Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #127
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Guys - you've got to be ruthless. I managed to quit when I finally got mad at the craving and decided I was more stubborn than the nicotine. Every hour that goes by, you are getting stronger, whether it feels that way or not. Don't listen to the constant voice that says "you don't really want to quit - you enjoy smoking, after all."

What you will find, if you make it, is that what you enjoyed was satisfying the nicotine craving. That leads to a never-ending cycle.

Be ruthless and remain determined.

Pat

Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #128
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Day 2

37 hours and counting.Quitting is a BIG DEAL to me.
This is like a therapy group.Goin camping and Mistral Blue, good luck on Day 12.You've gone this far and should be through the toughest time.Mistral,I hear ya on the weight thing.
Just got back from a walk.On the way back I could smell cigarette smoke in the air twice but could not see the source.This never happened when I smoked,it just wasn't noticed.It's the little things I guess.Didn't smell that good which is great.
I am more convinced than ever this is the right decision.Thanks to all those providing support.It really does make it easier.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
592 days or 84 weeks and 4 days...I don't miss it at all but know the nicotine would get me if I ever smoked again. The stuff is more addictive than heroine! Once you can get it out of your system things get much easier.
Best of luck. Dave
Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Good going boys! Going & Blue have a great start. Mike, if you think the smoke you smelled on your walk wasn't all that good just wait a few weeks. You will all get to a point when you can't believe you went around smelling like that. My dad told me that and when it happened to me I was shocked and embarressed to realize people must have thought I smelled as well.

Guys, be sure to save all the $$ you would have spent on ciggybutts..(I call money tucked away not acorns, but "air-corns") ..... before you know it there will be a tidy sum for something fun.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #131
Site Team

, Minnesota
After two years, I can report that is does get easier and the craving does lessen.

You need to fix firmly in your mind the reason you are quitting. That thought will get you through the times when you think you might want to start up again. It needs to be a very rational reason.

Don't make a list of all the reasons, just pick the one big reason and concentrate on that.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You were a non smoker, you are a non smoker. I has nothing to do with quiting and everything to do with returning to your original nature. Unless your mama smoked, in which case stopping is alot harder. Been 15 years. Cann't tolerate even the smell of it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #133
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Alamitos , California
I found that my addiction to cigarettes was only a few seconds long. I'd think about smoking, grab one from my pocket light one up and not really ever think about it again.
Sometimes I would light one, put it in the ashtray, get distracted and later find one long ash.
I realized that in a few seconds I would forget about it.
I took them out of my pocket!
That's how I quit smoking 37 years ago.
Best regards
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #134
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeguardTwr
I found that my addiction to cigarettes was only a few seconds long. I'd think about smoking, grab one from my pocket light one up and not really ever think about it again.
Sometimes I would light one, put it in the ashtray, get distracted and later find one long ash.
I realized that in a few seconds I would forget about it.
I took them out of my pocket!
That's how I quit smoking 37 years ago.
Best regards
Thanks for sharing your story.Congrats also on your first forum post.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #135
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Alamitos , California
Thank you Mike,
I am currently looking (hoping, dreaming) about our first AS purchase. A 16' Bambi. To use as our beach condo! lol! I have learned a lot from the members of this forum. It's helped in every way! There are many things to consider before a purchase. Thanks to all the members who share their knowledge and time so freely. It really helps!
All the Best,
Don
p.s. I was an Inhalation Therapist before I married my wife of 34 years!
and you really want to stop smoking. (I had to stay on topic)
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #136
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
I quit on the day before Thanksgiving. I stopped my 3 pack of Camel habit in 1994. I started smoking cigars in 2005. Not a wise move so I quit...Cold Turkey both times. Once you get through a couple of craving days you'll be fine.

Stay strong...
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #137
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEspresso
I quit on the day before Thanksgiving. I stopped my 3 pack of Camel habit in 1994. I started smoking cigars in 2005. Not a wise move so I quit...Cold Turkey both times. Once you get through a couple of craving days you'll be fine.

Stay strong...
Thanks for sharing and for the encouragement to those of us trying to give up the habit.
I find it interesting that so many of the folks that quit know exactly when they did it.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #138
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Day 3

58 hours

First two days were easier than I expected but today I've really got the craving for a cigarette.

I keep telling myself that I am bigger than this and focus on my main reason (thanks markdoane) for quitting.

Soon time to go for a walk or something else to keep me busy.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
...laugh at that monkey!

I have been a non-smoker for 21 years and 3 months. I was a true addict, at times smoking 3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey and it was the hardest thing I have ever done (and I have had some rich emotional experiences)!

My constant mantra is: Never take the monkey for granted! I thought I was free 10 years ago. In fact second hand smoke really was offensive. My father was in the hospital dying of OCPD (guess how he got that?) and I had the mother of all chest colds w/ bronchitis. In spite of reality, I had an urge to go out for a smoke. I ralized I probably would have fainted, and I thought it through and didn't go. (As you have read...the urge will always pass. It just takes longer at the outset. ) A freind's father had quit for 10 years and started up again when on a peaceful fishing trip. So there is no telling when you will be confronted. I learned then that this is a monkey that will always be on my back, and it is my job to disappoint the little monster. And I keep doing it. I can't remember the last time I entertained the thought of smoking, but I often think about how wonderful it is that my hair and clothes and home don't smell, I have saved thousands of dollars.... Well, you know the list.

I have never checked out the Phillip Morris website for quitting, but I hear it is very helpful. Use all of the tools you can. And if you do slip, just get right back at it. I had several false starts years ago. My son in law has had some slips and now doesn't even try because he is ashamed of having failed. It is sad to see him have to leave to go out for a smoke and I can't imagine the strain on their budget.

Be strong....look at how many of us ar on your team!!! And that's just the ones you know about!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
How I fight the urge

Day by day. Hour by hour. Minute by minute and sometimes second by second. Every day or urge I get past is what I measure victory by.

I was talking with a group and someone lit one up and my mouth watered. Egads it smelled sooooooo good. A few deep breathes later I excused myself and went for a walk.

Stay strong. Sometimes its easier than others but you can't give in even for a second.

I'm pullin for you. We are in this together.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote