Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #183
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Lexington , North Carolina
Quitting was not easy but best thing I ever did!

I quit January 1, 1986 (I think, maybe 1985). At the time I was an over-the-road driver and was home for Christmas week. I would not smoke at home around the kids. I went down at the beginning of the week, started the tractor up, grabbed my log book, lit a cigarette and thought, "Hell, if I can quit for a week, I can quit for a week and a day!" I threw the cigarette out the window, then threw the pack out the window.

It wasn't easy. It was just me, nobody nagging at me or anything, but I stuck to it. A week and two days, a week and three days. After a while it became stupid to waste that much angst, so I never started back up. Never said anything either. Three weeks later my wife looked at me and said, "Did you quit smoking?" "Yea" I said. Never said anything else. That was a pretty proud moment. I had smoked for 25 years.

That being said, it took a long time to get over. Even 5 years later, out of the clear blue, I would get a longing for a cigarette. Once again, it would have been stupid to waste that much angst.

Now I hate the smell of them, I will leave a restaurant if there is poor ventilation. I don't know why I ever liked the damned things. Plus, they are incredibly expensive!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Strange last few days for me.

This week I have had 2 smoking dreams. How wierd. But after 30 years of smoking..

Yesterday I had just left home on my 45 min drive to work and while rooting around in the Center Console I found a partial pack of smokes. Oh man what a ride to work that was. I didn't light up and when I got to work I tossed em in the trash.

Since I've gone a month can I come over for the feast too?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #185
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Weather the world likes it or not....2 years tommorrow. Still have the dreams, the cravings not so much....but can't stand the smell now either!!!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
how is crkwolf doin?

Ron thought he saw you on the 2 a few days ago with your AS?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Good Goin' Milo!!

Proud of you to toss the stale half-pack... The hand will still wander towards the shirt pocket from time to time, like when sound of aluminum pop top is snapped open, but the mind will gradually overcome the habits and you will feel much better for the effort...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Debbie, Creekwolf is doing great. She stole my car so she's doin the happy dance. She also seems to have less trouble with cig yens than I do.

John, You sure are right about the shirt pocket. Oddly its getting to be more time between urges. Hope that continues.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Thumbs up Congrats G C ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
This week I have had 2 smoking dreams. How wierd. But after 30 years of smoking..

Yesterday I had just left home on my 45 min drive to work and while rooting around in the Center Console I found a partial pack of smokes. Oh man what a ride to work that was. I didn't light up and when I got to work I tossed em in the trash.

Since I've gone a month can I come over for the feast too?
GC,
Of course you can come over too! Even though you saw the menu? I'll never get this computer stuff. The top of the brownie w/ice cream came off and landed on the bowl of mac & cheez and the milk glass got skinnier. Well, nobody ever has accused me of being a good cook!

Good goin on the ciggiebutts,

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Powerful urges...

Milo-

Just wanted to reiterate story of our Mom, who quit smoking at age 55 in 1972.. She will be 90 this summer, still plays golf and volunteers on her feet Monday's at Monterey Aquarium, but has kept her 3 favorite lighters... She insists that if a doctor ever tells her she has a terminal illness, she intends to drive out and buy a carton of Winstons... She smoked for more than 35 years, has been off for 35 years, and the urge is still there... I quit in late 70's (for last time..) and for me the smell of smoke is a real bother...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Milo-

Just wanted to reiterate story of our Mom, who quit smoking at age 55 in 1972.. She will be 90 this summer, still plays golf and volunteers on her feet Monday's at Monterey Aquarium, but has kept her 3 favorite lighters... She insists that if a doctor ever tells her she has a terminal illness, she intends to drive out and buy a carton of Winstons... She smoked for more than 35 years, has been off for 35 years, and the urge is still there... I quit in late 70's (for last time..) and for me the smell of smoke is a real bother...
John,

I know it's a long term effort. I also think your Mom's plan is excellent! I'm adopting it as my own.

Currently I love the smell of others smoke but in talking to others and your post I know the smell will soon be repelling. I hope that happens soon.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #192
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I like the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Milo-

Mine is a pickup load....let down the tailgate...sit...one match....enjoy! I know i'm better off now and i can take the extra 10 lbs and run with them...couldn't do that before.

Congrats to all of you who a fighting it!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Hearing from all the folks that have years of non-smoking under their belt is a real confidence booster. Lets me know that it's not only possible but doable.
Thanks all.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Congratulaions on your triumphant success!!!!..
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Thumbs up I Did It!

It's been 12 years and 75 lbs ago 3 packs a day ,smoked 1 pack using 1 match.lit one cig with the one that was ready to go out.I had tried to quit several times but no will power. it was so bad I had to lite up before my feet hit the floor in the morning.Got tired of having coughing fits so i quit cold turkey.First 3 weeks was hell. then all of a sudden ,did not want any more. 3 months later I noticed food tasted a lot better. 6 months later I could breathe a little better. now to lose the weight.
Bob
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I quit on Oct. 21, 1988, my 50th birthday. I still have dreams, from time to time, that I started again. When I wake up I'm disgusted with myself until I realize it was just a dream.

Its a day to day thing. You are, at least I am, a drug addict. No different then any other addict. If I would ever have one now, I would be back on immediately. The urge does die, slowly, but it does die.

You are better than that. No drug can beat you! Stay with it. You will win!

John