Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #361
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
jacksonville , Florida
Have you ever seen the recordings of the tobacco ceo's speaking to congress swearing that THEY BELIEVE tobacco is not addictive. Then the company's memo's/letters discovered about nicotine addiction and their research and ways to increase the level and potency. LYING #!%&%*, and they don't go to prison for lying to congress. And I understand that they are making money on stop smoking aids patches, gum, etc.
Gettin ya coming and going.
dwayne423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #362
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I quit a little over two years ago by using Chantix. The only side effect I experienced was very vivid dreams (not nightmares). They seemed so real and if I woke in the middle of the night I would start back where I left off. It was kind of fun actually. After the second week I didn't want a cigarette even when my husband was smoking nearby. I know everyone reacts differently but I was so glad to find something that really worked for me without simply replacing one form of nicotine for another.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #363
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm coming up on 5 years in a couple of days. How's everyone elso doing?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I can't remember when I ever felt better..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #365
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
You can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I'm coming up on 5 years in a couple of days. How's everyone elso doing?
My aniversary is coming up, January 1st 2004. Its true the cravings get farther and farther apart until they are gone for good. Its nice to kiss my daughter and she no longer turns her head like she would when I smoked. Best thing I ever did and just remember try and try again until you get it.
James
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I quit sometime late 1999. Don't know exactly my last day I smoked and at this point don't really care. I QUIT and that is what really counts. Plus I have many funny stories about "quitting". Like the time I told my best friend I was going to have to quit smoking because I wasn't going to pay "that" much for cigarettes. Next time we were together and I lit up she said "thought you weren't going to spend that much". My very rational responce was "changed brands - went to the cheap guys" "I am not paying more". Now I don't pay anything. And have that $$$$ to spend on our A/S
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #367
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
To day is the 20th anniversary of the day I quit! WOW I can not believe it has been that long!
Some days I still have that urge for one.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Stick with it Tedd; you have come this far. Just think $5.00 a pack that's about $150 per month and $1800 a year. Think of all the toys for the redue of the AS you can buy..
It will be 31 years this March for me and that is how I justify my toys.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #369
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
All right, I quit right now. I've been meaning to do this for the last few weeks, but these stories got me going. Thank you all for writing them. I'll go back and read them again when the craving hits.....

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
All right, I quit right now. I've been meaning to do this for the last few weeks, but these stories got me going. Thank you all for writing them. I'll go back and read them again when the craving hits.....

Carol
Your dogs will love you for it. You will never look back but it's a climb everyone who wants to quit has to make.

Good luck, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #371
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I quit on 9/11 It just worked out that way and I dont miss it. Treat yourself to something special, you deserve it!

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I don't remember what day I quit. But it has been over 10 years now, and not regrets.
Only a better smelling house, car and self.
For all those trying to quit - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Susan
Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #373
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I've sworn off--reading the posts of those who have quit.

Must do so as with each successive post mentioning tobacco, I experience an increased craving to step outside and fire-off a good cigar and it's too cold today to do so.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #374
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
It will be 2 years that I quit on February 15. I read a bunch of these posts while I had my Nicorette in my mouth. I still miss it, I'm not gonna lie! My closest friends smoke, so it's tuff to go out with them (and vacation with them!) I will admit that I had a few puffs a couple of months ago. Tasted really bad! That's a GOOD thing! Hang in there....YOU CAN DO IT!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #375
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I have to say, at first I really missed smoking. But now I really do not. One thing that did help me was I was pretty much the only smoker in our circle of friends. So I did get a ton of encouragment. Don't give up. And of course remember all the bucks you will save. Susan
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
For those of you that need a little assistance (I am an ex-smoker 3pk, gave no smoking classes and retired repiratory care practioner) Smoking is a habit and the nicotine is habit forming. The suggestions I used was: 1) take a cigarette pack and replace the cigs with cinnamon sticks usually 3 will do. When one wants a cigarette, use the cinnamon stick in place, but DON'T light it. This will take place of the habit. 2) Increase you citrus intake as this will aide in ones want for the nicotine.
This program has helped several patients and friends. Give it a try and maybe you will be $5.00 a day richer.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #377
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
3 days and counting...cold turkey!!
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #378
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If you want some motivation to further your quitting

In the past two months two friends, light smokers, were diagnosed with COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and another who has had it for 10 years passed. He was carrying oxygen tanks with him for the last year and a bit and it was tough watching him struggle to walk from the living room to the bathroom for lack of oxygen.

COPD does not go away. It is not curable. It only gets worse. Sadly quickly for some, others years before it gets to the point where they are debilitated. Drowning for lack of air. Not a pleasant way to end ones life.

We are really disappointed that it has taken this drastic event in their lives to cause them to finally quit. And one of them has a spouse with asthma and on a puffer, who continues to smoke like a chimney (she says for her nerves) while her hubby is trying to quit, is already struggling for air many mornings or after any strenuous exercise like a walk around the block, and he is very scared. He has to walk quite a bit at work and it is really becoming hard on him. Think if he were an Airstream owner and loved to go camping, the limitations that would put on him. He's mad at the cigarette companies. We are mad at all of them for not listening when they should have been to all of us telling them they needed to quit.

Sad isn't it?

Quitting is really difficult. Dieing is worse. Keep up the good work folks and you may just dodge a bullet, and not a silver one.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #379
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
3 days and counting...cold turkey!!
Way to go, we are all with you. You Can Do It. === We Did, Susan
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #380
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
2 weeks, 3 days, 30 minutes, 56 seconds Ago and I feel pretty good about it.

Anyone else quit recently?
I quit smoking tobacco around 1980 and started dipping Copenhagen instead.

Among other things, I'm now in the last month of my forties and decided it's now time to leave tobacco behind me. I quit dipping Copenhagen last week, and my gums feel pretty good about it.

My body's muscle memory is the tough part - there are so many tasks I do where part of the ritual was to get a fresh dip.

I didn't tell anyone my plans to give up nicotine. After my last tin emptied, I just didn't buy any more. The only other time I quit using tobacco was in the late eighties, and doing so made me sleepy instead of irritable. The plan was to tell everyone I was coming down with something if they should ask.

My 11-year-old pulled me aside this afternoon after we returned home from me picking him up from school on my motorcycle to tell me he had noticed no spit cans in the places I normally leave them.

I told him it was time for me to set the example about not smoking, drinking, and chasing dancing girls. He laughed, but then told me he was proud of me. While I already know he's a lot smarter than I am, his discussion caught me off guard.

I can stick with this.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote