Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #141
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Camel Joe got me good :)

My one grandpa (deceased now) started smoking during WWII. He always smoked Camel non filters. I got despondent one time when I was 19 or 20 and decided to take up smoking. Not knowing what to get, I got myself a pack of Camel non-filters. If they were good enough for my grandpa, they were good enough for me. Well, I smoked the whole pack in about 90 minutes. I think that's 20 cigarettes. Well, my thumb turned yellow and stayed that color for a week. And the next morning I coughed up some bloody mass of something. Not quite sure what it was. Part of my lung ?

I started and stopped the same night!

Oh yeah, it wasn't Camel Joe's fault. I did it all on my own.

Now rum, on the other hand, does the body good !

Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
To all of you who have quit or are trying to, I applaud you.
In emergency medicine, I have seen too many effects of the diseases that smoking causes, and what you are doing is clearly worth the effort. Give it every effort, do it for yourself, and for your loved ones.
Dave

Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Keep Quitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
After two years, I can report that is does get easier and the craving does lessen.

You need to fix firmly in your mind the reason you are quitting. That thought will get you through the times when you think you might want to start up again. It needs to be a very rational reason.

Don't make a list of all the reasons, just pick the one big reason and concentrate on that.
This is one bad habit I somehow avoided. I don't feel smug, I feel lucky and I'll send my respect and good karma to all of you who are trying to quit.

I was telling my business partner about this thread last night and he actually confessed that he wouldn't be as happily married if he hadn't quit. One thing that many people don't talk about is that quitting, especially for men over 35, may have a profound effect on the sex life. Part of how cigarettes work is that they cause your arteries to contract. As we age we build plaque on the interior of our arteries anyway... so cigarette smoking over the long run reduces blood flow to our hands and feet and... At any rate within a few weeks of quitting there is apparently a "huge benefit". (He married a woman 14 years younger than he is six months after quitting.)

He tried to quit 15-20 times before he made it. I confess with shame, that on one attempt I physically held him down and stuffed a cigarette in his mouth. He had turned into such a terror that all of our staff was on the verge of quitting. His next attempt (the next week) started after he went to the doctor and got some happy pills.

His final success came after working with his doctor, using the patch and taking some kind of drug that is supposed to help kill the buzz he got from smoking.

His personal advice on the patch - the high dose ones may be TOO high - cut them in half or start with a lower dose.

He also borrowed from AA - one day at a time. He says that even now he still has occasional cravings -and feels that he was still a smoker who cannot face the idea of never having another cigarette - but that he can fight his craving and not smoke just for today. He got through the first few months every day, one day at a time. Now, about the only time he gets a craving is when our computers are down and we're running on our backup systems during a heavy call load.

I never thought Bob would be able to quit, but seeing is believing and I've seen many other 20 and 30 year smokers succeed. Never give up! Never surrender. And if you fall off the wagon, don't waste time feeling like a failure, just start over immediately on "day one". It will be easier if you don't have a big buildup of nicotine to clear from your systems.

Good luck and good AIR to all y'all. Paula
Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #144
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Foiled Again

Paula,I would like to thank you for sharing your story on this thread.Reading stories like that somehow seem to make it easier for my goal to be achieved.I've made it to Day 6 and as the numbers of days grow,so does my determination.
My wife also enjoyed reading your story.

Goin camping...reading your last post on this thread really hit home.I had many of the same feelings.Congrats to you on getting through the rally in 29 Palms a non smoker.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Paula,I would like to thank you for sharing your story on this thread.Reading stories like that somehow seem to make it easier for my goal to be achieved.I've made it to Day 6 and as the numbers of days grow,so does my determination.
My wife also enjoyed reading your story.

Goin camping...reading your last post on this thread really hit home.I had many of the same feelings.Congrats to you on getting through the rally in 29 Palms a non smoker.
I won't tell you it's easy....but it is doable and you can do it. I've got day 15 in the bank and am working through day 16. You can do day 6. I'm pulling for you.

P.S. Something I noticed today... My teeth are whiter. LOL

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I quit new years eve at midnight 1979 ,I dont think they were as addicting as they are now. they put amonia in them same as in "crack" rushes right to your brain. Dont let them do this to you ,dont go back,save money and spend it on something for your airstream!

be strong good luck

Doug
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
Congrats to all who have beat the smoking habit !!

I just finished reading this whole thread. I can say that those that still do not smoke... keep it up!

Streamer23... I quit when I was 31... took it up @39 and kept smoking 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day.... all kinds... but settled on Pall Mall unfiltered. As I got older and more of the bad facts came out, I knew I had to quit. In '98 - lost my Dad to cancer (never smoked), in '99 I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer. KNEW I should quit. Got treated. In 2000 lost my Mom to lung cancer. That hit me hard. So started cutting back. In 2001, lost both of my internet companies. BUT for my 55th birthday ('01)... I quit. Cold Turkey. Done.

But, in Jan. '02 had to have bypasses done. Supposed to be 3 ended with all 5. They even had to go into my left arm to harvest the bypass stuff. Supposed to be in the hospital 6 days...... I got home5 months later. Died twice, life support for a month, intensive care another month. When I did get home, could not walk or talk. Little by little, with exercise, got back to movement and speech did come back. However, even today, when tired, I start to lose my voice.

In Nov. '03, had to have a aorta-vemoral bypass done for my legs. The doctors said I have PAD... the artery disease FROM SMOKING. If you smoke, check it out. My walking is limited, as my legs tighten up.

Bottom line - the ONLY thing I honestly reqret in my life is that I ever smoked. No, it was not just the smoking, but the PAD is almost always found in smokers.

With the thousands of dollars I have saved - I bought my Airstream.

If you are trying to quit - or feel like you want to smoke again - go for a walk and ask yourself..... I am willing to possibly lose my ability to walk.... for a cigarette?

I'll be airstreaming .... while I can.

Good luck to all....
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Wow, tough story. Hang in there, congrats on rising above a bad situation. Keep a positive outlook, it's so important.
Dave
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #149
Certifiable

. , .
What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I have 16 days under my belt right now and do not want to start smoking again. Thank you all for posting to this thread. It does make a difference.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #150
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Tom Randall

I'm listening.You definately got my attention with your post on this thread.With all the information that is available on the risks of smoking many still can't quit until the damage is done or it's too late.
I started when I was 30(now 46) and was a half-pack a day smoker.Not alot of cigarettes by some standards but even 1 is bad.
I'm now convinced that there is no good reason to smoke.It's only been 6 days for me but this was the major hurdle for me in the past when I thought about quitting.It is also the reason that I KNOW that I will be successful this time.
I can't say enough how much the support of other forum members who have quit and provided encouragement to me has meant and I thank you.
For others contemplating quitting,I hope this thread can be as helpful to you as it has been to me.

Pack of cigarettes...$11.00
To be smoke free...Priceless

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #151
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Goin campin and Mistral Blue

How are you guys doing?Have you stayed strong and are either one of you using any sort of aids to quit?
So far,so good and am almost through Day 9.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Congrats Mike, and the rest of you going through this. Stay with it, it's worth it. I've seen both sides of this - those with the unbelievable breathing and other medical issues, and I've also see some success stories. Keep us posted, I want to hear some more success stories!
Dave
Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
How are you guys doing?Have you stayed strong and are either one of you using any sort of aids to quit?
So far,so good and am almost through Day 9.
I'm on day 19 and still stayin strong.

You can do it streamer23. We can do it.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:39 AM   #154
Certifiable

. , .
So far so good here too. I still do get the occasional urge, though. A second or two later I'm fine. No aids/devices. For some reason I don't get their logic. I figure it's all in the mind at this point. I don't know where I got this but the physical addiction lasts only 100 hours. After that it's all in yer head. At least that's how I operate, but what do I know? I was a fool to start in the first place. Keep strong streamer23 and Gc