Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I want a Golf cart/Scooters

I need some "mini" transportation in addition to my Chevy Avalanche TV when we take our AS to horse shows, rallys, etc. - just something small to get us around the showgrounds/campground. A 4-seater golf cart would be perfect for our family but I can't find anywhere on this site or Avalanche websites the answer to whether or not one will fit in the bed of my Avalanche.

Do any of you haul golf carts in your TV? How much to they weigh? How wide is a standard model?

Do any of you haul scooters/mini-bikes or anything else for this purpose? Suggestions?

A very small vehicle 2-4 people could ride in/on and also carry a saddle/tack, etc., even if its in their laps, would be ideal. Bikes won't work b/c can't carry anything.

Thanks!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Will be hauling a motorcycle

Brad,

I've looked into this and will be hauling a motorcycle, although that wouldn't carry a saddle. The biggest limitation I found is with the load limit of the truck. I had a Nissan Titan and when I added the tongue weight of the trailer, weight of passengers in the truck, and weight of gear and bike, and weight of the truck itself, I was over the GVWR of the truck. Since you may have up to 4 people, you may want to look into this. I ended up upgrading to a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram Diesel which will have no problems.

If weight is a problem, you may want to look at bikes with a trailer. I've seen some that should carry a saddle. Here's a link to an example that came up on a quick internet search:

http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/trailers.htm

There are many more out there if you google. I've been looking into them to do some bike camping.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We haul two scooters in the bed of our truck. It works well for us, they weigh about 200 pounds each.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
What kind of Scooters?

Hey Overlander:
Can you give any more info on hauling scooters in your truck, please?

- What type
- How do you load & unload
- How do you tie them down while under way

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have a 2006 30' Safari and after taking Princess Diva to Ft. Wilderness over July 4th Week End, I also now have a four passenger golf cart. I will post a couple of pictures later if this is an option you decide to persue or just interested in seeing them. I don't have them with me right now.

I have an E-Z-Go golf cart which is one of the lightest golf carts made. Supposedly lighter than Club Car. I don't know about Yamaha or others; I took the dealer's word. Mine weighs in right at a whopping 1,000 lbs. You will need a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, I would think. I have an F-250 PSD Crew Cab and it handled my family of four (kids ages 6 & 9) plus cocker spaniel very well on the only trip that we have taken the golf cart with us towing the Airstream. We encountered moderately steep slopes on two lane high ways on that trip. Golf carts are about 3-6 inches narrower than the inside demension between the bed liner tire wells.

My truck is a short bed and that is something to be very mindful of. A rear facing rear seat still adds the length of the foot pan to the length of the original golf cart. The seats permanently mount and are not something to add once you arrive and remove once you are ready to load up to leave.

I was able to locate two options. One option I considered was a rear facing seat that didn't have a foot pan. You have to add a specialty golf cart specific receiver hitch to the golf cart's rear bumper (yes, they have them) and purchase a special foot rest that fits into the receiver hitch (I found only one source for this type foot rest). The advantage is that you can add substitute a draw bar and tow light duty trailers. The disadvantages are two: the receiver hitch is below the golf cart's bumper and will drag the ground during loading and unloading with most ramp systems; and the foot rest is not very stable in the reciever hitch.

The option that I chose is a rear facing seat manufacturered by M & M Vehicle Corp. in Mexico, MO. (http://www.mmvehicles.com/4-passenger_conversions.htm) Part # EC275EZ. I also chose black roof supports to match the rest of my existing golf cart roof. It would be ideal for what you are looking for. The seat flips over toward the rear of the cart and makes a flat bed truck for hauling light weight items such as your tac. The foot pan folds up so that the tail gate can be raised part of the way or completely if the truck bed is long enough. I'm sorry, I don't know how Avalances compare with F-250 truck beds. I am able to loop the tail gate support cables over the latch pin on either side to support the gate half way closed so there is clearance between the tail gate and LP bottles. I will add pictures as soon as I can. You could still add the receiver hitch if you wanted with this seat system.

However, the seat I chose is actually designed for a Club Car, but is manufactured to fit E-Z-Go also. I had to drill two 1/4" holes in the hinge assembly of the foot pan to mount it to my golf cart. Other than that one modification, everything mounts to existing bolt points on the frame of the golf cart.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Fort Wilderness?!? I'm taking Silver Sally there tomorrow for the weekend. We looove Fort Wilderness and go often even though we only live about 30 minutes away.

Thanks so much! Yes, a 4-seater with that fold over flat bed would be the perfect ride for our horse shows. I'm pretty sure my truck can't handle that much weight though, but maybe I can figure something out (or, dare I say, get a bigger truck - aargh). The "cable loop" idea is great. Never thought of that and my tailgate does sometimes hit my electric jack - might try it.

thanks - b/t/w, you see some pretty fancy 4WD golf carts at Fort Wilderness, don't you? for now, we'll just keep renting their plain old green ones ...

GO GATORS!!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Fort Wilderness?!? I'm taking Silver Sally there tomorrow for the weekend. We looove Fort Wilderness and go often even though we only live about 30 minutes away.

Thanks so much! Yes, a 4-seater with that fold over flat bed would be the perfect ride for our horse shows. I'm pretty sure my truck can't handle that much weight though, but maybe I can figure something out (or, dare I say, get a bigger truck - aargh). The "cable loop" idea is great. Never thought of that and my tailgate does sometimes hit my electric jack - might try it.

thanks - b/t/w, you see some pretty fancy 4WD golf carts at Fort Wilderness, don't you? for now, we'll just keep renting their plain old green ones ...
Well, mine is plane jane french vanilla white for now. I do have plans for adding a Sunbrella rain enclosure with matching seat covers before our next trip to Ft. Wilderness 10/20-10/23 for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

We went the same week end (school holiday) last year and were accompanied by Hurricane Wilma. Fortunately that trip we were staying in one of the hotels.

I think I may have mentioned to you in another post that we are planning to move to Winter Garden in a couple of years. You can tell by my signature line why. My company has offices in Orlando and I plan to put in for a transfer in the spring of '08 after my wife completes an add-on certification to her current teaching certificate.

We figured once we move, Ft. Wilderness will be a regular for us too. That was part of the justification for going ahead and buying a golf cart. We usually go to WDW at least three times a year. When we were there in July we saw about half-a-dozen other Airstreams and a golf cart parade on the 4th!

If you are planning on staying close to your home with your "golf cart travels" you might consider a small, medium duty transport trailer and towing it with another vehicle or making two trips. I know of several folks that post to the disboards.com that do this and park their second "tow vehicle" in the over flow parking at Ft. Wilderness.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
Hey Overlander:
Can you give any more info on hauling scooters in your truck, please?

- What type
- How do you load & unload
- How do you tie them down while under way

Thanks
Bob
Bob, they are Verrucci scooters, made in China. One is a 2 stroke engine, and slightly smaller and lighter, the other is a 4 stroke engine, and slightly larger and heavier. Loading and unloading to this point have been with a 2x12, but I am looking at an aluminum ramp from Home Depot. Strapping them down is done with a couple of blocks and a strap for each one.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Below are a couple of photos I took over Labor Day Week End. The first photo is the tail gate cable looped over the latch pin. The second photo is a shot of flip seat with the foot pan folded up. You can also get an idea of the clearance that the tail gate would have from the LP tanks. The third photo is a photo of the truck with the golf cart in the bed. Sorry, I didn't take one of the truck hitched to the Airstream with the golf cart in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Gate (1).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	25935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Golf Cart in Truck (2).jpg
Views:	4215
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25936  

Name:	Golf Cart in Truck(1).jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	25937  
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
_

. , .
great pictures m'mate....

while it takes more effort to include pics...

they really help for anyone planning this...

couple of questions...

-do you remove the cart top when traveling at highway speeds?

-looks like you've got the regular bed...won't the long bed be prefect for the golf cart?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
M'M:

Very nice pictures. I do remember in the other string you saying you're moving to the area; I'm sure like us weekends at Ft. Wilderness will be a regular activity. We rarely even go into the parks; just enjoy being there and hanging out.

You've got the setup I eventually want. I'm pretty certain the golf cart would be too much for my current truck but it is possible we could do the 2d veh/trailer thing so I'm going to look into that (if and when funds become available ... sigh.) I'm going to measure/size up the FW golf cart versus my truck this weekend to be sure. Heading there about 4pm today ... can't wait. Taking my son and 2 friends of his for my son's birthday - a weekend at FW in the AS is the only thing he asked for. neat, huh?

GO GATORS!!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
great pictures m'mate....

while it takes more effort to include pics...

they really help for anyone planning this...

couple of questions...

-do you remove the cart top when traveling at highway speeds?

-looks like you've got the regular bed...won't the long bed be prefect for the golf cart?

cheers
2air'
I don't remove the top. They are put on pretty sturdy. However, for anyone considering this, the E-Z-Go tops are much studier, IMO. They are a heavy vinyl/plastic material and are made in two thick layers. The Club Car top is PVC and is one layer so it is lighter weight, but thinner and more brittle/easier to crack or break. Yamaha has a similar top. The E-Z-Go wouldn't be subject to this as much. The first photo is of a Club Car and the second is an E-Z-Go.

A long bed would be perfect for most any golf cart. I think even with most rear facing seat's foot pan there would be room to close the tail gate but you would have to make sure you measure carefully if you have either the rear mounted golf bag rack or rear mounted handle. See photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
I'm going to measure/size up the FW golf cart versus my truck this weekend to be sure. Heading there about 4pm today ... can't wait. Taking my son and 2 friends of his for my son's birthday - a weekend at FW in the AS is the only thing he asked for. neat, huh?
Sorry I forgot to measure the width of the golf cart last night. With the bedliner in my truck the rear bumper pushed the length a bout three inches too long to close the tail gate without the seat and fold up foot pan. I'll measure this week end and post the demensions as my cart is set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Club Car.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	25939   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Z-Go.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	25940  

WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
Toy Hauler

I took a 1970 22' A/S cut in half down to 10'6" , put a door in the rear
that I can drive the golf cart in. The golf Cart is around 800 lbs. We still have room for the bikes and other junk.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Fred, do you tow your "toy hauler" behind a motor home? Was it in a recent issue of Airstream Life or Trailer Life? I remember seeing a similar situation in a recent issue of one, I think it was AL, but the issue has been filed at home. There were several AS's that had been converted to toy hauling.

WBCCI# 4821