Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
It did perfect.......I am the one that failed it because I am a worry wart......
I had a similar problem with a 68 corvette roadster (red, of course) I owned for a few years. Only a few, because it was a constant worry to me. Not only was it a classic car, so it came with all the usual classic car problems, little breakdowns, leaky top, and whatnot, but it had a beautiful paint job, tons of chrome inside and out, and attracted a crowd everywhere it went. Couldn't stop for gas without people drifting over to see it. All I did was worry about it. I spent more time polishing chrome than driving it. I couldn't drive it to the mall or leave it at the theater to go see a movie without worrying about it the whole time.

After a while I bought a beat up little Miata with high miles, and used that for my daily driver - rain or snow, hot or cold. I never worried a bit about that car, used it for everything. Pretty soon I realized I had no desire to drive that vette anymore, and all I did was worry about the chrome tarnishing or the dogs putting their paws on it when we were out in the garage. I was happy to see it drive away with it's new owner!

For some reason I don't worry about the Airstream like that. I guess mine is old enough I figure it's made it this far, there's not much I can do to it that it hasn't already survived!

So don't feel guilty, just find it a new home and move on. Hobbies are supposed to be fun!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Best of luck, we've heard other stories like yours, which is why there are so many coaches for sale in Arizona.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Me too with motorcycles. After 2 close calls with drivers not seeing me?, I rode white knuckeled every time! Soon, my stomach hurt when I rode. Party was over. Haven't ridden since. Still love them, just not going to ride them.
I get it, Robbie.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
Thanks again for the laughs.

I am fine and no meds or counseling needed here........

I am very appreciative of the different points of views. I feel sad but mostly dissapointed I could not warm up to it.

A few have said I did not give it long enough and a few have said I dry camped and made it too hard.

I tried both.........most trips were horrible and I came home tired and beat down.

I am envious of those who can go camping and relax and enjoy and not worry if the refrig. is cold enough or the hot water heater was turned off during my nightly walk or if the water pump is off at bed time.

I hope I never make this mistake again.

Robbie R.
Robbie,

That's why there are:

Camping cabins in campgrounds,
Beach campgrounds and beach resorts,
On and on...

Oh yeah,
NASCAR infield campsites and suites above the whole uncivilized world!
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
i ... geez, i better go play the banjo a little-that always helps..
It is relaxing isn't it! Ive been trying to learn clawhammer style for the last year or so - not much good at it but I surely do enjoy it! Always comes with us in teh Airstream - much to my wifes chagrin no doubt! (and probably that of my fellow RVers!)

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Tell you what, just to be a good member of the community, I will haul it off for you just for the price of the diesel........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #27
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Mistakes? I have made them. Man, have I made them. Found out a few things though. First, it's better to give something a whirl even if it turns out to be a disaster, than to chicken out and never do anything. Next, if you make a mistake, admit it, get out of it the best way you can and move on to something better. Even if you have to take a loss.

Sounds like this is your situation. You tried something new, it turned out not to be for you, time to get out and go do something else.

Best of luck, and it's been nice knowing you.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm heartened that a guy can stand up and say "I made a mistake."

I'm double super heartened that the following 30-odd posters were all supportive, helpful and cool with it.

It's great that you figured an Airstream is not for you, but while you may not miss your A/S, you'll definitely miss the people
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Dear Robbie,

I think I could very easily fall into the situation you have described for yourself, with one exception - I've learned that "it is not about the destination, but the journey itself." Sorry to re-coin such an often used metaphor.

So easily I get caught up in the preparation, and make such a big deal about being perfect FOR EVERYTHING, that I cannot enjoy ANYTHING. However, in the past year I have learned to "breathe" and not worry about being so perfect. I have learned to enjoy even the process, and accept help from others (they can do it just as good as I can), and it has been easier to enjoy life.

Sometimes, it has been easier to get everything ready a couple of days earlier, just to relax enough to get into the rig and get on the road, relaxed and able to enjoy people, places and things to the fullest.

Don't worry about the trailer, it will be fine. Don't worry about the hookups, heater, refer, water heater, A/C or DC - just breathe the air, enjoy the scenery and take time to create an environment where you can relax and enjoy it. Invite new experiences to become your new obsession and the trailer can be your best friend (besides your significant other if you have one).

Nancy
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's sounds like your best bet is the Marrriot. But there aren't too many of those in a nice quiet place. Besides that, their AC/heaters are really noisy and in some you can't even open the windows. I wouldn't worry about the AS or the fridge or the food in it. If the food in it goes bad throw it out and by some more or don't take any with you and drive down the road to a restaurant. Take soda, beer and water amybe a little wine, none of which will go bad if it gets warm. People have food go bad in their refer at home and it's not the end of the world. Take it out one more time, have a few beers by the fire, get a good nights sleep and see how things look in the morning. The key is to relax and enjoy the trip.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Robby;
Just realized we're neighbors...I'm in Louisville, Tennessee (and Huntsville, Alabama). There are several Airstreams in Maryville, and maybe one of your neighbors is looking forward to moving up! We live in one of the most beautiful places on God's Green Earth. Wishing you the best in moving forward.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Think of this adventure as successfully determining that this is not the best option for you and that through hard work and perseverance you ruled this option out. I remember your early posts where you were disappointed when others were beating you to advertised trailers and when you were elated that you finlly found one.

This journey gave you those moments of victory as well - don't lose sight of that.

Happy trails wherever you go and stay Robbi.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Question to Robbie, Do you have a travel partner? or pet? We find that one of us ( Rusty Rivet) or I will always found a positive-when the other thinks things are impossible - or more difficult than one would want to deal with.
Hope that you will find enjoyment in your travels = whatever they maybe.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
We bought our AS from a lady who was really sad to part with it; I don't know her reasons (maybe a money issue, maybe health). But, I think it helped her to know that it was being adopted by a new family who would love and take good care of it. Look at it this way.....you have had your time and now you are making someone else happy!

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Question to Robbie, Do you have a travel partner? or pet?...
as mentioned earlier, it's been a tough year all 'round 4 the op ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...rse-59226.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
as mentioned earlier, it's been a tough year all 'round 4 the op ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...rse-59226.html

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air' for the above link to Robbie's post of last December. I missed reading that one when I went back to read his former posts...

Brought tears to my eyes.

Robbie, Thanks for sharing so much with us ... best wishes to you and family.

-- Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #37

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Robbie,

Sorry to hear that you're selling. Only you know what the correct decision for your family is, and I certainly respect you and your ability to move in the direction that meets your needs.

Thanks for your friendship and the assistance helping KMTYME last year with the settlement issues.

Wishing you the best,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robbie

Sorry that Airstreaming is not for you. But hey it is not for everybody. I tried taking flying lessons once. It was not for me. I bought a boat once and my family did not enjoy it like I did. We all make mistakes. The important thing is that we try something new. That is the only way to see if we like it. So sell the AS, pass it on the the next person(s) to enjoy and then try something else when you are ready. All the best to you.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
And a dude is not necessarily a man.

If it were, a dude ranch would be a stag club.

Ken
While technically you are correct. Typically dude ranches are inhabited by dudes and dudettes and the term dude is usually man or boy, while dudette is always the female gender.

Merriam
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I don't see buying and then selling an Airstream as a mistake. Just another of lifes abventures. Some of my adventures are more enjoyable than others. I tried golf for a time because a buddy is an avid goffer. What a collosil waste of time and money!! But from experiance I can saw I HATE golf. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote