Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
I quit let's see a long time ago---It was June 4th 1979 @ 6:30 A.M in the operating room of the Methodist Hospital in Minneapolis MN. That's when they ( the surgeons) with an experimental procedure, removed my esophagus & most of my stomach because of cancer. Must have worked, I'm still here, but boy do I pay a heavy price each & every day & night. To many cigs.---3 + packs a day--- to much stress--The cancer smoking can cause is not always located in the lungs & you do not always die, but---- PLEASE STOP-- I understand it can be very hard, but if I can do it, anyone can. It helped for me to carry a partial crumpled box of cowboy cigs (Marborol??) for over a year in my shirt pocket. They were there to use, but I was to stubborned to give in to the desire.---- PLEASE STOP----Your family & friends need you.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
I shouldn't even be looking at this thread. After right at a year of being smoke-free, my wife and I started again last week. (Three cases of breast cancer --one death, one probable death, and one survivor -- just did our willpower in.) We're planning to go back onto the patch as soon as we can get down to Taos to buy them this week.

Lynn
all this breast cancer stuff sucks big time. i can't tell you how many of my friends have/had it. i've never smoked...but going through that kind of emotional stress made me want to start! never mastered inhaling (i know, i know, i sound like bill clinton), so i went out and bought a big bottle of maker's mark instead.

btw, i hope to see you guys in new mexico in the not too distant future. want me to bring a box of patches???
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Though I've never smoked myself, my parents did up until about 15 years ago. Lost my grandfather in march to complications from COPD (was a lifelong smoker). My fiancee's dad died 12 years ago from it (he also was life-long smoker) and her mother sits at home now with a tube in her lung and oxygen full-time after spending the last two weeks in the hospital with a repeatedly collapsing lung - also a life long smoker. She also has congestive heart failure, symptoms of early-stage COPD and has been in the ER twice in the last 5 years - yet steadfastly refuses to quit.

Addiction (which she also denies) is a tough nut to crack for some, I guess.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Congratulations, I quit over 12 years now. For the first 3 months I gave up coffee. and I gave up alcohol (JD) fo over 2 years. I knew either of these would have me looking for a smoke. I still think about a smoke but it passes quickly.

I notice more with my senses now, The smell of food cooking, a wood fire in a fireplace, aroma of a romatic perfume even my clothes smell better. I still have a craving for salt, I thought that would deminish. I do enjoy fresh herbs more now.

Pier pressure helped me to quit. A friend and I quit at the same time. It was a challange to see who would break first. Neither of us did.

Good Luck

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I quit when I met my wife, twenty years ago. I smoked on our first date, and asked if she minded it..she said she really didn't like it, although her Dad was a smoker. I put em down that night and never looked back.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Keep it up! When my dad quit he was doin' 2 packs a day.He put the $$ in a paint can
in the basement... brought it up once a year and cash it in... bought vacation property on a lake... and made improvements with the $$$$. It really impressed me. I don't smoke but I try to put away the $$ from one pack a day for my Airstream hobby/addiction. Possibly this will help (at least this is what I tell the wife).
steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #27
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
9 Days 12 hours and counting for me... since going nicotene free that is. I was on the patch for a couple of weeks before that. To be honest, I have quit like 5 times in the last 14 months. It seems I keep dating girls that smoke then I end up addicted again. So now I need to find a non-smoker!

One site I found helpful is www.whyquit.com

I am very glad to have the nicotene out of my system, it feels good.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #28
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Richard,

I made a Pact with my father in 1983. My company was getting stricter about smoking at the workplace.

Dad had surgery to remove a cancerous section from his intestinal tract. He said, I don’t know if cigarettes had anything to do with his cancer and intended to quit anyway.

I told him that since my company is banning smoking at my desk; if he quits then I’ll make a deal and quit with him. That’s been 21 years ago; I can’t believe it’s been this long!

I experienced mild withdrawal, but hunting for something in the garage was the especially hard but that eased up with time.

Some may have success with the patches and other method’s but the bottom line is the person has to be serious about quitting. If your not mentally prepared then you’ll spend a lot of time teasing and making the process painful on yourself and most likely everyone around you.

