Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #41
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Based on not having to work...
Less than a days drive to mountains or beach.
Not too hot/cold.
No hurricanes.
Green grass.
Four seasons.

50 miles either side of yellow line.
Tyler to Richmond...about.
I'm liking Auburn, Alabama and most of South Carolina (except their flag)

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Great Thread.
I have often thought of the same thing. I have few reasons to be where I am, so I too will watch this thead with great interest.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am an army brat that has lived in fourteen states and a foreign country. I use to drive a truck around the country and followed the Grateful Dead around the USA for two summers. I have been blessed to see all of the lower 48 states, parts of Canada and a good chunk of Mexico. I have seen some wonderful and some down right scary places. I now live just outside of Baltimore MD. My city has more people living in it than the whole state of Wyoming. My wife and I have had wanderlust for years now and we have been exploring other places in a serious manor. I just keep feeling the grass is greener someplace else.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
"Minnesota."

Didn't they become part of Canada?
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
After our son graduated we knew it was time to leave the big city, Dallas, where I'm from. Among other areas we investigated (western New Mexico, southern Utah), we travelled to Portland, ME Boise, ID and Spokane, WA. Decided that while we liked them, the winter was simply too long (or other problems as we saw it).

We wound up in Corpus Christi. Ahead of the curve for the amenities here versus home prices. The summer is rather tremendous -- the combination of heat and humidity (but never the 107F of Dallas) -- but the late fall through late spring is gorgeous. Winter is about three weeks of, "maybe it'll get below 40F again".

Cheapest land on the Gulf of Mexico as well as being the highest point from Veracruz, Mexico to Key West.

For an outdoorsman it's impressive. I was always jealous of college friends who had their teenage years here due to the great beaches on the various barrier islands of the Gulf.

Worth a stop if you travel the coast.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Utah.

If you like the outdoors, want sunshine, four seasons, North America's greatest mountains, and so much more.

It really just can't be beat.

I am a non-Mormon who thinks it's hands down the best state in the Union.

I know there is a lot of anti-Mormon sentiment out there which I've never understood. I am a gay man who they treat wonderfully.

Just go to Utah you will love it.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
There must be as many answers to your question as there are people who offer answers. I think both Money & Furtune magazines write articles about good places to live & I think I remember seeing both of them on-line. Having lived and explored all around the country, I have found their recommendations to line up with my thoughts in those areas in which I have had experience.

There is no simple answer to your question but, having been born, raised and educated in West Virginia and then having either lived in or toured in nearly every other state, I can guarantee you there is one hellova beautiful country filled with warm and friendly people west of New England!

If you are adventerous, adapt well to change and can make a living in other places, I suggest you consider the potential of enriching your life by experiencing other regions.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
St. Helens , Oregon
If you're a computer geek and like to ski, Oregon or Washington should be in your sights. Lots of programmers work from home (can you say: No commute!), skiing is year 'round (glacier on Mt. Hood for example), hunting and fishing are supurb--hey, you can hunt in our pasture to pick off some of those elk that keep eating all our apples. Both OR and WA have extensive wine industries--good stuff. You mention Rhode Island, so you may be interested in sailing. None better than sailing through the San Juans. Fabulous sail boarding in the Columbia Gorge (and Hood River, OR is a wonderful place to live: close to major city (Portland) but less rain, very close to Mt. Hood for great skiing and the Gorge for water sports. We live in St. Helens, OR (No, not the mountain, though we can see it from our front porch across the Columbia River and some 30 miles into Washington). Nice little laid-back community, about 30 miles from Portland. Best luck on your search. I've lived in Idaho, Texas, Washington, Alaska and Oregon. Oregon's my favorite. Nancy
James Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
"Minnesota."

Didn't they become part of Canada?
"Florida"

Figger out how ta vote, yit?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #50
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Here's a starting place - our town made the list last week, but they haven't updated it yet. Walkable Communities, Inc.
The actual start page is here.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
"Florida"

Figger out how ta vote, yit?
They know how to vote. It’s the counting that trips them up!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
no toronados, no snow, no earth quakes, no floods, 300 days of sun a year, no freeways, medical school, no sunamis, relaxed pace, not too hot
Tucson
You are so right but should add we are only 2hr from the cool pine trees above the mogollon rim in the summer and lot of camping in the desert in the winter.Can camp all year round and do not have to drive over a few hours to many good places.
Valley of the sun (Phoenix metro area)also has the Mayo clinic and hospital.
I was camping 160+day last year ALL IN ARIZONA and that is good with gas costing so many $$$$.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thank you all so far for all of the ideas and suggestions. We're certainly hearing of some places that we hadn't thought about. Jerry I think that you captured it right, I guess we want to enrich our lives. Thanks again for the ideas, keep'em coming.......
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Water next Gasoline !

Were looking also. Great thread. I think a good Drinkable water supply will Very important in ten years! Water will be our next "Gasoline"
Gas will be $10/gal. Water $2.50/gal. Soylent Green $ 5.00/pd.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
What part of Texas??? What do you like about it???
I am in the Southern Panhandle of Texas near Lubbock, TX...the home of Texas Tech University, a member of the Big 12 Conference.
Texas Tech is a leader in engineering, pulse energy technology, nano technology, agri-research, business, financial planning, law, pharmacy, and medicine.
Lubbock has the largest medical community between Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver because of the Texas Tech University Medical School.
Lubbock has the friendliest people you will find anywhere, and lots of land and sky making real estate prices among the lowest in the nation per square foot.
The climate is semi-arid with about 18 inches of rainfall per year average.
We produce 25% of the nation's cotton within 70 miles of Lubbock TX.
The arts flourish in Lubbock's music scene, and well known artists such as Glenna Goodacre hail from Lubbock.
Abundant sunshine, low humidity, mild Winters, and non-oppressive Summers make Lubbock a nice an overall climate as can be found in a semi-rural, low tax, low crime, university town. There will be about 7 days a year on average with high winds and blowing sand in the air....(population control for true Yankees).

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
We spent time in the panhandle of Fl @ Panama City. It was very nice, beautiful water but maybe a bit too hot in the summer for me.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wherever you go, there you are...

Travel is enriching, especially when done with no fixed timetable or destination. Being able to stop in a small town in Tennessee or a beautiful mountain trail or get happy in the Conch Republic is a great experience.

Over the long haul most places become what you bring to them. Complainers will find something to complain about wherever they are. Optimists will love wherever they light.

Knowing who you are and what you really want - and most importantly being able to say "this is good enough" will be the things that will bring you the most contentment.

The realities of maturity and beyond do dictate certain things - I was about 24 when I decided that Lake effect snows and icy sidewalks were a distinct danger to my health! I didn't have to wait for osteoporosis for that one, but I now see many of my classmates finally running from the brutal winters - so as several other posters have said:
  • good medical care
  • public transportation
  • availability of recreation you enjoy close to home
  • reasonable prices and good values for housing
  • safe neighborhoods
All these play into selecting a retirement home.

Of cours if that "Home" is silver and on wheels, becoming a snowbird can be a good thing.

Paula
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fallbrook , California
Albuquerque?

My wife and I have lived in San Diego, Hawaii, Palm Beach FL, and back to San Diego in the past 6 years. We have two kids, aged 5 and 3. For year round climate nothing beats San Diego, it is just expensive to live here (housing and fuel for long commutes). Florida was cheaper but we got slammed by 3 hurricanes when we were there (none since we moved away). We too are looking to re-locate. Albuquerque has factored into our list although the winter temps are a bit cool. I should add that we both lived the first 30 years of our lives in Victoria, BC, Canada so we have tried to avoid rain/wind/cold during the winter months.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
St. Helens , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
There will be about 7 days a year on average with high winds and blowing sand in the air....(population control for true Yankees).
Oh, David, you brought me a sudden memory. I used to work for the Texas Real Estate Commission and had to attend hearings all over the state. One time we drove in to Lubbock after a combination rain and sand storm. Everything was covered on its north side with mud, like muddobber wasps had been very, very active. Only way to tell a stop sign was by its shape! Nancy, St. Helens, OR (where the rain makes everything very clean and green)
James Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Use your Airstream for field survey/research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Just curious to find out where you would move to if you could relocate to any state in the country?? Then what part of the state and why??
When we decided to relocate from Northern California after retirement (aka extended vacation), we took off on a two month exploration around Southern California and Arizona looking for a comfortable place where the winters would be warm and dry. Along the way we checked out a dozen or more communities. We bought an option on a lot intending to build after selling our California home. We expected to live in the AS for the 6-8 months it would have taken to build. Instead, we sold last June, travelled to Arizona via Boston, and bought an existing home in the same resort community rather than build anew. The market worked in our favor both selling and buying. We feel very lucky to have made the change when we did.

Best wishes in your search. You've got the vehicle for research and exploration so why not use it to check out all the places that might be attractive to you.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote