Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I find it Interesting

I started a tread (like this one and many others) in the off topic section.

What is interesting is how many people said it had nothing to do with airstreams, Was even called a political troll, and should be taking off. Amazing!!!

Isn't the off topic section for just that? Off topics.

If you didn't want to read it, why did you, and then waste you time commenting on it if you thought is shouldn't be here!!!!

There are plenty of treads that have nothing to do with airstreams, do people ask for them to be removed? or called trolls?

I thought the information was prudent to everyone. And it is.

May be the complainers should be checked out. Maybe they are government moles with nothing but diss-information. JUST KIDDING GUYS

I Find it interesting that there are a lot of threads that really don't pertain to Airsteams, but didn't receive the negative attention this tread did. I have started others (GM wants a bailout, mac or pc, please let it stop snowing,) none of these received the negative attention. Ok GM wants a bailout had to be taken down because we couldn't play nice.

I guess it must have to do with the content..

I think we need to lighten up folks.

If you don't want to read it, then you don't have to. And you don't have to comment on it either Really, we are not forcing you fingers to type. You can just click on a different tread..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Purman,

I agree with your take on this completely. I also believe in an Off Topic forum to discuss anything you would like. Believe me, I stay away from these forums to keep my bp down.

The problem I had with your last post was this. I believe that it was political in nature which is perfectly fine for an OT topic. Because this forum places everything in the Portal I was faced with it when I logged on. Then, to make things worse, a moderator came on and told everyone to be nice, and respond in a non political way. I say, no fair! If we are going to toss things out for discussion, we should be willing to follow it in the direction that it leans. A political post deserves political responses.

I do appreciate the moderators and their efforts to keep things civil when it comes to all things Airstream. This was an OT issue and you were quite right to post it. I say, leave the OT forum in the OT bin and do not post these in the portal.

I suppose I should start looking at every topic in the portal to see if any of them originated in the OT forum. That could be an easy solution for me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think your thread was very on topic. I am glad you started it. Axles, tires, polishing, and now health care can be added to the list of topics to start a war with
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The rules are vague and mods have to interpret them. This makes it a hard job. Some mods overreact, others do not. The ones that are more mellow last longer I believe.

Off topic means any topic and that means anything. So a thread on your favorite ice cream is fine, but when you get near politics, people seem to go a little strange. Call it policy, maybe that makes it ok.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
I don't understand

If one wants to discuss something unrelated to Airstreams, or Airstreaming, why not go to a forum related to that topic? For example: Health Care Forum, or in Gene's case......The Ice Cream Forum.

A "sure-fire" way to start an argument anywhere (forums, bars, etc.) is to mention anything related to politics or religion.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok then Lets talk about the political speeches from last night.

JUST JOKING

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Incendiary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think your thread was very on topic. I am glad you started it. Axles, tires, polishing, and now health care can be added to the list of topics to start a war with
NEVER forget hitches and tow vehicles. That's the quickest way to get a fire lit around here.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I think Americans no longer have the intelligence to carry on a rational debate or argument. No one wants to do the hard mental work to even have a well thought out opinion. We get our opinions handed to us by whatever news service we subscribe to. When someone has a counter to our talking point we can not refute them. We can't string a series of connecting thoughts together to form an argument. Thus the angst, heat and the silly name calling.
I think it was television that did it to us.
All fluff, emotions and done in one hour.
No one today could even follow the Lincoln Douglas Debates
much less take a side and argue it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
NEVER forget hitches and tow vehicles. That's the quickest way to get a fire lit around here.
Oh, I beg to differ...TV's and hitches...psshaw. "Silicone" is the combustible agent on these here forums.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #10

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Nay I say, it is "leaks" and "JC service quality" that are the taboo topics.....
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I belong to several boating sites with much less moderation....the flame threads make for interesting entertainment but thats about all. Very little solid info gets passed and little is accomplished.

I wish those sites were more like this and this more like those, careful what you wish for.

We like to poke back and forth here, ( not me of course) but most of the time it has a more civil tone. Lets try and keep it that way.

Then the moderators could practice more moderation.

I have had posts deleted and after reflection could accept the reasons, yeah right. Really?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I think Americans no longer have the intelligence to carry on a rational debate or argument.
I could not agree more!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This is why There is an Off topic: so you don't have to talk to idiots or disagree.. SILICONE RULES!! did I type that out loud?

Gas engines or better than Diesel.

Always tow to past 100% of you tow capacity. They figure you will anyway.

A SUV is better than a Truck

WD and sway control? I just put on my big girl panties and ride it out..

Now you my all post your agreements with my statements!!!! Otherwise keep them to yourselves

PS I'm repainting the pin stripes on my AS. It's turning out nice. Tinted windows (1 to go) half shiny. It's will be a head turning on the way to Oregon.. One day maybe I can blind people with the shine!!!

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Jason, to be honest, I hated just seeing your off-topic thread's title - didn't like the Big Brother thing. (I don't even like that TV reality series.)

The title kept popping up every time I returned to the forums. Mind you, I've even resorted to only getting the paper on weekends to avoid the daily angering-up of the blood.

So I blocked the thread. Easy peasy. But I wonder if others felt the same way. There's enough controversy out there and maybe folks wanted an escape.

Mind you, things have seemed quiet on the WBCCI front recently...or maybe I still have that forum blocked too...

BTW, you're actually correct on the towing to 100% thing..."they" do assume you will.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everywhere , North America
Thanks for the posting, purman—

Glad you hung in there with it!

Your bona fides and your facts were challenged by a few respondents and you qualified them: your wife is a physician.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to meet ANYONE who is immune to the subject of health care.

What may not be relevant to some (or too unpleasant to contemplate today), may be a vital topic tomorrow.

And as one who has long since given up on TV as a legitimate source of information, I rely on disparate channels, such as this one, for a sense of what's really happening in other necks of the woods.

As for those whose well-being was apparently endangered by the mere viewing of the topic headline:

Really???!!
Air2Go2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Go2 View Post
As for those whose well-being was apparently endangered by the mere viewing of the topic headline:

Really???!!
My well-being? No. My happiness and general desire to avoid getting angered-up? Yep. There are other forums I can go to for that. Not what I want from here.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Jason,
Part of the problem may be that when you open the AIR forums you (I) go directly to the portal page. All the newest posts are shown there, but not where they came from. Most folks probably couldn't tell that your post was in the off-topic forum. That may be why so many were upset. I dunno. I am one that would normally stay out of the off-topic area also, just to keep my even(?) temper.

Just a thought,

Ken
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I could not agree more!!!!
Then go somewhere else.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Robert, are you serious? That is the oldest response to absolutely nothing. I think you are smarter than that and very surprised you would use a line like that. I think you actually proved the op's point.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
For those of you just now joining this thread, let me summarize ...

A french fry walks into the bar and says to the bartender "Hey, could I get a beer please!?!"

The bartender looks at him shaking his head and says "No, we don't serve food here."

Bar brawl ensued.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote