Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Great thread!

Why not consider relocating up north to Canada?

"Free" health care!!

At least where I'm located, we get to enjoy all four very distinct seasons. Lots of snow in the winters, springtime is very much appreciated, summertime is spent at cottages (or in Airstreams of course), fall is great because you get to bring out all your sweaters and funky boots again, and the cycle continues.

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thanks Paula, Mike and Rosemary,and macfrodge I appreciate your input.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Travel is enriching, especially when done with no fixed timetable or destination. Being able to stop in a small town in Tennessee or a beautiful mountain trail or get happy in the Conch Republic is a great experience.

Over the long haul most places become what you bring to them. Complainers will find something to complain about wherever they are. Optimists will love wherever they light.

Knowing who you are and what you really want - and most importantly being able to say "this is good enough" will be the things that will bring you the most contentment.

The realities of maturity and beyond do dictate certain things - I was about 24 when I decided that Lake effect snows and icy sidewalks were a distinct danger to my health! I didn't have to wait for osteoporosis for that one, but I now see many of my classmates finally running from the brutal winters - so as several other posters have said:
  • good medical care
  • public transportation
  • availability of recreation you enjoy close to home
  • reasonable prices and good values for housing
  • safe neighborhoods
All these play into selecting a retirement home.

Of cours if that "Home" is silver and on wheels, becoming a snowbird can be a good thing.

Paula
Paula,

Well put!! You are obviously a wise woman.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Travel is enriching, especially when done with no fixed timetable or destination. Being able to stop in a small town in Tennessee or a beautiful mountain trail or get happy in the Conch Republic is a great experience.

Over the long haul most places become what you bring to them. Complainers will find something to complain about wherever they are. Optimists will love wherever they light.

Knowing who you are and what you really want - and most importantly being able to say "this is good enough" will be the things that will bring you the most contentment.

The realities of maturity and beyond do dictate certain things - I was about 24 when I decided that Lake effect snows and icy sidewalks were a distinct danger to my health! I didn't have to wait for osteoporosis for that one, but I now see many of my classmates finally running from the brutal winters - so as several other posters have said:
  • good medical care
  • public transportation
  • availability of recreation you enjoy close to home
  • reasonable prices and good values for housing
  • safe neighborhoods
All these play into selecting a retirement home.

Of cours if that "Home" is silver and on wheels, becoming a snowbird can be a good thing.

Paula
Paula and Foiled Again,

Well put!! You are obviously wise people.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, we are about 20 years from retirement and living in an Atlanta suburb. One thing I can tell you is...we are ready to move from Atlanta!

It has been profitable living here for the last 20+ years, but the traffic is horrendous and the City can't keep up with the infrastructure necessary to maintain growth. Speaking of growth, there are roughly twice the number of people living in the metro-Atlanta are as there were when I moved here in 1985. Oh, did I mention how bad traffic is getting? We live in one of the premier counties with supposedly the best schools in the state and my wife is a teacher in the county where we live and she says it is scary that our school board isn't keeping up with the demographic changes that are occurring...they are still living in the 1970's/1980's and touting that we have the best schools in the state. And the traffic is getting awfull!

Atlanta is within 50 miles of Klattu's dotted yellow line, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want to start your own business. It is very friendly for that. I went to Auburn University and really liked the town, but that was more than 25 years ago...it's the only time I lived outside of the state of Georgia.

Rant over, we are planning to move to central Florida to be closer to family and Disney! (not necessarily in that order )
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I grew up in Upstate NY - the Finger Lakes area. It's one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeast. I lived there for 23 years - my siblings are all still there - I love it there but you can't pay me enough to move back there. They have nasty winters!

I moved to Washington DC in 1976 and loved it there too. Except... it grew to be too congested, very expensive, winters that can be really nasty and summers from hell. We lived in the District (that's what locals call the District of Columbia) so we really experienced the best of what DC was all about. After 27 years there (30 for Rod) we sold the house, packed up the cats and moved to New Mexico. Why New Mexico???? Why not?

We discovered New Mexico back in the 90s. We were out here for a work trip for Rod. I fell in love with it on the first visit. We were out here a year later (another work trip). This time it was also during Balloon Fiesta. Rod fell in love with it. On the third trip we bought a 3 1/2 acre lot in Placitas. We didn't know a thing about Placitas other than the people we talked to who lived there were very friendly and the lot we were buying had spectacular views in every direction! We figured if we didn't eventually move here we could always sell the lot. We ended up building a 3200 sq ft Southwestern comtemporary house and that's now home!

What do we like about New Mexico?? To start, Placitas is a totally cool little town situated just north of the Sandia Mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. So, all of the necessary things (hospitals, airport, etc) are relatively close by. It's an easy drive to either city for restaurants, entertainment etc.

One thing that was most important to us was to be around friendly and accepting people. In that sense the community here is fantastic. We can really be ourselves and be around people who are like us in values. It was a breeze making friends here.

The climate is next to perfect. Warm (not hot) dry summers, beautiful fall weather and winters that are generally mild (snow melts the same day it falls.) Spring is nice but windy.

The cost of living is reasonable. The air is clean. Our Governor is cool. Finally, New Mexico, in my opinion, is the most beautiful state in the lower 48. The camping choices are amazing! It worked out well for us because considering all of the states, there are only around 3 that I would want to live in.

So, Brian and Donna, to find the perfect place for you is something only you can decide. Sure there are lots of written resources that have ratings based on all sorts of indicators - but the ultimate rating list is the one that the two of you develop based on what's important to you! You may want to consider adding NM to your "must see" list

Good luck and if you're ever out this way look us up. We'll be glad to show off our new found home!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
I grew up in Upstate NY - the Finger Lakes area. It's one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeast. I lived there for 23 years - my siblings are all still there - I love it there but you can't pay me enough to move back there. They have nasty winters!

I moved to Washington DC in 1976 and loved it there too. Except... it grew to be too congested, very expensive, winters that can be really nasty and summers from hell. We lived in the District (that's what locals call the District of Columbia) so we really experienced the best of what DC was all about. After 27 years there (30 for Rod) we sold the house, packed up the cats and moved to New Mexico. Why New Mexico???? Why not?

We discovered New Mexico back in the 90s. We were out here for a work trip for Rod. I fell in love with it on the first visit. We were out here a year later (another work trip). This time it was also during Balloon Fiesta. Rod fell in love with it. On the third trip we bought a 3 1/2 acre lot in Placitas. We didn't know a thing about Placitas other than the people we talked to who lived there were very friendly and the lot we were buying had spectacular views in every direction! We figured if we didn't eventually move here we could always sell the lot. We ended up building a 3200 sq ft Southwestern comtemporary house and that's now home!

What do we like about New Mexico?? To start, Placitas is a totally cool little town situated just north of the Sandia Mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. So, all of the necessary things (hospitals, airport, etc) are relatively close by. It's an easy drive to either city for restaurants, entertainment etc.

One thing that was most important to us was to be around friendly and accepting people. In that sense the community here is fantastic. We can really be ourselves and be around people who are like us in values. It was a breeze making friends here.

The climate is next to perfect. Warm (not hot) dry summers, beautiful fall weather and winters that are generally mild (snow melts the same day it falls.) Spring is nice but windy.

The cost of living is reasonable. The air is clean. Our Governor is cool. Finally, New Mexico, in my opinion, is the most beautiful state in the lower 48. The camping choices are amazing! It worked out well for us because considering all of the states, there are only around 3 that I would want to live in.

So, Brian and Donna, to find the perfect place for you is something only you can decide. Sure there are lots of written resources that have ratings based on all sorts of indicators - but the ultimate rating list is the one that the two of you develop based on what's important to you! You may want to consider adding NM to your "must see" list

Good luck and if you're ever out this way look us up. We'll be glad to show off our new found home!
I think NM is already on the list and if we do get there sometime soon to visit we'll look you up. Thanks
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Grew up in southern Cal., but have traveled around a bit. Have never been anywhere that has as much to offer, on such a grand scale as Oregon. Where I live is simi-rural, but the city (Portland) is close by. It is a very nice city, that still has a small-city feeling. Almost any outdoor activity you can think of is available on short order within reasonable distance. Great lite-rail system,good clean water, and a population that dosen't seem as harried or up-tight as in many other places.
If their is indeed water problems connected with global warming, the south-western states will be wastelands, they don't have half-enough water to support the masses of humanity living there.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie
If their is indeed water problems connected with global warming, the south-western states will be wastelands, they don't have half-enough water to support the masses of humanity living there.
Keep spreading the word! That's what we want everyone to believe. (Then they will stop moving here and driving up the housing prices like they did in Seattle, Portland, Phoenix and a host of other western cities!)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #70
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Nah, it'll be a jungle. Louisiana, that'll be dry heat.

I lived in New Mexico for about 6 years. I liked it, although not at first. It was futile trying to pretend it was some place it was not; I had to accept it on its own terms - fantastic soaring, lousy bicycling, mild winters, weather that could be Biblically bad, great restaurants, lousy crime rate, gorgeous natural landscaping, Gringos that kept insisting on watering their lawns, and so on...

It's a place. It's what you make of it, and I'll bet everywhere is like that. I saw a lot of people there who were attempting to run from something, bad relationships, weather, whatever, and they always seemed a little on edge, inside. I knew several others who'd come there for something, be it a job, family, or activities, and it seemed to make a huge difference.

I think a lot of that had to do with Albuquerque (actually the Santa Fe - Albuquerque corridor) being kind of an in-between place. Neither Denver nor Juarez, neither Chicago, Dallas or Elay. Socorro, where I also lived for a time, had an entirely different sense of identity. Part cowboy, part Spanish, part pre-Columbian. I liked it, but reckon that few others would.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I actually like New Mexico quite well, especially up around Taos, yes indeed,... great country. And, there are a great many places to fall in love with scattered around the U.S. I suppose that a place is what we make it, in many ways.
Oh, by the way, forget my last post, we don't need any more people up here. As our ex-Gov. Tom McCall used to say, " Keep Oregon green, spend your money here, then go home". We have plenty of water, for next to nothing in cost, and lots of cheap electricity.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #72
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Well, we are about 20 years from retirement and living in an Atlanta suburb. One thing I can tell you is...we are ready to move from Atlanta!

It has been profitable living here for the last 20+ years, but the traffic is horrendous and the City can't keep up with the infrastructure necessary to maintain growth.
I Agree!! Atlanta and the stressed out drivers are quite an experience now. I moved here in 1993 and my husband grew up in a suburb (used to be the country). It is very different now than it was when I got here and a world of difference from his childhood.

We have looked at South Central KY (a little snow, a little warm, near lakes and lots of nature) for when we retire...unfortunately that is 15 years away (if investments do us well). We keep toying with possibly moving to the Nashville area in the interim but finding work that is comparable to here is intimidating.

Best of luck as you find your perfect place.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
I actually like New Mexico quite well, especially up around Taos, yes indeed,... great country. And, there are a great many places to fall in love with scattered around the U.S. I suppose that a place is what we make it, in many ways.
Oh, by the way, forget my last post, we don't need any more people up here. As our ex-Gov. Tom McCall used to say, " Keep Oregon green, spend your money here, then go home". We have plenty of water, for next to nothing in cost, and lots of cheap electricity.
If you look at my first post (#66) you'll see that I said I could only live in 3 states. Obviously New Mexico is one of them. The other two are Oregon and Washington. I really love the Pacific Northwest.

Since I've been in all 50 states (airport layovers don't count) I've been able to make a judgment about which ones I could live in or not. My favorites for visiting are New York - New England, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Coast and the Southwest (which is comprised only of NM, AZ and Southern CO & UT). AK and HI are right up there too!

I should also add - even though not every state is high on my favorites list, there was something that I liked about every one of them and I've spent some time in ALL of them!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Wow!! Lucky you JimandRod
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Ok I've been waiting to hear from someone talk about Idaho. Since it hasn't come up I'll try to bait it a little.. We spent some time in southeastern Idaho when were in Yellowstone 3 years ago and it was gorgeous!! It was just a short look and I know the state is huge but everytime we start seriously looking and discussing this Idaho keeps coming up. The Boise area is where we keep checking on so what do you think???? Idaho anyone????????
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #76
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
I would like to move to the Southern Oregon Coast or Northern California Coast and Roman would move to SoCal for warm surf.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Ok I've been waiting to hear from someone talk about Idaho. Since it hasn't come up I'll try to bait it a little.. We spent some time in southeastern Idaho when were in Yellowstone 3 years ago and it was gorgeous!! It was just a short look and I know the state is huge but everytime we start seriously looking and discussing this Idaho keeps coming up. The Boise area is where we keep checking on so what do you think???? Idaho anyone????????
I spent a lot of time in Moscow, Idaho while studying 8 miles away at WSU. Moscow is also a university town and was a lot of fun. Beautiful country to the North with some good trout streams. Too far away from the ocean though.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Idaho anyone????????
I agree - it's a gorgeous state - so is Montana. The thought of living there in the winter makes me shivver just thinking about it! Burrrrrrrrrr!

Quote:
Wow!! Lucky you JimandRod
Thanks - we do feel fortunate that we've been able to see all of the USA. However, the trips weren't always a lot of fun. Rod is retired from the US Army Band and they were on tour quite a bit - I retired from the US Dept of Justice and my job took me all over the country. It sounds glamourous but in 1998 I spent 26 weeks on the road (generally out every other week). It got tiring. But... in between all of that we've made some pretty cool multi-state road trips that were a lot of fun. We call it "splorin."

One thing I can say is that this is a beautiful country! It's a real privilege to be able to choose to live wherever you want!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #79
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hey Brian and Donna, this is a great thread...most every seems to like where they live, whether they moved there intentionaly of just by circumstance, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but...if what you are looking for is more sense of community, you can just move down to our area...the East Bay is great; nice towns with real down towns and lots of community activities, closer to the beaches, great access to the bay, the bike path, Colt Park, etc...this would allow you to stay with your business (unless you don't want/need to in a few years) and still be close by to family (unless you don't want/need to).

You guys are young...are you planning to retire soon?
What about the family business?

We love where we live, I ride my bike to work 10 months out of the year (EB Bike path!) and our downtown area is awesome (pubs, restaurants, library, harbor,etc) and there is always something going on;the country's oldest and largest July 4th celebration, XMAS celebration, art shows, concerts,.....
You should take a drive down some time and we'll take a walk/bike ride around town,
Just thought I'd offer one more option that would allow you to stay fairly close by...

Bill
Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Interesting idea Bill!! No we're not going to retire but 12-15 hour days are getting old after 22 years. There's more to life than the family business and work. I'll still need to work just not like this. There's a difference between a job that you do for income and a job that's all consuming. I also want more open space, more mountains, less east coast attitude etc. I still have some work to do here for a couple of years but we are going to do this so we wanted to start getting ideas etc..
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD