Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I wasn't implying that other people unlock there cars with there antennas, but merely letting people know what I do when I'm in a bind with keys locked in my van. As a Certified Locksmith for 25 years, who trained many locksmiths how to properly unlock vehicles, I just don't want to ever have to make that call for myself. Locks and there associated mechanisms are a great mystery for the majority of people and it's best left that way. It was good for my business and for the safety of the public. I will say that locks on cars technically are not "electronic", at least not in the door where a novice might be trying to "bang around" and open their vehicle. Most power car lock mechanisms are still mechanical in 2014 and just assisted by a powered actuator or just the actuator and no key cylinder and some may be vacuum operated and that's it. I would never, ever recommend you break a window unless its a medical emergency! The risk for your safety and your wallet lies in damaging and/or actuating a side air bag more than anything. The "electronics" for power locks is not in the door, it's usually under the dash. Also, if anyone needs to call someone for help, make sure you use a company with certified locksmiths. I have repaired the damage caused by uneducated people doing it including, but not limited to firemen, police, and tow drivers. I'm glad they are there to help us, just not for that. Most people are so relieved that it's unlocked that they don't realize the damage was done. Even with roadside assistance,I would request it or make sure you are covered for the damage they may do. I had a lot of fun over the years helping people get into there cars, businesses, homes, and safes!

Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
The risk for your safety and your wallet lies in damaging and/or actuating a side air bag more than anything.
Never occurred to me; I've never had a vehicle with side air bags before. Learn something new every day. But I have seen folks damage a solenoid in the door (or the wiring for one, anyway) that actuated their locks by trying to jimmy the lock.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have a set of keys, my wife has a set of keys, and there is another set hidden outside the trailer, but I'm not telling you where!

Same thing for the truck.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Protagonist, that is very true! I still think for the simplicity of it that tie strapping in your own location somewhere on the car and/ or AS is the way to go. Cutting many copies is definitely helpful! I have a zillion stories of peoples woes over the years and I never laughed at them because I'm human too, but this poor guy once called with his keys locked in his car and we went out and unlocked it and then we cut him six new sets because he said I don't ever want that to happen again. He took off and I thought I wouldn't hear from him again, but 30 minutes later he called again furious and said you just won't believe what I did... He locked all seven sets in the car. I unlocked it for free.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You can hide your spare key under the truck, so when you're gone no one can find it. And when you're there, so is the truck (and spare key).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a realtor's lock box securely riveted to the pull-out tray that my power cord wraps on. Box is set to a code that I can easily input in the dark if needed. It has been handy several times in the storage yard when I forgot to take my keys.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #27
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I made three sets of spares in addition to my wife's and mine. One set with the TV and the other two are worn by my dogs who are almost never left alone. Like a hidden money belt, I made a place inside their collars for two keys each.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
theres also this kind that hangs so it could go on the door handle or another place. I doubt someone will take the time to stand outside the trailer and try to saw it off hehe.
Real Estate Products-Lockbox-Combination-Pushbutton - REALTOR STORE
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Last week , after a snow storm, wife hid the spare key/remote for my CRV under the newly fallen snow when it fell out of her coat pocket. However , she is sure that she'll find it ; it's only under at least a foot of snow within a two block area of our house.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Best use for silicone caulk I know of.
Smear some black silicone somewhere on the underside of your vehicle, preferably on something black. If you cannot find something black under your vehicle you should not be allowed to have the keys for it. Press a spare key into the silicone. Smear some more silicone over the key and don't be neat about it. Throw a handful or two of dirt onto the wet silicone. Now it looks like a bit of dried mud. Your spare key will wait patiently there for you and will not have a bit of rust or corrosion even years later. Use a pocket knife, stick, rock, or something to gouge the key loose when needed.

And you wondered how you were going to use up some of that worthless silicone.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #31
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I never lock my trailer, because my dog is in there often. In case of an emergency, I would hope someone nearby would see the yellow placard on the door that says "Pet Inside, please rescue"

As for the truck, this dang dog can lock or unlock it by stepping on the button on the door, so yes, I keep a second key outside the truck. She locked me out at a gas station one time...lucky the window was down enough to reach in !
I too like the retractable "janitors keyholder"
My dachshunds did this with my Ford Ranger in our popup days, at night in the rain. My wife had her keys, in her purse, in the truck. The driver's window was open just a crack, could not get a hand in. It took a long stick and a hundred tries to hit the unlock button on the passenger armrest while dodging two dogs who wanted out. After that, she and I made sure window was open or the keys wrre in hand. A spare key without the security chip would open the lock and would fit in a wallet, like it did in the old Maverick, but I never got one cut....

The new TV for the AS has remote entry on the door.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Hiding a key

We put the key in a plastic bag in a stinky slinky. We rarely use the slinky, since we use a port -a - potty in our trailer. Or we use a hide a key box and put it in the back of the truck under something. The back of our truck doesn't lock.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I hide 2 keys....different ones. One opens a compartment. Therein I hide the entry key. Hopefully you have or can fashion the compartment key to resemble an entry key.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
I've got a complete set of spare keys in a pill bottle bolted to the propane hold down bracket, inside the cover. Painted it silver, you'd have to be looking for it to know where it is. Haven't needed them so far.
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote