , i am only a visitor , i respect them.
been retired two years , something to do every day. cultural events/sports/hiking/fishing/city/country/hospitals/dinning/vistas/history , you name it , new mexico has it. still can't believe the view from my porch , think i died + went to heaven. hope to stay till i check out.
airmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmac
living across the rio grand from jimandrod , in rio rancho new mexico. the kind people of new mexico have set up a nice reservation for all the old cranky new yorkers. thank you new mexico. weather + people are great. very old society , they have their ways , i am only a visitor , i respect them.
been retired two years , something to do every day. cultural events/sports/hiking/fishing/city/country/hospitals/dinning/vistas/history , you name it , new mexico has it. still can't believe the view from my porch , think i died + went to heaven. hope to stay till i check out.
Hi airmac - welcome to the forums and to NM. You're going to like it here (and here.) You must have a Sandia view from your porch. We have the Sandias on one side, Cabezon & Mt Taylor to the west and the Jemez Mountains and the Santa Ana Mesas to the north. No complaints here!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
rio rancho , New Mexico
Smile

hi jimandrod
been out west for years , az + co , this is better in every way. hey we forgot to mention the occasional dust storm. you can't see me now, can ya. ha ha !
airmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #93
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:

Brian and Donna - We know exactly what you mean. The people on the western side of the country look at things differently and are much more laid back than back east. The pace is slower and the people are friendlier.

When we first got here I would catch Rod getting a little impatient in some situations (like in the grocery line etc) I'd look at him and tell him he was being "too eastern." He knew what I meant and he's chill a bit.

Here's my .02 on west coast vs. best coast; I grew up in New England, lived in San Diego for a while, climate was nice. Found people (and all the surroundings) to be very shallow and transient. An "old friend" in SoCal was someone you knew for 1 year! Couldn't wait to get back to New England. When you make a friend here, you have a friend for life...
Love to explore other places in the US (the country of Texas is great! Have some good friends down there. Like the DC/Virginia area also...) still have lots more to see; North West, Fla pan handle, Montana, but New England will always be home...
I guess we all have our own idea of "home"-God Bless America!

Bill
Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Your right about making friends in NE!! We just did that recently didn't we...
I'm not down on most people in NE and I'm sure there are challenging people in all parts of the country. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to leave .
I just want something different and I need all of that open space and mountains. In reality it's probably 5 years off so I have plenty of time to enjoy this home until I find a new one.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Great - the door will be open and there will be a pot of Green Chile Stew simmerin' on the stove! When you get ready to sit down for a bowl of it I'll make some fresh home-made tortillas to go with it.

(Mind you, I'm a born and bred, northeastern Italian-American. This green chile stuff is quite a switch from ziti and meatballs.)
Hey my wife tells me that we are staying in NM for a night or two on our way to the GC and Utah. I think we'll be on the western side and are looking for a good place to stop. Any suggestions??
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Im not sure i could imagine living in rhode island for that long, ive lived in virginia for 22 years now... well im only 22 but im already starting to get tired of the cold. I think i could stay on the east coast just further south maybe.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Hey my wife tells me that we are staying in NM for a night or two on our way to the GC and Utah. I think we'll be on the western side and are looking for a good place to stop. Any suggestions??
The Taos, NM area is very cool and very much worth visiting. Kit Carson's home and grave are in Taos. Taos Pueblo is very interesting and is very close to Taos, to the north. There are other Pueblos nearby.

There is much Native American art to be bought in that area, especially pottery. Maria Martinez and family of San Ildefonso Pueblo is probably the most famous. Their black pots are beautiful. That Pueblo and others are south of Taos.

The drive to Taos from the east up the Cimarron River Canyon is beautiful. There are many places to camp in the Canyon. We've always stayed in motels in Taos proper so we can't recommend any particular camp grounds there but I do remember passing many in the Canyon.

Then, going west, Canyon de Chelly (National Monument) is an awesome must see. There is a free campground on the Monument grounds. You can drive around the rim of the canyon and see most of the cliff dwellings from a distance at no charge. If you want to go into the canyon to see the ancient dwellings up close and personal (highly recommended), you must hire a Navajo guide. If you decide to go there, we can tell you which guide we used, loved her tour, and where to find her.

It sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you. If you stop by to visit with us in Chicagoland, we can guide you to a local market that makes great Italian sausage. You can freeze a bunch and take it with you since really good sausage may be really hard to find between Chicago and California.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Scroll down this thread to a post by Eubank - he has come up with the ultimate New Mexico list.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-az-39067.html
Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 AM   #99
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I highly suggest you stop at Ojo Caliente. A few hours in the hot mineral water and you will feel like a new person. Not exactly on the way, but not too far off either.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
The Taos, NM area is very cool and very much worth visiting. Kit Carson's home and grave are in Taos. Taos Pueblo is very interesting and is very close to Taos, to the north. There are other Pueblos nearby.

There is much Native American art to be bought in that area, especially pottery. Maria Martinez and family of San Ildefonso Pueblo is probably the most famous. Their black pots are beautiful. That Pueblo and others are south of Taos.

The drive to Taos from the east up the Cimarron River Canyon is beautiful. There are many places to camp in the Canyon. We've always stayed in motels in Taos proper so we can't recommend any particular camp grounds there but I do remember passing many in the Canyon.

Then, going west, Canyon de Chelly (National Monument) is an awesome must see. There is a free campground on the Monument grounds. You can drive around the rim of the canyon and see most of the cliff dwellings from a distance at no charge. If you want to go into the canyon to see the ancient dwellings up close and personal (highly recommended), you must hire a Navajo guide. If you decide to go there, we can tell you which guide we used, loved her tour, and where to find her.

It sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you. If you stop by to visit with us in Chicagoland, we can guide you to a local market that makes great Italian sausage. You can freeze a bunch and take it with you since really good sausage may be really hard to find between Chicago and California.

Regards,

Jerry
Jerry we'll be hitting the Chicago area on the way back so we'll let you know when we're in the area.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD