Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Boys and girls it's not over until it's over. Anyway you look at it there will be pain. But the dollar will go up against the Euro because they will have an even worse time and more trouble agreeing what to do, diesel and gas will come down, the deals on all kind of stuff will be stunning, and your friends will lose their jobs, your house will be worth 2000 prices. Get a mattress and a good lock.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Wink Ok

I'm on my way to the balloon fiesta and have travelled from Florida to New Mexico. My cheapest gas was $3.17.

I'm just saying that it might be nice to have a return to basic life. Values of work - physical work - It just might solve some of our social problems. want a divorce? sorry, someone gotta collect the eggs.

Okey - okey, and cook them

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #115
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
Boys and girls it's not over until it's over. Anyway you look at it there will be pain. But the dollar will go up against the Euro because they will have an even worse time and more trouble agreeing what to do, diesel and gas will come down, the deals on all kind of stuff will be stunning, and your friends will lose their jobs, your house will be worth 2000 prices. Get a mattress and a good lock.
Though I don't disagree, part of the undercurrent to my comments are that our elected officials (both sides of the aisle) aren't even sure if this will fully work, if at all. A pretty big gamble IMHO, but I got me a mattress and a good lock....got my house in 1997, so maybe I may be able to eek out 3 years of appreciation (maybe not if you take into account this bailout is equal to about $6800 for every household, even the ones that didn't have any part in this mess) , if there is anyone out there who could get a loan for it....but I'm keeping the mattress and the lock though.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Economy, Congress website down

Agree with much of what is said here. As usual, much wisdom in this community.

If I may take the liberty of inserting an email I received today, we have a partial explanation of why the congress' website is not functioning. Although many folks didn't need this to get their juices flowing, this is food for thought. This is a Dave Ramsey publication:

++++++
We are at a crucial time in our country's financial history. Congress defeated the $700 billion bailout plan on Monday. However, they are revising it and trying to push it through again. I'm supporting an alternative plan that will keep our nation from going even deeper in debt, and I've been on TV and radio all week telling people about it.
We need everyone's help!

Follow the instructions below. Together we can change history.

Pray for them to resist a spirit of FEAR and to embrace WISDOM. Even if you don't like them or agree with them, pray for them and tell them you are praying for them. There is a spirit over this problem that must be broken. Also, most of the media personalities are afraid as well and that is affecting their reporting. Pray for fear to be removed from them; they are making this worse.</SPAN></SPAN>

Send The Common Sense Fix to your Representatives and Senators and tell them how you expect them to vote, and that if they put this nation in $700 billion of debt, that you will vote them out. It's their job to listen to us! (Whichever presidential candidate or political party that champions this plan from their leadership down will likely become the next president. That is because this plan fixes the crisis while going along with the wishes of the vast majority of Americans.)
  1. First, read this page (PDF)
  2. Next, copy the info on this page (text file)
  3. Send it to your Senators and representatives by copying and pasting the text in the web form you're sent to.
*Note: If their websites are down, that means we're making a difference! Keep refreshing the page until you get through. You can also go through Congress.org, though we don't endorse this site.

Forward this email to everyone in your address book and tell them to urgently follow these 3 steps TODAY. The more people we have supporting this and contacting their elected leaders, the more likely we can turn our economy around!

++++++++++++

I got through to our Senators, but have not succeeded in sending to the Reps.

Dwight
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #117
vox
1 Rivet Member

My towing days are over. My Overlander is parked permanently at our cottage which is on a small Gulf Island. Between the fuel for my van with a big V8 and the enormous rise in ferry fares we just dont travel the way we used to. I restored an Itaska Phasar last year( aluminum body aft of the drivers area and an efficient turbo diesel that give 35mpg to a cdn gal) It's just 20 ft and the airconditioner was removed for a low profile Maxxair in pairs so we are not over height. Now we get on the ferry for the price of a car and save 120.00 a trip, not to mention fuel.

So now my restoration project will change somewhat as I will not have any considerations re hauling, weight and balance or water and waste tanks.

This may horrify some members but it is what works for me. I'll just have to live on memories of when propane was 6.9 cents a litre and I never thought twice about driving about in that big V8
Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
traditionally election years are busy.lots of money flying around,but the bucks have almost stopped completely.i'm in concrete construction and this week i put in a total of 8 hours.just about enough to pay insurance and gas.between now and the end of january finding time to camp in the airstream may not be a problem.i'm going to go with the flow and think realisticly.now is the time for my hobbies,my pasttimes.being the dinasour i am ,what i see today is reminicent of the '70's.good jobs were scarce money was tight,crime and substance abuse were high.come to think of it,i was high too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	68720  
Old 10-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have been watching people borrow and spend past their means for years. Even with the economy the way it is I have friends talking about the deals out there to be had and spending money they don't have. I still do not think the baby boomer generation gets it. It was a matter of time before it would all come crashing down. People are addicted to spending much like a drug addict is hooked on drugs. They are not happy unless they are buying something.

Times will get hard and changes will be made in all the different areas of life. The jobs exported to other countries may comeback because when our economy goes bust so does theirs. The positive I heard out of the negative was the only car sales that were doing half way decent were the hybrid cars. Maybe it will take a crash for us as a nation to start to conserve our resources, develop renewable energy technologies, and restructure our daily lives so we are spending more time with our families and staying close to home. Vacations they will be camping with the family giving each kid a camp chore and making it fun for everybody.

This may have been already posted because this thread is very long but many you heard of Hooverville during the depression. Well what about Airstreamville. If the worst happens we can all pull our airstreams to a central location and make a community.

I like the thread above about growing vegetables and raising chickens. I live in a metro suburban neighborhood and guess what? We have a neighbor raising chickens and rabbits, another one a street over built a sheep pen in the back and is breeding sheep. This is a middle class neighborhood. "Man who lives the longest lives closest to the ground"

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #120
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I like the thread above about growing vegetables and raising chickens. I live in a metro suburban neighborhood and guess what? We have a neighbor raising chickens and rabbits, another one a street over built a sheep pen in the back and is breeding sheep. This is a middle class neighborhood. "Man who lives the longest lives closest to the ground"

Lothlorian

Brian
Kids, don't you all try that at home though, or daddy will wind up with some serious Trouble with the City! Well at least around here you will...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #121
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Kids, don't you all try that at home though, or daddy will wind up with some serious Trouble with the City! Well at least around here you will...
YEP....before we had the A/S parked on the front pad we got busted for having our Garden visible from the street.(community association), I guess the big silver tube is ok though, no-one has complained since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-30-07  TRLR. GARDEN 004.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	68741  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #122
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
YEP....before we had the A/S parked on the front pad we got busted for having our Garden visible from the street.(community association), I guess the big silver tube is ok though, no-one has complained since.
LOL Robert. They are probably afraid to see what you will hide the Airstream with.

OK, hijack over, back to the subject

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
having our Garden visible from the street.(community association), I
You're joking. That is not allowed? How thick is the rule book you have there?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #124
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
You're joking. That is not allowed? How thick is the rule book you have there?
Not much of a rule book, just a few funky residents.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Well, now that our leaders in DC have passed this bill what comes next? They had to get this done in a hell of a hurry before the country had the meltdown. Do you think they have a plan on what will be the next step? I haven't heard but have a good guess ready if anyone should ask. There has been mention of irregularities in the "big four" agencies first to go down. Guess DC didn't get that memo.

I almost had a meltdown when I heard there was "pork barrel" in this bail out bill. HOW DARE THEY! I am not a political person -I simply don't get it in any way, shape or form ...... but I do know RIGHT FROM WRONG. How can they sleep at night? How can they face the people of their state? How can those people stay silent? WHY do they stay silent?

There's plenty of blame to go around but personally, I/we want to be left out of this whole mess. We had no part in causing it and I/we feel absolutely no obligation in helping to fix it.

When there is a flood, mud, fire, drought - whatever, and a disaster is declared by a states' governor, the victums can then apply for LOW COST GOV'T LOANS. Why does this country throw money away on pork barrel, graft, hoidy toidy high priced "fact finding" junkets, throw money at other countries and their wars and a million other things when America and it's taxpayers have so very many needs of their own? Soc. Sec. is supposed defunct is a few short years and I haven't heard the words bail out on that one. And how about free health care, schooling and what ever else for illegal border crossers and their American born children receive compliments of the USA when many Americans have no health care. No American parents, no citizenship. No citizenship, no taxes paid = no benefits. Not when there are so many people of this country hurting.
I don't know much.......but I know right from wrong.

It's time for something new on the ballot: The Party of Common Sense

So sorry for the rant & rave but I'm mad as hell and I don't want to take it anymore.

And yes, the price of gasoline has/will effect our Airstream activities but we still hold out hope of going South to escape the cold of winter.

anonymous
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
In 1995, President Clinton signed into law a requirement that all banks were "required" to provide sub-prime loans or face consequences leading up to $10,000 fines per offense for failing to do so. In response, banks created numerous programs to provide these loans including loans with "zero down" and "no income verification."

These loans were bundled and sold to Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac, who bundled these loans and sold them to financial investor groups - who placed them into retirement and investment accounts.

As early as April 2001, the newly elected President Bush warned of these issues that would impact the viability of Freddie and Fannie. Since then, numerous attempts were made by Republican to change the system. Each time, the efforts died in the Senate Banking Committee, led by Democrat Chris Dodd (D-CT) and the House Financial Services Chairperson Barney Frank (D-MA).

Now these two champions of the house giveaway are leading the "cure" to the economy - which has a current price tag of $7 billion. When the proposed "rescue bill" died in Congress, the political blame game begins.

Any rescue bill cannot be successful without eliminating the law that created the situation in the first place. Of all the concessions, there has been no concession to remove the law forcing banks to provide these sub-prime loans.

The American public needs to wise up. Can it get better? Current presidential candidate Barack Obama claims he is the solution. Ex-chairpersons of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are his presidential financial advisors. I guess if you have the causes to the problem on your "team," it may be easy to find ways to identify the cure.

The only presidential candidate that has ever voiced any concern with these poor financial acts was John McCain, back in 2004. Again, McCain is not the prime choice of many conservatives - but a lot safer choice for the country in these declining economic times.

As for the bail out, people who work hard, played by the rules and didn't purchase beyond their means when buying a home should be just fine. The country needs to go "back to the future" - 20 percent down, steady job and good credit to purchase a home. A reasonable request in my opinion. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

A guy I know wrote this to a paper...D. Lee Phelan Sr.

Personally The President can only do so much, it comes down to the Senate and Congress..

When Has any Presidential candidate ever fulfilled his campaign promises.. I say "Yeah What Ever".....

There all a bunch of I'll tell you what you want to hear to get elected liars ... You just have to pick the better of the two evils... Politics >>>>>>SUCKS>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote