Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Whooohooo! Good for you!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Richard,

Your nagging got to me. It's been 39 days and 5 hrs off smokes, and 11 days off nicotine lozenges.

Where is that web program you use to keep track of the savings?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Congratulations

Congratulations to you ALL... I have heard several times that quitting smoking is the absolute hardest thing to do, physically.

So congratulations all the way around... I wish you ALL the best.

I have never smoked, but I did lose my Dad to throat cancer. He died young, at 63. He told me his dentist had found a spot of cancer, when he called me on my birthday July 1, 1995 and he died a year later on June 26th, 1996. He was a valiant fighter, and it was a VERY sad birthday for me four days later.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Here is the site I use to keep track, I am sure there are others too http://www.quitmeter.com
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Congrats!!!!!

The scientific reason for the better looking skin is that the Nicotine breaks down the natural collagen that makes your skin soft an pliable. By stopping smoking you body can repair the collagen, you will seem to look younger next year than you did last year!

You may also find that you will be healthier this winter, your immune system is able to fight illness 100% of the time instead of fighting the smoke too. And as you said, smoking outside, in the winter, the in and out of the cold puts tremendous stress on your immune system too.

Here is to a happier, healthier, and better looking you in 2005!
Alcohol has the same effect on the skin. That's why folks who are drinking way too muchl ook so much older .
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Finally?

6 daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays, 11 hourssssssssssss, and sooooooooooo many minutes! As I sit here sucking on my 4 mg Comit lozenge and chewing my cinnamon sticks(used to be inhaling cigarettes while on the forums), I hope I am entering into a new era.....already I can feel a change......I no longer cough every 5 minutes, nor wheeze in bed at night..... nor feel tired in the middle of the day! Of course this is the 4th try....but now I have an extra incentive to quit...... Type 2 Diabetes (non insulin dependent) ! I have another problem (don't we all).....my spouse smokes.....so I had to ask her to no longer smoke inside the house or in vehicles riding with me, and ......to lock up her cigarettes outside the house (a tall order). She has graciously consented to help me in this endeavor (a big hurdle). This is such an addictive habit...........my dad, brother, uncle, and grandfather all smoked during their lives.... I thought it was a "cool" thing to do at the time. I've been a closet smoker for a looooong time (never smoked in front of anyone except my spouse). One of the suggestions given to quitters is to inform your friends you are quitting, so that they'll give you support. But, of course, none of my friends know I've smoked for 30 years! So I'm telling my friends on these forums that I'm quitting for good (and for my own good)! My goals are probably not lofty for non-smokers, but I would like to climb a major mountain in Oregon, complete a 50+ mile bike ride in Oregon......and to lose about 70 lbs of unneeded weight! Now that I am a non-smoker....I feel these are all attainable now that I'm retired and no longer have the pressures of keeping my business needs in the forefront! ! I'll keep my guard up and maintain a positive attitude! Good luck to others climbing this mountain!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 AM   #47

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, good luck to you Jim! It's a tough battle, but worth it. I would also like to climb a mountain someday, but I need to get in shape and lose some weight to do it. I'm working out and hoping to conquer a little mountain next summer, Silver Star, right in my own backyard. It's only 4300 ft tall, but the 2.5 miles to the top switchback steeply up 1000 ft. I didn't make it a half mile last time I tried. But maybe this year!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #48
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quitting

Congradulations to everybody for improving their lives

My Grandfather smoked, and had his first heart attack at 45. My dad smoked a lot when he was younger and even though he ran 10 miles a day he died of a heart attack at 54. I finally quit after being a smoker 25 years(10 years ago) when I awoke one morning with a cold, could hardly breathe yet I needed that nicotine and was puffing my cigarette, wheezing and coughing...At that very moment I saw clearly what a fool I was and never puffed again. But man was it hard. I actually stayed on the Alkaseltzer Plus Cold medecine for 2 weeks because I thought that it helped the cravings.

My addictive personality has since lead me to abuse (and quit!) alcohol and caffiene also.

It's been really really good to be completly free of addictions...I call it the think clearly method of life

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Good for you Jim. It's all about the first one. Non smokers, your goal and present state, don't smoke. Imagine your friends you didn't smoke with are around. Better yet, spend as much time with them as you can. Be a social pest. I'm sure they'll humor you.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Jim, I am really impressed! Frankly, I had no idea that you (and your wife) smoke(d)...you both seem so healthy. You certainly mastered the art of closet smoking!

My grandparents and parents were all heavy-duty smokers. I remember going on car trips and getting nauseous from the cigarette smoke - of course they all smoked on these trips and of course we had all the windows rolled up. It's a wonder any of us kids are still alive.

I have never smoked. When my sister visited me at my new digs - Mountain View RV Ranch - we walked around, lit cigarettes in hand. I mean, that's kind of the trailer park way and so we felt obligated. My cigarette eventually burned out.

I know cigarette smoking is the most difficult addiction to overcome. Hang in there...and good for Cheryl for doing what she can to help you with this.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I started smoking regards of Uncle Sam in '75, but finally quit in 2001. After numerous attempts with gum, patches, and counseling, I decided to try hypnosis and it worked. I admit that I like the taste of tobacco but if I try a cig now, I'll go back to being a smoker and that's not what I want.

I also quit drinking in '97 after my 5 year old son gave me a beer from the fridge after arriving home from work. I didn't like that at all!

Now my vice is women.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Climbing that Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I would also like to climb a mountain someday, but I need to get in shape and lose some weight to do it. I'm working out and hoping to conquer a little mountain next summer, Silver Star, right in my own backyard. It's only 4300 ft tall, but the 2.5 miles to the top switchback steeply up 1000 ft. I didn't make it a half mile last time I tried. But maybe this year!
Stephanie,

I've never smoked but your mountain climbing comment hit home. I love the Rockies and I love to day hike and climb mountains. In the early 90s I trekked all over Glacier National Park including one 17 mile round trip up a mountain peak and back. Then in the summer of 2000 I tried climbing 1,530 ft. Cadillac Mountain in Maine's Acadia National Park. I couldn't make it. I attributed it to being "out of condition". By March of the following year I found out why the hard way with a mild heart attack. With an angioplasty stent, proper diet and weight loss I was back to my old ways by August climbing a 4,700 ft. mountain in Mt. McKinley National Park, Alaska while waiting the few hours before our train arrived.

Had I been a smoker I probably would be dead by now because three of my uncles were smokers and did not live to my age. My father lived a little longer than my current age but was disability retired from heart disease by my age. He too was a lifetime smoker. I figure I have enough genetic strikes against me to be a smoker. Actually my natural contrariness in junior high at the local ice cream parlor hangout across from school set my lifetime resolve. Everybody smoked so I didn't.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

17 weeks, 5 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes, 20 seconds since quit
2,739 Cigs not smoked
$451.93 Money saved

I also gave up drinking Coka Cola right around the time I stopped smoking as my taste buds changed and I wonder how much that saved me as I would drink 2 - 5 a day.

I feel better - alot better.
And was wondering how others that quit are doing.

I can smell smokers now from a mile away, and I had no idea how bad I used to smell.

Richardt
Old 02-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
The more and more restrictive smoking becomes in public places the more acute the smell becomes. I can walk down the street and smell a smoker 10 feet away now. There was a time when you could not get away from it be it an office, a restaurant, or any public gathering. At one time we were akin to the lab experiment of slowly turning up the heat and boiling live frogs in a pan of water. In truth we would probably all gag today if we had to live in cities of yesterday when snow turned black overnight from coal burning houses. That I can remember from the 50s.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #55
Rivet Master

38 weeks, 5 days, 22 hours, 53 minutes, 26 seconds

Anyone else?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #56
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
1 week, 4 days, 3 hours and 43 seconds ...

since I smoked my last cigar ... a Bolivar from Havana.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Um, it's been since Feb 13th, this year.... uh. let's call it 5 months and 11 days for both my wife and I. We found that drinking more really helped! Way to go Richard!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
38 weeks, 5 days, 22 hours, 53 minutes, 26 seconds

Anyone else?
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:22 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Celebrate, Richard! If I could only get my Max to try, again. Best wishes to all of you who are taking control ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master

I have just read this thread for the first time, tonight. July 23, 2005.
I have just put out my last cigarette RIGHT now.
I went to www.quitmeter.com and started my clock.
My parents did not smoke and I did not start until I was 20. I am almost 39 now and I need to stop.
Thanks to all of you, I now have the courage and support to do it.
God bless all of you. Please pray for me!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
pattersontoo,

Quote:
pattersontooI have just read this thread for the first time, tonight. July 23, 2005.
I have just put out my last cigarette RIGHT now.
I went to www.quitmeter.com and started my clock.
My parents did not smoke and I did not start until I was 20. I am almost 39 now and I need to stop.
Thanks to all of you, I now have the courage and support to do it.
God bless all of you. Please pray for me!
I'm on my 10th week.. started at 17, now currently 30. I realized for me that it was a change of behavior - a change in how I manage my stress, not the chemical addiction that controlled me.

I am further reinforced due to the fact that a person in my office this week will have a biopsy done this coming monday to find out if he has cancer... He's been smoking 1-2 packs a day for over 25 years, and is only 44ish.

Good Luck! Be strong!

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote