Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Where's that?
Just do a search on Slab City, Ca.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Holy politics bat man

GOVERNMENT:Why does any one think IT knows what IT is doing.Look at New Orleans and Houston.
I am from the GOVERNMENT and I am here to help, BS.
WE ALL have to get rid of the mind set that the GOVERNMENT will take care of us with hand outs and bail outs that are OUR tax $$$ that we think are hard at work.
YOU want a helping hand to pull your self up by your boot straps try the one on the end of YOUR arm.
Owen your home,Airstream trailer and SUV or TV, pay with cash. Have cash,gold and GUNS,so when the GOVERNMENT CAN NO LONGER bail you out you will be ready.
Most of us are not as SMART as Wall Street and can not get a GOVERNMENT hand out any way.So STOP thinking hand outs and bail out.
Get off the porch and run with the big dogs or be sheep and wait for the GOVERNMENT to feed you.Its your choice.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
So...who's read Atlas Shrugged? Found that valley yet?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #64
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Just about everyone that we know is struggling financially in one way or another. Economically here in the U.S things are bad and I believe they are going to get a whole lot worse. While working to make our Tradewind liveable, sometimes the thought has crossed my mind to sell it. However, at the rate things are going it might be our home one day in the future!Which to me would not be so bad!

John
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
So...who's read Atlas Shrugged? Found that valley yet?
James Hilton found it in "Shangri La".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
....Maybe our economy is... uh, constipated? Needs to be, uh... 'squozed' tightly?

OK, I'll tell you some "squeeze stories".

Mom made a rule that we children could only use 2 sheets of toilet paper per visit to the bathroom. I put that one to bed with a rather graphic discussion (at the dinner table no less) about diarrhea.
There was a black ring around our bathtub... in crayon... which was the maximum the water table could reach with us IN the tub. It of course limited the adults more than us children. When company came to visit this had to be scrubbed out so that "the neighbors wouldn't talk."

The zig-zag on the sewing machine was used to make washcloths from worn out towels. Don't try using a new towel - wash cloths really need to be thin to rinse out effectively.

Paper towels used to drain vegetables can be hung up and allowed to dry then used for dirtier jobs like cleaning spills on the floor. One-use aluminum pans? WHAT? We used them for years.

Like turkey pot pie? Our Thanksgiving turkey was stripped to BARE bones. Turkey on Thanksgiving, turkey sandwiches the next day. Turkey pot pies and turkey noodle soup over the next week.

No sliver of soap was to small to use simply because we had a jar of "soap slime" where old bars were dumped along with a bit of water. This jar had to be empty before a new bar could be used.

BTW, this works - unwrap your soap and store it in a basket in your linen closet - the linens will smell nice and he soap will harden so that it lasts longer.

Coupons? The actual figure is that between 2% and 3% of us regularly use them. Truth is that only highly organized people CAN use them to the max, but all of us can easily save $10 per week using them just now and then. Big savers? Dish & Laundry detergents & Canned foods - because you don't have to use them immediately.

The post about cutting down sheets for pillowcases? Been there, done that. We slept in an unheated and un-airconditioned attic. Fans in summer. In winter I slept under my dad's WWII trench coat until one of the neighbors moved and gave us a bunch of old wool quilts.

I once made myself a rather nice dress by using an old full skirt my mother was done with. I started sewing before my 4th birthday - mom caught me using her machine and decided to teach me how to do it right before I ran my hand under the needle. I was making a lot of my own clothing before Jr high. No shirt, blouse, skirt or pair of jeans was ever thrown out without harvesting it's buttons, zippers, hooks, etc. Jeans were normally cut down to shorts if the knees went, but the bottoms of the legs were kept to patch the knees of the next pair, prior to it's being cut down. (When the ass went the pants went though.)

In high school I made a fall jacket out of patchwork denim scraps. Used a Vogue pattern and it looked great. Got some serious envy from a cheerleader

Getting a package of underwear for Christmas was an indication that mother wanted me to become an actress. I should have gotten an Oscar for pretending to be pleased.

Paula
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
jimmini has posted the best advice yet!

This problem/news/panic didn't start with this election cycle. How far back do you want to go? Nothing unexpected here!

Things started simply enough with Article 1, Sections 7,8,9,10.

Fast forward to the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight's “Report of the Special Examination of Fannie Mae.”

In between, you can add a dash of:
The Federal Reserve Act,
The 16th Amendment,
seizing the private gold holdings of American citizens in '33,
Social Security Act,
Freddie & Fannie,
The Victory tax,
the removal of silver coinage in '65,
the unified budget...

and on and on...

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Squeeze stories

FOILED AGAIN SQUEEZE STORIES.

You had toilet paper how lucky you where.
Do you remember Sears catalogs now that is toilet paper.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always live below your means. Support your local business's and stop shopping at all big box stores and eating at chain restaurants, contrary to some beliefs they take both jobs and money out of your community and promote cradle to grave minimum wage jobs as well as destroy the landscape with cartoon architecture.Eliminate all consumer debt and bank at your local Credit Union. That's just a few.
I agree 100% with you! I cannot tell you how many small businesses that I grew up with have been forced out by chains and big box stores! I try to buy local and buy "Made in USA" as much as possible....maybe, once we become a third world country, the jobs will return to the USA!

Fortunately, we are debt free.....but, like most retired folks, some of our income is still tied to the economy. During this upheaval, I just want to drive to some remote area and not come back until it's all over!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
"VOTE EM ALL OUT" and then "Term Limits"! My 2 cents worth.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
I encourage you all to see the documentary movie I.O.U.S.A. It's in theaters now and is a very scary and thought provoking film designed to bring awareness of what got us into this mess, and actions needed to address it. Our current debt if over 9 trillion and future obligations (medicare part a, b & d and social security etc) is 53 billion and that's without all of our governments foolishness of the past few months. Future generations will surely suffer if our country as we know it still even exists.
Former Commerce Secretary Pete Peterson, who went into the private sector and made a huge fortune has donated a billion dollars of his own money into a foundation to promote the movie and create awareness.
Go see it and tell everyone you know to see it as well.
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
BLEVI, Thanks for the "Heads Up" regarding the film. We'll see if we can locate it in our small town.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'll tell you excatlly what the problem is......
EVERYONE WANTS THE BIG HOUSE AND ALL THE FANCY CARS AND STUFF TO GO WITH IT>

People want stuff for free!!!!! or feel they deseve everything...

Wake up, not everyone is going to make $20 plus an hour.......... and you can't have everything...

Example: Health Care.... What makes you thing you should get this for free....???

You want to see examples of free health care.....???????
About 10 years ago Canada ran out of money to pay the doctors, so a lot of them walk out for 2 months...

My brother lives in England... Needed an operation, on national health they said it would be over a month wait... He had private health care and they did it that week....

In Sweden while my wife was there, there are no doctors on duty during the weekend. and even if paitents are waiting they take breaks and lunches, will just walk out...

Also my wife's uncle lives there. Needed knee surgery... they told him he was to young, and now he still needs it and they tell him he is to old..

The more stuff is free the more it actually cost us.

And those idiots on wall street should just be shot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the Market, you want to know why??? Because I can't believe something so illogically, and unethical really works... Stocks can go up and down for the most Illogical reasons... it's insane... I don't put to much money in it..
My father in law plays the market.. Lost $70,000 in two days... And then he says he can't believe it did that, it makes not sense... I had said "of course it doesn't its the stock market.. you might as well put all your money on the black jack table in one hand"

My brother comes over from England about 2 times a year.. He say's he could live like a king on $35,000 and it's true... We waste money left and right.... go out for dinner and by toys like they were candy... We have 5 cars for 2 driving people.... 3 are over 18 years old but still.. We have an AS 3 flat bed trails, tractor, lots of tools and other toys we don't really need....

We could all live like kings but we want what everyone else has, or see on tv...

I still have belongings in boxes from two moves ago.. I'm no better than the rest... Have lots of stuff we don't need......

IT SEEMS TO BE THE AMERICAN WAY Who can own the most stuff and be the most in debt.....

Lucky for my wife and I we only have house and student loans to pay off.... 1/2 a mil of it though..........

Sometimes I think we are crazy..... I could get a loan to do just about anything (with all that other debt) It's NUTS>>>>>>>>

Thats why the american economy is in trouble....WE WANT IT ALL>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I have several friends in law enforcement they all tell me that their agencies are undergoing intensive urban riot control training right now.

Preparing for food riots, maybe?

No, not food riots.

There is a segment of society that thinks that everything should be given to them and, more importantly, that they are simply entitled by law to things. You know:"I have a right to free medical care", etc. No, actually, you have a right to go get a job and pay your way like most of us. This sense of entitlement is what is driving the problem. This is fed by one political party (there were two candidates and now one) which promised many billions of dollars of free stuff including savings bonds, college for free, housing, and other stuff for which work or saving would not be required. Remember the New Deal and the Great Society? Same stuff only more of it. You need to keep in mind who pays for it.

A smaller segment of the above mentioned group feels that it is perfectly fine to burn, shoot, riot, etc., if they don't get their way. Remember when OJ was acquitted? Nothing happened! Remember when the LAPD officers were acquitted in the Rodney King deal? Lots happened! Remember when Sen. Robert Kennedy was killed? Nothing happened! Remember when the Rev. Martin Luther King was killed? Lots happened!

Some people with this sense of entitlement feel that with the election of the right candidate, all of their problems will be solved! If the "wrong" candidate is elected then these same people will feel disenfranchised and victims (again?) of an uncaring society. What to do? Well, rioting is always the choice of some.

No, they are not training for food riots.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
While I dislike political threads on this "enthusiasts" site...I will add my comments since others seem to do so...

One thing I believe does not get enough attention and debate is the growing national debt...that we are leaving for our children and grandchildren to repay...or more likely just to try to pay the interest thereon.

It will be an interesting "legacy" to measure the increase in the national debt during the recent Presidential terms. Which party has tried to create "prosperity" by spending future generation's income?

I consider myself a fiscal conservative...and find myself supporting moderate Democrats vs. the currently popular radically conservative Republicans. At least the Democrats seem to want to "pay as you go" for their spending...while the Republicans spend as much or more...and just charge it to future generation.

Will there be a return of the Republican party to the more moderate fiscal conservative...smaller government...stay out of my life moderate.......or are we stuck with the "spend and charge"...increase government...and intrude in my life whenever felt "appropriate"...extreme right wing of the party???

I believe most (all?) states must live within a balanced budget?...maybe the national government should have some type of balanced budget law...maybe on a four year cycle to allow for flexibility?

Solution????...a true third party with a "centrist" approach...neither the right or the left has the best answer...it lies somewher in between. Bloomberg might have been an interesting candidate?

Back to lurking...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Let me correct myself, In my original post, I said future obligations are 53 billion, the correct figure is 53 TRILLION!

We're in Moab Utah now and heading out for a hike. This would be a great place to "get invisible" when this whole mess comes crashing down.
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The Government will just declare bankruptcy like all the other irresponsible people racking up debt, with no thought as to how they will pay it off.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Great posting

Post 73 and 74 are a must read they are so right.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Post 73 and 74 are a must read they are so right.
I agree...they are soooooo "Right"...

Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in answer to the original post.........

things will not be as much fun while traveling. i suppose more will need to pack 'protection' from roadside bandits. also, caravan (wagon trains) will be more popular.

nothing will get better until honesty improves in the world. without honesty, nothing works. it's funny, i was thinking of "honor among thieves", i guess even thieves had honor at one time.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote