Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I want a Kayak.....

Im sitting on the beach here at Padre wishing I had kayak. I want something that is fun to paddle, that I wont outgrow in a single season and wish I had bought something else.

It needs to be comfortable enough for extended use, light enough to go on the camper shell of the pickup and INEXPENSIVE as possible? Who has recommendations of what I should be looking for, good models, even local purchasing recommendations would be good. Thanks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I recently bought a high-end sea kayak through Craigslist - I'd keep an eye out there.

Is there a local place that rents them where you could try a few out? That can help out a lot - you figure out what fits well and what feels good to paddle. (We did this for my wife recently - after trying more boats, I found out also that I'd rather try and lose a bit of weight to fit my boat a bit better, since it paddles so well, than to get something else.)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Picking the right boat can be tough as like everything else there are compromises. I decided I needed a kayak last year and finally decided on a Native Kayak Ultimate 14.5. It's long enough for open water, it's stable enough to standup in and use my flyrod. It's a hybrid that you sit in not on. The down side is it is relatively heavy 60lbs yet easy to get on my truck's rack. I have a two wheel cart with fat tires that slips on the stern that takes it anywhere I need to go.

Hope this helps!
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've been drooling over the Native Watercraft Kayaks for a while myself. They are comfortable to sit in, roomy for your dog or gear, and stable enough to stand up in. They look to be well made. I got to check on out in person last year but didn't get to take it out. Unfortunately they are not inexpensive. For inexpensive I bought a used Ocean Kayak sit-on-top off CL. It was cheap, but uncomfortable and hard to paddle. I sold it and got my money back out of it. I'll hold out for when I can afford a nice comfortable kayak I will actually enjoy using next time.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Is it a Kayak?

Before you start reading, this does not fit the INEXPENSIVE part.
My wife and I each have one of these.
Hobie Kayaks - Mirage Sport
It is so great to just sit back and pedal. I hardly ever paddle any more unless I'm in a tight spot or shallow water. I go way faster peddling than paddling. There is also a sail kit available.
As far as loading, Yakima has some good aids for loading boats.
Yakima Products - HullyRollers
Yakima Products - BoatLoader
for a couple.
Regards, Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
An option worth looking at is a 'folding kayak' (do an internet search on these words). I've used the Klepper brand for 20+ years and they are still like new condition - high quality of materials, etc. The big advantages of folding are they can be stored easier, transported inside your TV or trailer (no wind drag, and secure from theft), don't need to be lifted on top of the TV, can be carried in smaller & lighter bundles (and assembled at the edge of the lake - a really nice feature as I've gotten older), etc. My Kleppers assemble in about 15 minutes - taking them apart can take longer depending on how much cleaning & drying you do so they're ready for the next outing.

Any way you go - kayaks are a blast and add a great deal of enjoyment to any camping trip that takes you by a lake or river.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Im sitting on the beach here at Padre wishing I had kayak. I want something that is fun to paddle, that I wont outgrow in a single season and wish I had bought something else.

It needs to be comfortable enough for extended use, light enough to go on the camper shell of the pickup and INEXPENSIVE as possible? Who has recommendations of what I should be looking for, good models, even local purchasing recommendations would be good. Thanks.
I was looking at purchasing a Dagger 10.5 this fall. A good all around boat.
I have a Wilderness Systems 14.5 I bought several years ago. I use it for ocean,lake and wide rivers.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Dillon , Montana
I've had a Dagger Approach 10-a good all around boat. Fairly comfortable. This past season I paddled a Liquid Logic XP10. A great all around boat and very comfortable. The retractable skeg works well and makes the boat well suited to lakes, class 2/3 whitewater or the local pond. It's rugged and easy to load/unload. It is, however, not as fast on flat water as my Current Designs Kestrel 140--but the Liquid Logic is a much better all around boat.
seeleylaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I also have been using Kleppers(both in the military and as a civilian),a folder with a wooden frame for over 20 years. Check out the US made version at Long Haul Kayaks (they supply to the military)
Long Haul Folding Kayaks Ute
If the Long Haul Kayak Ute had a wider beam, I would have purchased it. I currently own a Folbot Yukon. Folding Kayaks & Folding Boats from Folbot
It is a folder with an aluminum frame.
Both kayaks can be used with a sailing kit. They are both quick to assembly and fun to paddle and sail.

mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Any idea what folding kayaks typically sell for used? I know they're not cheap new, at least the Feathercrafts I've looked at.

