Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Intown , New Jersey
How will an economic collapse affect the RV/TT lifestyle?

I fully expect the US dollar to continue becoming valueless, unless someone in the US government begins addressing the National debt. Other countries are already beginning to devalue the USD against their own currencies. If they stop buying our debt, we (Americans) are screwed. If we stop buying their stuff, they will have to stop buying our debt. I don't see any way out of it. My plan is get a tubular tin trailer to hide in.

How long could you last, without being able to buy things for your RV/TT? Is there some chemical you have to use to keep the toilets working, for example? (antifreeze if your up north, I guess).
innjtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by innjtown View Post
I fully expect the US dollar to continue becoming valueless, unless someone in the US government begins addressing the National debt. Other countries are already beginning to devalue the USD against their own currencies. If they stop buying our debt, we (Americans) are screwed. If we stop buying their stuff, they will have to stop buying our debt. I don't see any way out of it. My plan is get a tubular tin trailer to hide in.

How long could you last, without being able to buy things for your RV/TT? Is there some chemical you have to use to keep the toilets working, for example? (antifreeze if your up north, I guess).
Fasten your seat belts folks, it is going to get A LOT WORSE before it gets better.

I suspect that the crash of 29 is going to look like mere childs play given the current state of the US economy. We are seeing continued bank closures, continued billion dollar losses posted by savings and loans and banks to say nothing of the mortgagee industry losses.

Right you are about the US Dollar. In 2001 it took $0.85 cents to get one Euro. Last I checked it was $1.55 to get one Euro. Nobody in foreign countries wants dollars; they want the Euro because it is more stable. For what it is worth we returned to the US in May 2007 after being out of the country since 1998. We could no longer aford to live outside the US because the dollar is so worthless.

As for the national debt, last time I checked China holds the vast majority of the debt that has been floated since 2001. When they decide to collect it they will own the USA.

So, you might say that I am in agreement with your view. The sad thing is that I see no outrage here in the US about what the government has been doing.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
That is pretty intresting I was wondering the same thing.... I talked to a Dealer in Toledo he said his sales are booming I wasnt buying that, I also talked to a trailer dealer in Akron he said his were dying but over all the industry was up. A freind moves trailers to dealers with his truck (contractor) he is busy also. Why?? Katrina still along with other disasters. People are getting temp housing. Now I understood it. What I dont understand is why isnt New Orleans fixed already?? This is America. All this aid we send to other countries for genocide typhoons tital waves earth quakes. What about our own!!!!. When the old people in the neighborhood need help around the yard My boys and I are right in there. We have made alot of freinds and my boys learned what a good cook those older ladies are. What are we doing as a country.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Buying things for our Airstreams may no longer be the issue if our economy sinks and our dollars (and jobs, savings, retirement, put in your own concern here...) evaporate. I'm worried as, I suspect, most of us are. So, what are we doing about it? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always live below your means. Support your local business's and stop shopping at all big box stores and eating at chain restaurants, contrary to some beliefs they take both jobs and money out of your community and promote cradle to grave minimum wage jobs as well as destroy the landscape with cartoon architecture.Eliminate all consumer debt and bank at your local Credit Union. That's just a few.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Craftsman, Good advice! Years ago, a woman appeared at my door (from one of the "do-good" religious groups) and offered to sell a booklet for a dime that would tell me how to solve all my financial problems. I told her I had no financial problems. She was shocked and asked why. I told her I didn't buy things I didn't need. I don't think she understood the logic or sarcasm, but she left anyway. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Darol is right on the money when it comes to achieving some measure of wealth and financial stability. If you want to have money then stop giving it away (i.e., stop spending it). If you must or want to buy something then save for it so you can pay cash. In my experience, automobiles are the number one reason people can't seem to get ahead of the curve financially because everyone thinks they need a new car every three years and no one pays cash when they do buy one. I read some statistics in an editorial on CNN a few weeks ago that indicated for every three cars you mortgage you could have paid cash for one just with the interest and depreciation lost in those transactions.

As for the RV/TT lifestyle as a safe haven against an economic collapse: if your RV or TT is paid for, your tow vehicle is paid for and you have a means of acquiring fuel (gas & propane) then at least you will have a "home" that you can move to greener pastures, if they exist somewhere. At the very least you will have shelter, heat, running water and pot to pee in.

-Kevin
COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
The economy is a mess because of the artificially low interest rate. When I started buying income property in the early 80's, a good rate was 18%. We now have 6% teaser loans with variable interest rates and all that razzle dazzle convincing people they can afford more. The dollar has dropped 50% in the last eight years--no wonder prices have doubled!
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I agree with craftsman. Get Ur Done.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The gloom/doom prophets always predict the worst. Remember this is an election year. Things have to be bad. By pointing out all our miseries, and then promising to miraculously improve them, politicians get elected. It all goes away in November.
Do you have two or more cars, a refrigerator that works, television, food on the table??
No one ever went to Saint Peter and said "gee I wish I would have had more material items." Or, " my life would have been richer if only the price of diesel were not so high." Focus on what really matters in life, and, worry only about those things you can actually change. Tomorrow you might be told that you are terminal. How much would the affairs of the Chinese matter then?

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
The scary thing is how fast this happened. We started 2000 with a SURPLUS and a balanced budget.

As far as election time goes, I think it's safe to say that gas will go down after labor day and the terror alerts will restart.
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
Gloom & doom

I don't believe that its the gloom and doom prophets this time...we are in a real mess and my worry is for my grandchildren more than anything else.
The world we are leaving them and their prospects for their future economic stability are bordering on pitiful. Just look at the current situation in California where the gov. is cutting many state jobs back to the 6.55 min wage...try making it on $262.00 per week with rent, groceries, kids and $4.00 petro! My solution the the current gas crisis is to allow every city to sell booze. That would eliminate the constant traffic flow to the wet counties every Friday and Saturday night.
Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
" my life would have been richer if only the price of diesel were not so high."
Mine would be. I would have driven back up to Ohio and visited friends more often. While waiting for the price to come down, to plan a trip, it has done nothing but go up. Now it is 80 cents a gallon higher than regular. Went to Texas last July and diesel was 20-30 cents a gallon lower than gas.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The problems in Calif are home grown, and, have been brewing for decades. Taxes, ridiculous regulation, too much entitlement, and an illegal population that is crippling services. Companies that can are fleeing the state.
Gas is not at crisis state yet. It was after the hurricanes when you could not find it at all for days. We have indeed been excessively wasteful in the past. Things are now coming into balance with energy, and, will improve. It took rising prices to get people off their duffs and to demand action. To finally take responsibility for their own consumption.
Often there is pain with change. We are not headed down the tubes. Rather, we are on the verge of great times. It's just that many are incapable of seeing light in darkness.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
I absolutely agree. I own a collection agency and while I handle mostly Health Care debt, I'm seeing increased placements for collection and decreased recoveries. My friends in the industry who collect credit card and other consumer debt are seeing this trend more dramatically.
It's simply decades of buying things we don't really need with money we don't really have. (both our country and consumers alike) In recent years we were financing those purchases with our homes. Now it's time to pay the piper and gas, food and almost every other necessary living expense is rising. Since financing those things with our homes is no longer an option for most, many are turning to whatever savings they have left or worse, credit cards. I believe the unsecured credit card debt will be the next of many shoes yet to drop.
Like others who have posted, it's the old "golden rule". He who has the gold rules. Eliminate debt, but only what you need only when you can afford it. For the first time in our history our country has a negative savings rate. If you have money in the bank, you at least have options. Only problem is if it gets really bad like some are speculating, that money may not be worth what you think.
I could go on...
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Naperville , Illinois
Question for all who responded to this post! How many of you voted the same person back into office last election? Do you live in a 1 party state like I do (Illinois)? We have 2 of the lamest Senators in the bunch. We have had 3 govenors put in jail and our present one is just about on his way. How many times have you heard " I just voted for the lessor of 2 evils" ? It's time to take back our government and get some fresh faces in there and get this country turned around. It's still the greatest country on earth.
nodpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always live below your means. Support your local business's and stop shopping at all big box stores and eating at chain restaurants, contrary to some beliefs they take both jobs and money out of your community and promote cradle to grave minimum wage jobs as well as destroy the landscape with cartoon architecture.Eliminate all consumer debt and bank at your local Credit Union. That's just a few.
Power and Respect!

Every time a bell rings - an Angel gets his wings!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbackk View Post
The scary thing is how fast this happened. We started 2000 with a SURPLUS and a balanced budget.
As far as election time goes, I think it's safe to say that gas will go down after labor day and the terror alerts will restart.
Amen! Let the manipulations begin so those that bought & paid for the current crop of politicos can get reimbursed. Chow time at the OK capitol, er, I mean, corral...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
cheaper diesel

RE:
Went to Texas last July and diesel was 20-30 cents a gallon lower than gas.[/quote]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Where in Texas? I haven't been able to find it cheaper than gas since I bought a diesel Of course here in the panhandle gas and diesel are usually more expensive than anywhere else in the state anyway.
cheers, bill b.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Voting for evil

[quote=nodpete;600725]Question for all who responded to this post! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have been voting for the lesser of two evils for so long they all are beginning to look alike to me. I guess, since evil is still evil (even if less so), then the options are limited. The other option is pitchforks and torches and I guess this forum may not be the best for that one. Aluminum kinda puddles when overheated and more holes equals more rivets.
cheers, bill b.