Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
If you thought Airstreamers over the top!

Well, if you ever thought some Airstreamers were over the top.... well, they're not a patch on the Dog World!
Check out this link.... unit is owned and used by a professional dog handler. And no, I don'thave a clue what her rate card reads! (What she charges for showing your dog) But you can bet her clients paid for this unit!
http://www.jodypaquette.com/vehicle.html

Elizabeth in Iowa

Old 12-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I noticed there isn't a piece of cloth or carpet in that rig. I wonder if the furniture is real, or imitation leather.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
And no, I don'thave a clue what her rate card reads! Elizabeth in Iowa
Her rates are on a link further down the page. Honestly I don't know how she can work so cheap.

I agree the 'vehicle' is way over the top. Maybe she gets big tips?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
JUst do the math, as she will likely hit the road with six to ten dogs. She makes weekly as well as daily income. Also makes more for group and best in show ring work.
Nice rig.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Follow some of the links the company she purchased from has a similar unit on Consignment for $170K...not too bad a price considering what a regular MoHo goes for. I have looked into the garage models...but can't justify the price...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
I guess I don't understand the business model.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Exclamation Maybe not!

I don't think she is anymore "over the top" - here's why:

Some folks spend $70,000+ on a NEW Airstream then spend another $40,000 on a nice tow vehicle then buy accessories for perhaps another $10,000 and may only get to use it several times a year. That's $120,000+!!!!!

She likely spent twice that and most likely uses it about 50 times a year!

When you do the math and consider that this is a business purchase and not just recreation - I can see it.

Plus that is one nice coach - but not as COOL as an Airstream!

This is simply an opinion of a retired Axleman.

Happy Holidays,
Henry
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

, Minnesota
That's fine. I want to see the math everyone is talking about, including food, fuel, depreciation, insurance, FICA, workers comp, etc.

Surely someone here has a similar business and can lay out the basic program. I think she gets a bonus for placing first, plus she gets to keep any cash prizes.

I love dogs, but I can't see being cooped up with someone else's dogs for a week, even in a rig like this.

Is it a labor of love, or is it a great moneymaking opportunity?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Okay, checked her rates, and they are not bad!
But I understand she travels with twenty or more dogs! Sixteen shows in aproximately six and a half or seven weeks. She does have two or more assistants to help, and I'm sure they must be paid. But I have been told generally speaking, assitants pay is low as it is almost considered an apprenticeship type of thing. As well, each client is charged travel expenses. Depends which handler you talk to how those are figured!
Good handlers make good money. But they work DAMN HARD for it! Especially those that handle coated breeds like shitzus, tibetans, or poodles of any variety.

I know we use the Airstream for showing, travel with two adult standard poodles. We use X-pen panels for fencing around it, use the awning with sunshades, and put up a screened in unit that is huge! 12 X 20 feet, and hang one four foot fluorescent for lighting. We take hair dryers, and clippers, and all that. Generally, several of us use the screen room for grooming and crating... I know for a fact we have room to set up four large grooming tables, and put twelve crated standards inside at the same time!

That is a sweet unit she is using! Maybe I'm suffering from show rig envy? LOL!! I can't imagine the size she would need for 20 large breed dogs.... and the folks with those kind of units seem to always handle small breeds.... gee, I wonder why?

I read the spec sheet and saw the couch and dinette are covered in leather-look stuff.

And for what its worth, I figure her gross is around 20K or more per month. And then those expenses kick in! Food, shampoo, motorhome payment.....

Yup, dog people are crazy! I've heard it said more than once that to get a dog to Westminister costs between thirty and fifty grand! That is predicated on having a professional handler, and campaigning the dog for long enough to get an invitation!

Ah well.... it was interesting to see how the pro's do it!

But with all that, and as sweet as it is, did any of you notice anything about roll over protection like one would get with a Prevost? That's the thing about motorhomes, and conversions in general that get me.... lack of any real protection in case of accident!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
Elizabeth,

Thanks for the information, it's fascinating! If she grosses 20k/month it must be a hand-to-mouth sort of existance when you figure in all the expenses.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Mark, I would think $20K is really on the low side, a bad month. I don't begrudge good, honest handlers, whatever they earn. Those people, if they do it right, and do right by the dogs and clients, work their butts off, and do it more for love of the dogs than money! Only a handful drive that kind of rig.... and not all top handlers are that fancy by any stretch of the imagination.

EiI
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
I hope this isn't getting too technical, but if she is traveling with up to 20 dogs, how does she handle the waste disposal issues?

And do they all eat the same food? What about toys, do they share, have their own? Or do they go without when on the road?

I liked the movie "Best In Show"
Old 12-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Hope she got a better Freightliner than the $170,000 fire truck that I get ride every third day when it isn't in the shop due to its "ghostbuster" transmission and electrical system. Lots of gremlins in this vehicle