I really like my Valley Avocet RM, but it's not cheap and not the most stable for a beginner (we've done a lot of whitewater kayaking and now are trying the more mellow side of things.)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Tom,

I'd check with the usual suspects(Craigslist, Backpage, Ebay) for used boats.
Long Haul Kayak has a classified section under 'Community'.
Here links to Folbot's Forum and a floating boat forum.
Folbot Forum • Index page
http://www.foldingkayaks.org/

Hope this helps.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
We got some good advice from our boat dealer, if you are going to let the gkids use don't get a sit in but do get the sit on. Turns out kids like to do anything but paddle and if they fill a sit in it is impossible for them to empty.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post

If I were you, I'd head up to Austin and visit Austin Kayak - Kayak Sales and Rentals
You can test their wares and make up your own mind.

We tested several kayaks and settled on a Hobie Outfitter, mainly because we have pedaling legs from our tandem bike riding.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We have a Hobie Outfitter and I've found that it's just as easy to peddle single handed as it is as a tandem rig.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Picking a kayak is mind boggling.

First, think about protective head gear and personal floatation device. VERY IMPORTANT

#1 initial stability ( how much it rocks )
#2 final stability ( how easy it is to flip over )
#3 tracking ( how easy it is to go straight )
#4 weight
#5 cost
#6 sinkability ( Is that a word, no it is not, sorry )

There are so many hull shapes to choose from. I guess first decision is
sit in or sit on top. Sit on top types may be safer but you usually get wet.
Kids have fun with the standard plastic Camptown sit in kayaks. They are very difficult to sink, inexpensive, light, and durable.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If you're tired of paddling and peddling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
We have a Hobie Outfitter and I've found that it's just as easy to peddle single handed as it is as a tandem rig.
For those who mentioned the Hobie Kayaks, I just ran across this new Hobie Accessory.
Hobie Kayak Accessories Detail
Maybe, I'll want one of these in another 10 years.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
I also have been using Kleppers(both in the military and as a civilian),a folder with a wooden frame for over 20 years. ......
mark
We, too, have a Klepper tandem that we are enjoying, though we have only had it a couple of months. Since we are at Padre as well, and you know where to find us, stop by, and we can show you our set-up.

Hugh
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
This website will help! Canoe and Kayak Product Reviews - Canoes, Kayaks, and Accessories
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
benicia , California
i actually have an inflatable kayak i bought at REI . light,easy to paddle, easy to set up / deflate. folds into a bag about 2ftx 2ft. cost about $250
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
My mother wanted me to post on this topic, and I did the other night but she says some kind of catastrophe occurred and my reply was lost in the vastness of the internet, sooo I am going to try again.

My wife purchased a Pelican Castaway 116 DLX for me this past September for my birthday, I'm not sure if she is trying to cash in on my life insurance, or just wants me out of her hair for a few hours every weekend. Now this Pelican is on the low end of the price scale, it only cost $379 before taxes at Academy. It is a sit on top fishing kayak, which means it has two rod holders behind the seat, and a removable holder between your knees and you sit on top of it, not in it. Some others have mentioned other manufacturers such as Hobie and Native, and there are others like Heritage and Wilderness that are all great kayaks, but the prices of these are at least twice what my Pelican cost and INEXPENSIVE was mentioned in the original post. I'm going to add some obligatory pictures that I have taken of my kayak and some fish I have caught. If anybody wants to talk kayaks, fishing, or fishing from a kayak please email me at: bgartman5@yahoo.com

I have thoroughly enjoyed my kayak since I got it and I have been out every weekend fishing in it. I am 6' 4" tall and weigh between 240 and 250, depending on how good supper was the night before, and my Pelican handles me, my fishing poles, anchor, tackle box, anchor, cooler, stake out pole, paddle with no problems.

pics follow:

my kayak and kayak transporter

ready to go in the morning

rod holders behind the seat

rear view

me, my son, and a 22" redfish

me and my 35" 20+ lb. bluecat

a days catch

a stingray that I released

my left hand

ready to launch

79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote