Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you feel about karma
miss karma and want it back. 54 81.82%
good riddance hope it stays gone 12 18.18%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I miss karma so...

I really miss the old karma system. I know the "thanks" is the same thing and works the same way, but "thanks" is different than "karma" I was reading a thread where purman is giving away his entire interior to anyone that needs parts. He only wants to be compensated for shipping. As we all know, all those parts could add up to a small pile of money if they were to be sold on ebay. Instead, he is helping others. He is exhibiting great Airstream Spirit. I sent him "thanks", but it just does not have the same implications as "karma". I hope others will send him thanks for his actions.

So here is where I am going.... Could "karma " be brought back? Could it be voted on in a poll and if a sweeping majority wanted it back, it could be put back. Is that possible? Or maybe it could be a second option to give "thank" or to also hit the "karma " button. Or another idea is that you could offer a super enhanced account where those people willing to pay even more would be able to give "karma" again. I would double my yearly donation just to have this feature. I would even allow more advertisement to be on my screen to have the right to give "karma" again. I realize a "karma blocker" feature will need to be created also for some forums members do not want to receive it(or maybe they just objected to getting it from me). Please consider this folks.

I would love to see karma return
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I agree.Thanks just doesn't seem the same and sometimes doen't really apply to the situation.

Ps..I accept thanks or karma

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
you could offer a super enhanced account where those people willing to pay even more would be able to give "karma" again.
I don't now if it's good karma to buy karma
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe we went through three different Karma systems before we scrapped it and went to the "thanks" system. The new system has no charm.

Part of the problem with the old Karma system was senior members who accumulated so much Karma they had to rein in their Karma giving. Getting Karma from one of those members was like getting hit by the Karma truck. Made you cry like a little girl.

The thanks system is a really poor substitute. I say we scrap the whole system and just send someone a PM.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's what's missing, a truck load of karma! Has it been merely a series of coincidences and misfortune that is befalling? Quick someone appease the karma powers. The whole world is suffering. The balance has been disturbed. We haven't been producing enough good karma for it to come back to our lives. Oh when will we learn, oh the horror of it.

True Life Karma - Online Karma Test - Predict Your Fate

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Talk about bad karma! You take test to gauge your karma and then you can't get the results unless you agree to buy stuff from JC Penny.

Posting that link would cost you karma!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
OMG I have been transformed into an angel of darkness! My bad I didn't take the test yet. I've just kept it on my desktop and finally muted that annoying music. Sorry. Tell you what give me your answers or post them here and we will all tell you how you rate.

Although if buying those curtains from Penny's I have had my eye on will change my life's karma I might just be so inclined. LOL

photography
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm not familiar with the old "karma" system since I'm a relative newcomer to the forums. I'll let others who know better vote one way or another, but I will add this thought. I would prefer any system be private and voluntary. When I try to help a person, here or in real life, it's simply a reflection of my life philosophy. Something about the quanitification of "goodness" leaves me a bit uneasy.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I voted NO, but do whatever you want as long as you don't bring back the opportunity to give negative karma. To this day will not speak with the person that gave me negative karma for a personal negative bias that had absolutely nothing to do with the content of the message I posted. It ruined my day and even that administrators could not remove it. Letting people give negative karma promotes disharmony. If you can't say it in a public post, you shouldn't be able to say it in a private negative karma post.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bring it back bring it back bring it back.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I agree with Joe on the bad karma feature. I never gave any bad karma but received it once and it felt pretty devestating. It felt like being sent a box of dead roses intentionally. If people have a grievance they should be up front and lay it right out and have it done with and not let snipers do a clandestine driveby.

photography
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Yes, bring karma back. Good karma only please. Karma was special. "Thanks" just seems so trite.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Bring it back.
I may be in the minority, but also bring back the old point system, or something like it. I felt it more gratifying to give karma after I was here for a while, and also to get it from the veterans.
I find that I don't leave "thanks" as often as I used to leave karma. Maybe that's bad karma?
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Can someone bring me up to date? What do you see as the difference between Thanks and Karma. The recent comments I receive may include a note of thanks but more often refer to the content of my post.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
while i'd like to see karma come back it seemed to offend some folks. so, in the name of harmony, can we give HUGS? hugs were a favorite of Ingrid.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks expresses gratitude, karma is a reward according to one's deeds, hugs or perhaps warm fuzzies is to comfort and reassure or be friendly and affectionate.

kuddos might work=honor; glory; acclaim And if we still have a hankering to punish we could give out cooties. OK I am kidding, I am not into punishing.

photography
Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I probably seem like a "nervous Nellie" about this, but hey, how hard is it just to write a PM to give someone some positive feedback? Or simply post and say "thanks." Again, I don't know anything about the old karma system, but it feels a little like "keeping score."

It's my impression that most of the folks on the forum are "good people." This said, not everyone is going to hit it off. We have our share of experts and not all of those experts agree. Need an example, I give you two words: "Tow vehicle." I share the concern about well intentioned forum participants accruing negative karma simply because of a technical difference of opinion or simple personal bias.

My suggestion: while this poll is ongoing, take the time to tell someone thanks. Share a hope or a dream or a memory. We don't need a system to generate positive karma.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
. . . And if we still have a hankering to punish we could give out cooties. OK I am kidding, I am not into punishing.
Only girls can give you cooties. What about us guys?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I sent him "thanks", but it just does not have the same implications as "karma". I hope others will send him thanks for his actions.
It's the exact same system as karma, we just changed the word.
Quote:
Could "karma " be brought back? Could it be voted on in a poll and if a sweeping majority wanted it back, it could be put back. Is that possible?
Sorry, it's technically not possible. It's the same system that was used for karma we just changed the word and configured it so that each thanks for every member is worth one point. Simple and easy to understand.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Part of the problem with the old Karma system was senior members who accumulated so much Karma they had to rein in their Karma giving. Getting Karma from one of those members was like getting hit by the Karma truck. Made you cry like a little girl.
Personally, I liked driving the Karma bus...
But the old Karma system has been scrapped, so even if we changed the word from "Thanks" back to "karma", it would be the same thing we have now, rebadged.
To call a rose by another name would have it smell as sweet...

After posting the above, I see Andy R said pretty much the same thing. You gotta love the new millenium, everything's in stereo...