Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wherever you go, there you are...

Travel is enriching, especially when done with no fixed timetable or destination. Being able to stop in a small town in Tennessee or a beautiful mountain trail or get happy in the Conch Republic is a great experience.

Over the long haul most places become what you bring to them. Complainers will find something to complain about wherever they are. Optimists will love wherever they light.

Knowing who you are and what you really want - and most importantly being able to say "this is good enough" will be the things that will bring you the most contentment.

The realities of maturity and beyond do dictate certain things - I was about 24 when I decided that Lake effect snows and icy sidewalks were a distinct danger to my health! I didn't have to wait for osteoporosis for that one, but I now see many of my classmates finally running from the brutal winters - so as several other posters have said:
  • good medical care
  • public transportation
  • availability of recreation you enjoy close to home
  • reasonable prices and good values for housing
  • safe neighborhoods
All these play into selecting a retirement home.

Of cours if that "Home" is silver and on wheels, becoming a snowbird can be a good thing.

Paula

Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fallbrook , California
Albuquerque?

My wife and I have lived in San Diego, Hawaii, Palm Beach FL, and back to San Diego in the past 6 years. We have two kids, aged 5 and 3. For year round climate nothing beats San Diego, it is just expensive to live here (housing and fuel for long commutes). Florida was cheaper but we got slammed by 3 hurricanes when we were there (none since we moved away). We too are looking to re-locate. Albuquerque has factored into our list although the winter temps are a bit cool. I should add that we both lived the first 30 years of our lives in Victoria, BC, Canada so we have tried to avoid rain/wind/cold during the winter months.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
St. Helens , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
There will be about 7 days a year on average with high winds and blowing sand in the air....(population control for true Yankees).
Oh, David, you brought me a sudden memory. I used to work for the Texas Real Estate Commission and had to attend hearings all over the state. One time we drove in to Lubbock after a combination rain and sand storm. Everything was covered on its north side with mud, like muddobber wasps had been very, very active. Only way to tell a stop sign was by its shape! Nancy, St. Helens, OR (where the rain makes everything very clean and green)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Use your Airstream for field survey/research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Just curious to find out where you would move to if you could relocate to any state in the country?? Then what part of the state and why??
When we decided to relocate from Northern California after retirement (aka extended vacation), we took off on a two month exploration around Southern California and Arizona looking for a comfortable place where the winters would be warm and dry. Along the way we checked out a dozen or more communities. We bought an option on a lot intending to build after selling our California home. We expected to live in the AS for the 6-8 months it would have taken to build. Instead, we sold last June, travelled to Arizona via Boston, and bought an existing home in the same resort community rather than build anew. The market worked in our favor both selling and buying. We feel very lucky to have made the change when we did.

Best wishes in your search. You've got the vehicle for research and exploration so why not use it to check out all the places that might be attractive to you.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Great thread!

Why not consider relocating up north to Canada?

"Free" health care!!

At least where I'm located, we get to enjoy all four very distinct seasons. Lots of snow in the winters, springtime is very much appreciated, summertime is spent at cottages (or in Airstreams of course), fall is great because you get to bring out all your sweaters and funky boots again, and the cycle continues.

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thanks Paula, Mike and Rosemary,and macfrodge I appreciate your input.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Travel is enriching, especially when done with no fixed timetable or destination. Being able to stop in a small town in Tennessee or a beautiful mountain trail or get happy in the Conch Republic is a great experience.

Over the long haul most places become what you bring to them. Complainers will find something to complain about wherever they are. Optimists will love wherever they light.

Knowing who you are and what you really want - and most importantly being able to say "this is good enough" will be the things that will bring you the most contentment.

The realities of maturity and beyond do dictate certain things - I was about 24 when I decided that Lake effect snows and icy sidewalks were a distinct danger to my health! I didn't have to wait for osteoporosis for that one, but I now see many of my classmates finally running from the brutal winters - so as several other posters have said:
  • good medical care
  • public transportation
  • safe neighborhoods

Of cours if that "Home" is silver and on wheels, becoming a snowbird can be a good thing.

Paula
Paula,

Well put!! You are obviously a wise woman.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

• good medical care
  • public transportation
  • safe neighborhoods

Paula
Paula and Foiled Again,

Well put!! You are obviously wise people.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, we are about 20 years from retirement and living in an Atlanta suburb. One thing I can tell you is...we are ready to move from Atlanta!

It has been profitable living here for the last 20+ years, but the traffic is horrendous and the City can't keep up with the infrastructure necessary to maintain growth. Speaking of growth, there are roughly twice the number of people living in the metro-Atlanta are as there were when I moved here in 1985. Oh, did I mention how bad traffic is getting? We live in one of the premier counties with supposedly the best schools in the state and my wife is a teacher in the county where we live and she says it is scary that our school board isn't keeping up with the demographic changes that are occurring...they are still living in the 1970's/1980's and touting that we have the best schools in the state. And the traffic is getting awfull!

Atlanta is within 50 miles of Klattu's dotted yellow line, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want to start your own business. It is very friendly for that. I went to Auburn University and really liked the town, but that was more than 25 years ago...it's the only time I lived outside of the state of Georgia.

Rant over, we are planning to move to central Florida to be closer to family and Disney! (not necessarily in that order )
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I grew up in Upstate NY - the Finger Lakes area. It's one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeast. I lived there for 23 years - my siblings are all still there - I love it there but you can't pay me enough to move back there. They have nasty winters!

I moved to Washington DC in 1976 and loved it there too. Except... it grew to be too congested, very expensive, winters that can be really nasty and summers from hell. We lived in the District (that's what locals call the District of Columbia) so we really experienced the best of what DC was all about. After 27 years there (30 for Rod) we sold the house, packed up the cats and moved to New Mexico. Why New Mexico???? Why not?

We discovered New Mexico back in the 90s. We were out here for a work trip for Rod. I fell in love with it on the first visit. We were out here a year later (another work trip). This time it was also during Balloon Fiesta. Rod fell in love with it. On the third trip we bought a 3 1/2 acre lot in Placitas. We didn't know a thing about Placitas other than the people we talked to who lived there were very friendly and the lot we were buying had spectacular views in every direction! We figured if we didn't eventually move here we could always sell the lot. We ended up building a 3200 sq ft Southwestern comtemporary house and that's now home!

What do we like about New Mexico?? To start, Placitas is a totally cool little town situated just north of the Sandia Mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. So, all of the necessary things (hospitals, airport, etc) are relatively close by. It's an easy drive to either city for restaurants, entertainment etc.

One thing that was most important to us was to be around friendly and accepting people. In that sense the community here is fantastic. We can really be ourselves and be around people who are like us in values. It was a breeze making friends here.

The climate is next to perfect. Warm (not hot) dry summers, beautiful fall weather and winters that are generally mild (snow melts the same day it falls.) Spring is nice but windy.

The cost of living is reasonable. The air is clean. Our Governor is cool. Finally, New Mexico, in my opinion, is the most beautiful state in the lower 48. The camping choices are amazing! It worked out well for us because considering all of the states, there are only around 3 that I would want to live in.

So, Brian and Donna, to find the perfect place for you is something only you can decide. Sure there are lots of written resources that have ratings based on all sorts of indicators - but the ultimate rating list is the one that the two of you develop based on what's important to you! You may want to consider adding NM to your "must see" list

Good luck and if you're ever out this way look us up. We'll be glad to show off our new found home!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
I grew up in Upstate NY - the Finger Lakes area. It's one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeast. I lived there for 23 years - my siblings are all still there - I love it there but you can't pay me enough to move back there. They have nasty winters!

I moved to Washington DC in 1976 and loved it there too. Except... it grew to be too congested, very expensive, winters that can be really nasty and summers from hell. We lived in the District (that's what locals call the District of Columbia) so we really experienced the best of what DC was all about. After 27 years there (30 for Rod) we sold the house, packed up the cats and moved to New Mexico. Why New Mexico???? Why not?

We discovered New Mexico back in the 90s. We were out here for a work trip for Rod. I fell in love with it on the first visit. We were out here a year later (another work trip). This time it was also during Balloon Fiesta. Rod fell in love with it. On the third trip we bought a 3 1/2 acre lot in Placitas. We didn't know a thing about Placitas other than the people we talked to who lived there were very friendly and the lot we were buying had spectacular views in every direction! We figured if we didn't eventually move here we could always sell the lot. We ended up building a 3200 sq ft Southwestern comtemporary house and that's now home!

What do we like about New Mexico?? To start, Placitas is a totally cool little town situated just north of the Sandia Mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. So, all of the necessary things (hospitals, airport, etc) are relatively close by. It's an easy drive to either city for restaurants, entertainment etc.

One thing that was most important to us was to be around friendly and accepting people. In that sense the community here is fantastic. We can really be ourselves and be around people who are like us in values. It was a breeze making friends here.

The climate is next to perfect. Warm (not hot) dry summers, beautiful fall weather and winters that are generally mild (snow melts the same day it falls.) Spring is nice but windy.

The cost of living is reasonable. The air is clean. Our Governor is cool. Finally, New Mexico, in my opinion, is the most beautiful state in the lower 48. The camping choices are amazing! It worked out well for us because considering all of the states, there are only around 3 that I would want to live in.

So, Brian and Donna, to find the perfect place for you is something only you can decide. Sure there are lots of written resources that have ratings based on all sorts of indicators - but the ultimate rating list is the one that the two of you develop based on what's important to you! You may want to consider adding NM to your "must see" list

Good luck and if you're ever out this way look us up. We'll be glad to show off our new found home!
I think NM is already on the list and if we do get there sometime soon to visit we'll look you up. Thanks
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Grew up in southern Cal., but have traveled around a bit. Have never been anywhere that has as much to offer, on such a grand scale as Oregon. Where I live is simi-rural, but the city (Portland) is close by. It is a very nice city, that still has a small-city feeling. Almost any outdoor activity you can think of is available on short order within reasonable distance. Great lite-rail system,good clean water, and a population that dosen't seem as harried or up-tight as in many other places.
If their is indeed water problems connected with global warming, the south-western states will be wastelands, they don't have half-enough water to support the masses of humanity living there.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie
If their is indeed water problems connected with global warming, the south-western states will be wastelands, they don't have half-enough water to support the masses of humanity living there.
Keep spreading the word! That's what we want everyone to believe. (Then they will stop moving here and driving up the housing prices like they did in Seattle, Portland, Phoenix and a host of other western cities!)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #70
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie
Nah, it'll be a jungle. Louisiana, that'll be dry heat.

I lived in New Mexico for about 6 years. I liked it, although not at first. It was futile trying to pretend it was some place it was not; I had to accept it on its own terms - fantastic soaring, lousy bicycling, mild winters, weather that could be Biblically bad, great restaurants, lousy crime rate, gorgeous natural landscaping, Gringos that kept insisting on watering their lawns, and so on...

It's a place. It's what you make of it, and I'll bet everywhere is like that. I saw a lot of people there who were attempting to run from something, bad relationships, weather, whatever, and they always seemed a little on edge, inside. I knew several others who'd come there for something, be it a job, family, or activities, and it seemed to make a huge difference.

I think a lot of that had to do with Albuquerque (actually the Santa Fe - Albuquerque corridor) being kind of an in-between place. Neither Denver nor Juarez, neither Chicago, Dallas or Elay. Socorro, where I also lived for a time, had an entirely different sense of identity. Part cowboy, part Spanish, part pre-Columbian. I liked it, but reckon that few others would.