Old 11-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Well done Richardt...
The first months R hardest....LOL, I kn, I stopped 10 times, real easy...Seriously, I WAS a 30+ a DAY Guy...then one day I was made an OFFER I jus could NOT refuse...The Doctor told Me...if I did'nt Quit, well U kn how these Guys work it....
Havin Ashtma 2 did'nt help I guess it's one of the BEST fins I ever done, I kinda MISSED it at first, & got SICK of all the MINTS, & Sweets...gotta admit I feel a LOT better...& I was amazed at how I could TASTE what I was eatin...OK, I put on a few was winter, kept Me warmer...
After ALL these Years tho, sadly I jus can't get My D/W to stop smokin her darn Pipe... funny how I never knew She smoked, until I found it on the bedside cabinet....well We ALL have our little bugs, I guess...She has abt 11 of them now...I jus can't resist buyin Her a new one every Christmas...
I'm real glad We decided 2 get a Labrador...the fought of havin a BEAGLE in the house...LOL....Chris.....

It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master
I am still a quitter! Havent even thought about it, I do have cravings and I do have a bad attitude sometimes, but this too shal pass.

2 weeks, 5 days, 18 hours, 22 minutes, 21 seconds

RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
CONGRATULATIONS richardt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see most of the replys are from longer-time "quiters" rather than recent. I think there's a message there. It is one of hope - this can be done but (always a "but") YOU have to WANT to do it. I smoked as a teenager and quite after 29 yrs. I gave up a RX patch after about 3-4 wks because of skin irritation. I also went through the first week pretty much kicking and screaming (ie: sneeking smokes). I settled in, kept busy and have had sucess since that day - Aug. 7, 1992. Be prepared for the possibility of a little "home work". We threw out a stinky, yellowed patio drape, painted walls, cleaned carpets & furniture etc. In time you will come to realize how smelly the habit WAS. It's awful, really awful.
I rejoyced at the 18 months mark because they say that your lungs have become pink again at that point. Fact?? It worked for me!

Keep us informed on your progress and again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Hubby used Atomic Fireballs - hot cinnamon jaw breaker type candy-when he quit.
sue and ike
'75 Tradewind - 25'
"Cupcake" air-912
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
It's a mind set. Still free 5+years!
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Keep up the good work...the urge will pass...(I switched addictions to Altoids).
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I shouldn't even be looking at this thread. After right at a year of being smoke-free, my wife and I started again last week. (Three cases of breast cancer --one death, one probable death, and one survivor -- just did our willpower in.) We're planning to go back onto the patch as soon as we can get down to Taos to buy them this week.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
I quit let's see a long time ago---It was June 4th 1979 @ 6:30 A.M in the operating room of the Methodist Hospital in Minneapolis MN. That's when they ( the surgeons) with an experimental procedure, removed my esophagus & most of my stomach because of cancer. Must have worked, I'm still here, but boy do I pay a heavy price each & every day & night. To many cigs.---3 + packs a day--- to much stress--The cancer smoking can cause is not always located in the lungs & you do not always die, but---- PLEASE STOP-- I understand it can be very hard, but if I can do it, anyone can. It helped for me to carry a partial crumpled box of cowboy cigs (Marborol??) for over a year in my shirt pocket. They were there to use, but I was to stubborned to give in to the desire.---- PLEASE STOP----Your family & friends need you.
Home of the Wayward Wind

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by eubank
I shouldn't even be looking at this thread. After right at a year of being smoke-free, my wife and I started again last week. (Three cases of breast cancer --one death, one probable death, and one survivor -- just did our willpower in.) We're planning to go back onto the patch as soon as we can get down to Taos to buy them this week.

all this breast cancer stuff sucks big time. i can't tell you how many of my friends have/had it. i've never smoked...but going through that kind of emotional stress made me want to start! never mastered inhaling (i know, i know, i sound like bill clinton), so i went out and bought a big bottle of maker's mark instead.

btw, i hope to see you guys in new mexico in the not too distant future. want me to bring a box of patches???
Amado AZ
1975 Tradewind
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
Though I've never smoked myself, my parents did up until about 15 years ago. Lost my grandfather in march to complications from COPD (was a lifelong smoker). My fiancee's dad died 12 years ago from it (he also was life-long smoker) and her mother sits at home now with a tube in her lung and oxygen full-time after spending the last two weeks in the hospital with a repeatedly collapsing lung - also a life long smoker. She also has congestive heart failure, symptoms of early-stage COPD and has been in the ER twice in the last 5 years - yet steadfastly refuses to quit.

Addiction (which she also denies) is a tough nut to crack for some, I guess.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Congratulations, I quit over 12 years now. For the first 3 months I gave up coffee. and I gave up alcohol (JD) fo over 2 years. I knew either of these would have me looking for a smoke. I still think about a smoke but it passes quickly.

I notice more with my senses now, The smell of food cooking, a wood fire in a fireplace, aroma of a romatic perfume even my clothes smell better. I still have a craving for salt, I thought that would deminish. I do enjoy fresh herbs more now.

Pier pressure helped me to quit. A friend and I quit at the same time. It was a challange to see who would break first. Neither of us did.

Good Luck

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I quit when I met my wife, twenty years ago. I smoked on our first date, and asked if she minded it..she said she really didn't like it, although her Dad was a smoker. I put em down that night and never looked back.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
Keep it up! When my dad quit he was doin' 2 packs a day.He put the $$ in a paint can
in the basement... brought it up once a year and cash it in... bought vacation property on a lake... and made improvements with the $$$$. It really impressed me. I don't smoke but I try to put away the $$ from one pack a day for my Airstream hobby/addiction. Possibly this will help (at least this is what I tell the wife).
sorlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #27
1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
9 Days 12 hours and counting for me... since going nicotene free that is. I was on the patch for a couple of weeks before that. To be honest, I have quit like 5 times in the last 14 months. It seems I keep dating girls that smoke then I end up addicted again. So now I need to find a non-smoker!

One site I found helpful is

I am very glad to have the nicotene out of my system, it feels good.
AIR # 2 - 1961 Bambi - Jeep Cherokee
Campground Reviews: Submit and review campgrounds around the US
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas

I made a Pact with my father in 1983. My company was getting stricter about smoking at the workplace.

Dad had surgery to remove a cancerous section from his intestinal tract. He said, I donít know if cigarettes had anything to do with his cancer and intended to quit anyway.

I told him that since my company is banning smoking at my desk; if he quits then Iíll make a deal and quit with him. Thatís been 21 years ago; I canít believe itís been this long!

I experienced mild withdrawal, but hunting for something in the garage was the especially hard but that eased up with time.

Some may have success with the patches and other methodís but the bottom line is the person has to be serious about quitting. If your not mentally prepared then youíll spend a lot of time teasing and making the process painful on yourself and most likely everyone around you.

Anytime I go to a bar or restaurant that doesnít have good ventilation and the cigarette odor is in my clothes and skin, I always feel glad that I was successful in quitting.

My Father is now 80 and I am 50, oh, does time go too fast.

I wish quitting cigarettes were this easy for everyone!

J&C is offline   Reply With Quote