Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #241
Certifiable

. , .
Way to go Ronnie G! Welcome to the forum and welcome to the rest of your life in the non-smoking "club." You'll find a lot of support here. What kind of Airstream are you looking for? New? Vintage? I've heard many good things said of David Tidmore's operation in Texas. I have no idea how far away you are from them, but from what I've heard, it's worth it to at least check them out. Good luck in your search for that perfect Airstream and in your quest to remain smoke free Ronnie!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
A comment from a Non-Smoker

I have my reasons for posting here even though I have never smoked in my 45 year life.

If you believe that smoking is your sole responsibility then think again. I am now taking care of my 75 year old Father suffering from lung/bone cancer and Emphysema both the result of his life long addiction to smoking. His legs are the size of a 5 year old arm, trouble taking breaths, no teeth, etc. There are alot more health issues but these are the worst. I am not saying all this for sympathy or to try to scare you from smoking - you have had those pounded at you for the last 25 years. The cause and affect of this terrible scourge are well documented. My only reason is to say how hard it is for a son to carry his Father from the house to a car and into a hospital in a wheel chair, then transfer him like a child to a CAT Scan bed to only see how far the cancer has progressed. At one time my Father was a mountain of a man - larger than life in his sons eyes, three tours in Viet Nam, retired Navy Master Chief, his men both feared and respected the chain smoking EQCM, I only wanted to be like him - except for the smoking. Now, in what has to be a period of my life that I never wanted to go through, it is I who have to make the decisions for a man who made all the right decisions for me in guiding me in my life, and it's not easy.

I guess what I am saying is, for those of you who have quit - keep it up, for those of you who have not - make the decision for your families sake, you may well live long enough to understand why.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #243
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I apologize for hijacking your thread and have read some more of the posts. You all have been very supportive of one another and I went and posted my story, which now seems out of context for you thread. I had a rough week and find that sometimes I post to quickly - I wish all of you the best in your continued efforts to give up the habit. Good Luck, Mike.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
clancy boy: I'm a non smoker also, and have been following this thread. I find the mutual support offered very encouraging. I thought your post was very appropriate. Nothing at all to apologize for. Good luck. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
No Apologies needed....

Clancy Boy..

No need to apologize... This thread seems to be for purpose of sharing reasons and envouragement not to smoke, whether for those who recently quit or even those considering quitting (or married to someone considering quitting...) Sorry about your rough week, and for difficulties your dad is going through... Many of us have had or will have tough times, and sharing here is safe way to do a little venting...

John McG
(Married to smoker of 40 years... Working on it..)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #246
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Clancyboy,

Honest, from the heart stories like yours can only highlight the problems and risks, which I don't view as a bad thing at all. Do I want to harp on it? No, for the reason you give - smokers have heard all of the bad. I think what you posted was very appropriate for the thread.
I'm just sorry that you are having to deal with this. Hang in there.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Apology?

Clancyboy, Sorry to hear about your Dad. It did remind me of the main reason I stopped smoking. Not the only reason but the main one. No apology needed.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #248
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Thank You all for the support. We have another big day tomarrow, PET test and biopsy - about 6 hours in the outpatient side of the hospital.

When I posted last night it was just after I called one of my Dads friends to give him the news. The Doctor has passed on that soon the pain meds will completely change his life and I wanted them to talk about the old times while he could laugh and remember.

Ya'll keep on track with quitting - trust me on this - your families will be the first ones to let you know how important it is.

Thank You again, Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #249
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
2 Months Today

It's my anniversary ..2 months ago today on January 10th 2007 I butted out my last cigarette.So far so good.
How are the rest of you guys doing on your New Year's resolution to quit smoking?
If there are any smokers reading this that are serious about quitting,rest assured you will find support in this forum and on this thread.Go for it.Your family will thank you for it.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #250
Certifiable

. , .
Smooth sailing thus far. I made it thru a couple of "storms" recently and didn't wreck all of the hard work I've put into this. I am proud of myself and proud of all of YOU for your accomplishments in this struggle. Congratulations Mike on another milestone. Feels great doesn't it?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #251
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Once again - Great going all of you!
Dave
Old 03-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
It's my anniversary ..2 months ago today on January 10th 2007 I butted out my last cigarette.So far so good.
How are the rest of you guys doing on your New Year's resolution to quit smoking?
If there are any smokers reading this that are serious about quitting,rest assured you will find support in this forum and on this thread.Go for it.Your family will thank you for it.
Happy anniversery!! Keep it up. We're pullin for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #253
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I just wanted to update the thread, see how y'all are doing. It seems like the support of the others who are quitting is important to those going through this process. I was hoping to hear from some of you again.
Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #254
Certifiable

. , .
Thanks for asking Dave. The support I have received from other forum members, especially those that are active on this thread, has been comforting, encouraging and inspiring. In about 36 hours I will have been smoke free for 3 months.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #255
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
2 Months and 19 days for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I just wanted to update the thread, see how y'all are doing. It seems like the support of the others who are quitting is important to those going through this process. I was hoping to hear from some of you again.
Dave
Thanks for asking Dave.I'm finally back online after having to totally replace my system today.I've pretty much been offline since last Friday evening when my hard drive crashed.Replacing it did not immediately solve the problem as other damage was done.So I've been offline for almost a week.
Why do I mention this on this thread? If this past week hasn't caused me to have the urge to start again,I doubt anything will.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I'm 65 - got COPD - it severely restricts my life - started smoking at age 15 - stopped lots of times but really stopped for good at about age 48. So if your are struggling I'm here to tell you SMOKING WILL KILL YOU but maybe worse, it will severely limit you life when every thing you worked for should be enjoyed.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #257
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Keep it up guys, I pulling for you all. The best thing that has come out of the events in recent months for my family is that my sister has quit - if that is the only good thing then I will take it. She had some rough spots too so I know some of what the troubles all of you have had.

Best of Luck - stay strong,

Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #258
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
3 months for me today

With the help and support of these very forums I've made it to the 3 month mark without a cigarette.Thanks for all who have made contributions to this thread.
To any who are thinking about quitting you will find help right here on this thread.
GC & MB...How are you guys doing in your quest?

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Great minds run in pairs...I was just thinking about you guys and wondered how it was going. Great job. I'm glad that the support here makes a difference, you certainly have a lot of folks pulling for you.
Dave
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #260
Certifiable

. , .
No smoking for me this year!
Lots of eating though.
I guess it's always something.