Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
I made a mistake..........

Long story short, I will be selling my AS I have had only had a year.

This is just not for me.......I worry too much about the least little things and it has slowly but surely made me hate to look out in my driveway and see this camper sitting there.

I hate it worse than anyone will ever know.

I made this decision this weekend while camping and it hurts.....

I don't have a price figured yet but will be posting it for sale here on the forums very soon.

I just can't deal with this any more.

Robbie R.
2000 31ft. Excella.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Dude - may I suggest you clearly identify and name the problem.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
The name Robbie is not necessarily a dude's.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Checked profile, yep, a dude.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Airstreams do lead us to obsessing and for some of us, it's just too much. It's like being a hypochondriac doctor's receptionist, being a worrier with an airstream.

If it's not right for you, sell, and feel great about it. It's not for you, and you couldn't have known that. It's perfectly fine to find out later, and correct the... imbalance
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
Strangest thing I've ever read on here!
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Hang on,it will get stranger. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
Dude - may I suggest you clearly identify and name the problem.
it takes INSIGHT 2 realize if/when streamin' isn't yer thang...

so lets not pick ON robbie, he's had a hard year...

simply scan the list of threads/topics he's posted 2 get some notion of the troubles...

imo it's a combination of water, monsters, fumes, sonic noise makers and terminal anxiety ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...oon-56334.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...tch-56769.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...-ok-57267.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...one-57948.html

there is at least ONE MORE anxiety provoking event 2 come...

the REsale of the stream,

lots of hidden dangers in that process too.

rest easy the classifieds HERE and a wad o'cash are just the elixir...

best o'luck and no doubt u WILL find another hobby...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
A 2000 model....makes me think $'s MONEY - a main cause.
A fellow gets in a tight for funds and see's a cash-cow in
the driveway.

Just a guess!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Robbie;
I see it as you learned some things about life, and having learned, are moving on. Same thing with me and motorcycling: I love it, rode a lot, but then decided it was time to stop and not ride again. Best of luck in moving on!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Robbie;

Everyone has tried a thing and later put it aside.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
i can relate (at least a little)

i first bought an 85-to me it was old enough to need whatever I wanted to do to it-experiment, change, and then change again. bottom line, i felt like i couldn't hurt it and it towed like a dream, and i had a good time with it and my better half was gettin' into the streamin' thing. THEN we saw what we both thought would be a much nicer floorplan-nothin' wrong with that, so I began "looking around." well there is a danger in that-lo and behold a model very much like what we thought would be perfect showed up for sale in our area-bought it. It was like new! Perfect! then guess what? I started having difficulty with it, it didn't tow well, I managed to nick my neighbor's fence, puttin' some scratches on...then while parking-some low overhanging trees plus a high crowned street pushed the trailer into some branches-more scratches-my comfort zone disappeared, I felt (feel) like I cannot be careful enough! now, my better half's been sequestered by her daughter and the dang thang is sittin-not being used! I am beside myself-why? well, I think I paid too much for it, have had to sell the 85 AND a classic 69 mustang just to pay for it. I am too scared to even address the scratches, altho i have all the stuff to attempt a repair. AND, it sits. all this good weather goin' to waste...just sittin' geez, i better go play the banjo a little-that always helps. I feel your pain Robbie. be cool and step back about 100 yards and take another look. kinda like Teveah(sp?)in Fiddler on the Roof. distance will clear up the thinking...
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Not any problems with my AS other than a small leak in the rear trunk area easily fixed and found very soon with 0 damage to anything except my mental stability......

Just a year of worries about how to KEEP it as nice as it arrived.

This camper is just too nice and fancy for me.

I am ashamed of myself for not knowing what I was doing.

I researched for months and everything I read told me to do it.

Strangest thing ?

I knew within a week I made a mistake.

I kept telling myself I loved it.

It has 0 to do with $......it has only to do with "it's a monster sitting in my driveway that I look at every day and worry about how it's making it in the extreme heat.......extreme cold........extremely wet.......extremely dry........and on and on.

I am done.

I think it will sell easily because it's so nice and looks almost new inside and out.

It did perfect.......I am the one that failed it because I am a worry wart......

Robbie R.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Bought a brand new ski/runabout boat in the month of May one year and sold it the month of September the same year. Live and learn.....
Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Robbie, whatever you will get for your Airstream today is possibly what you could get for your Airstream in another year or two. The big hits have been taken and now it will just be a matter of listing and finding the right buyer. With the pressure off and realizing every little thing will no longer weaken its value you might just take it out somewhere and use it hard and enjoy what you paid for and perhaps the trip will change your perspective and if not then you will sell it. Maybe even storing it, or trying a seasonal site, or renting it out may buy you enough of a breather that you can approach your Airstream with an entirely different frame of mind. I am not sure there is a rush to relinquish ownership through these Airstream Blues. However if it is indeed the albatross you feel it to be and cannot shake those feelings than it is certainly a good plan to fail fast and move onto happier pursuits. But sometimes when the pressure is off, as with relationships and high expectations, enjoyment and appreciation can return unhindered. Have a last trip, you may be surprised at how much you are able to relax.

I had upgraded several units and then recently went backwards in time and current value, pocketing some money but still having an Airstream fully capable of pursuing fun and adventure. Take a breather, clear your mind, try to alter the pattern of thinking...you have nothing to lose by not hurrying your decision. Sometimes acceptance goes long and a veil lifts.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Robbie, feeling guilty about not knowing everything gets you nowhere. Sorry this hasn't worked out for you. Therapy or meds might help, but it looks like the decision is made and if I were looking for a 31' 2000 model I'd sure check out yours because it must be in perfect condition.

Good luck with your next purchase.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
Robbie - Some people never even take a chance. You sound like a person who knows himself very well. If it doesn't feel right, don't think twice about your decision to let it go. Live and learn and be a Happy Camper for once!
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Wink Travel trailers and things that go bump in the night

Hi Robbie,

I went through a bunch of counseling for anxiety not too many years ago. I learned that it is not unusual for people in a stressful job, to not even recognize the stress when they are working, but when they retire, somehow the stress finds other things to focus on.

One of the many tools I learned was pretty obvious when I thought about it.

If you recognize a source of stress and can reasonably eliminate it, then do it. That seems to be what you have done.

So far I haven't offed anyone.

Good luck with it whatever you decide, and perhaps if you take a bit of time and figure out whether the things you worry about would really have that bad a consequence if they came true, you might come to a different conclusion.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
The name Robbie is not necessarily a dude's.

And a dude is not necessarily a man.

If it were, a dude ranch would be a stag club.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks again for the laughs.

I am fine and no meds or counseling needed here........

I am very appreciative of the different points of views. I feel sad but mostly dissapointed I could not warm up to it.

A few have said I did not give it long enough and a few have said I dry camped and made it too hard.

I tried both.........most trips were horrible and I came home tired and beat down.

I am envious of those who can go camping and relax and enjoy and not worry if the refrig. is cold enough or the hot water heater was turned off during my nightly walk or if the water pump is off at bed time.

I hope I never make this mistake again.

Robbie R.