Anytime I go to a bar or restaurant that doesn’t have good ventilation and the cigarette odor is in my clothes and skin, I always feel glad that I was successful in quitting.

My Father is now 80 and I am 50, oh, does time go too fast.

I wish quitting cigarettes were this easy for everyone!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #29
Craftsman

I quit when my wife got pregant with our son . Fourteen years ago.To bad smoking is so unhealthy because I really enjoyed it. Then again, I attended a funeral for my wifes mothers brother on Saturday. Lung cancer from smoking. It took less than a year after being diganosed. Something to think about.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

3 weeks, 1 hour, 27 minutes, 8 seconds

And still no problems to speak of.

This thread will help me remember.

I am glad to see all the stories of others and hope this thread gives someone else the idea to quit.

Richardt
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

It has been 4 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes, 50 seconds for me.

Who is up for the challenge?
If i can do it, cant you?

I really liked smoking untill I quit, now i realised that I liked it less then I thought.
My breath is fresh, my clothes dont smell, etc...
It is really easy to smoke, I like hard stuff. So I Quit. Can you?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #32
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
It's not easy to quit. Congrats Richard.

I went on a "running binge" after I quit. Sort of like Forrest Gump. I quit then took up running and kept running and running. But nobody follered me.

I eventually did the Charlotte Marathon in 4 hrs. 25 mins.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
Red face thought it was bad to be a "quitter"

I quit 35 lbs. ago, so I am a quitter to. Should have run with MOONSHOT. How far would I have to run now?

Ok, it is turkey day, add one more pound--- how far now?

Bob
wascobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
2 weeks, 3 days, 30 minutes, 56 seconds Ago and I feel pretty good about it.

Anyone else quit recently?
1 year 25 days 6.5 hours.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
It has been 4 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes, 50 seconds for me.

Who is up for the challenge?
If i can do it, cant you?

I really liked smoking untill I quit, now i realised that I liked it less then I thought.
My breath is fresh, my clothes dont smell, etc...
It is really easy to smoke, I like hard stuff. So I Quit. Can you?
Down were you are that hard stuff is clear and comes in mason jars.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Down were you are that hard stuff is clear and comes in mason jars.
And with my store Moonshine Junction you would think it would be easier to come by then it is.
If you are ever coming by drop me a line to let me know you are coming and I will make sure I have a little taste for you.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

7 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, 49 minutes, 55 seconds

I am proud to say I have not really wanted one - period.

People say my skin looks better ( I am getting more oxygen or something).

I must say that people who smoke smell really, really, bad, and can be smelled from great distances.

I am so glad I do not have to go out in the cold to smoke, I was in town the other day and saw people outside the courthouse smoking in the cold windy rain, I did not envy them.

I have saved alot of money ($188.92) as I have not smoked 1145 cigs.

I hope someday I do not look back and regret all the cigs I did not smoke.

(Just so you know I have a web program that keeps track of this or I would not have a clue)
Old 12-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #38
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
7 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, 49 minutes, 55 seconds

People say my skin looks better ( I am getting more oxygen or something).

Congrats!!!!!

The scientific reason for the better looking skin is that the Nicotine breaks down the natural collagen that makes your skin soft an pliable. By stopping smoking you body can repair the collagen, you will seem to look younger next year than you did last year!

You may also find that you will be healthier this winter, your immune system is able to fight illness 100% of the time instead of fighting the smoke too. And as you said, smoking outside, in the winter, the in and out of the cold puts tremendous stress on your immune system too.

Here is to a happier, healthier, and better looking you in 2005!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
14 years ago today I quit. Think of the money I have saved. Less doctor visits and the cost of lighters and matches and ash trays, not to mention cigarettes.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

It has been 13 weeks, 1 hour, 8 minutes, 23 seconds since I quit, I remember I did sell an Airstream that day.
I hve not smoke just over 2000 Cigs since I quit.

I used the money I saved to buy 7 more Airstreams this winter and plan to buy more as i find them.
(Those of you that know me know I am not kidding)