Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
I encourage you all to see the documentary movie I.O.U.S.A. It's in theaters now and is a very scary and thought provoking film designed to bring awareness of what got us into this mess, and actions needed to address it. Our current debt if over 9 trillion and future obligations (medicare part a, b & d and social security etc) is 53 billion and that's without all of our governments foolishness of the past few months. Future generations will surely suffer if our country as we know it still even exists.
Former Commerce Secretary Pete Peterson, who went into the private sector and made a huge fortune has donated a billion dollars of his own money into a foundation to promote the movie and create awareness.
Go see it and tell everyone you know to see it as well.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
BLEVI, Thanks for the "Heads Up" regarding the film. We'll see if we can locate it in our small town.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'll tell you excatlly what the problem is......
EVERYONE WANTS THE BIG HOUSE AND ALL THE FANCY CARS AND STUFF TO GO WITH IT>

People want stuff for free!!!!! or feel they deseve everything...

Wake up, not everyone is going to make $20 plus an hour.......... and you can't have everything...

Example: Health Care.... What makes you thing you should get this for free....???

You want to see examples of free health care.....???????
About 10 years ago Canada ran out of money to pay the doctors, so a lot of them walk out for 2 months...

My brother lives in England... Needed an operation, on national health they said it would be over a month wait... He had private health care and they did it that week....

In Sweden while my wife was there, there are no doctors on duty during the weekend. and even if paitents are waiting they take breaks and lunches, will just walk out...

Also my wife's uncle lives there. Needed knee surgery... they told him he was to young, and now he still needs it and they tell him he is to old..

The more stuff is free the more it actually cost us.

And those idiots on wall street should just be shot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the Market, you want to know why??? Because I can't believe something so illogically, and unethical really works... Stocks can go up and down for the most Illogical reasons... it's insane... I don't put to much money in it..
My father in law plays the market.. Lost $70,000 in two days... And then he says he can't believe it did that, it makes not sense... I had said "of course it doesn't its the stock market.. you might as well put all your money on the black jack table in one hand"

My brother comes over from England about 2 times a year.. He say's he could live like a king on $35,000 and it's true... We waste money left and right.... go out for dinner and by toys like they were candy... We have 5 cars for 2 driving people.... 3 are over 18 years old but still.. We have an AS 3 flat bed trails, tractor, lots of tools and other toys we don't really need....

We could all live like kings but we want what everyone else has, or see on tv...

I still have belongings in boxes from two moves ago.. I'm no better than the rest... Have lots of stuff we don't need......

IT SEEMS TO BE THE AMERICAN WAY Who can own the most stuff and be the most in debt.....

Lucky for my wife and I we only have house and student loans to pay off.... 1/2 a mil of it though..........

Sometimes I think we are crazy..... I could get a loan to do just about anything (with all that other debt) It's NUTS>>>>>>>>

Thats why the american economy is in trouble....WE WANT IT ALL>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I have several friends in law enforcement they all tell me that their agencies are undergoing intensive urban riot control training right now.

Preparing for food riots, maybe?

No, not food riots.

There is a segment of society that thinks that everything should be given to them and, more importantly, that they are simply entitled by law to things. You know:"I have a right to free medical care", etc. No, actually, you have a right to go get a job and pay your way like most of us. This sense of entitlement is what is driving the problem. This is fed by one political party (there were two candidates and now one) which promised many billions of dollars of free stuff including savings bonds, college for free, housing, and other stuff for which work or saving would not be required. Remember the New Deal and the Great Society? Same stuff only more of it. You need to keep in mind who pays for it.

A smaller segment of the above mentioned group feels that it is perfectly fine to burn, shoot, riot, etc., if they don't get their way. Remember when OJ was acquitted? Nothing happened! Remember when the LAPD officers were acquitted in the Rodney King deal? Lots happened! Remember when Sen. Robert Kennedy was killed? Nothing happened! Remember when the Rev. Martin Luther King was killed? Lots happened!

Some people with this sense of entitlement feel that with the election of the right candidate, all of their problems will be solved! If the "wrong" candidate is elected then these same people will feel disenfranchised and victims (again?) of an uncaring society. What to do? Well, rioting is always the choice of some.

No, they are not training for food riots.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
While I dislike political threads on this "enthusiasts" site...I will add my comments since others seem to do so...

One thing I believe does not get enough attention and debate is the growing national debt...that we are leaving for our children and grandchildren to repay...or more likely just to try to pay the interest thereon.

It will be an interesting "legacy" to measure the increase in the national debt during the recent Presidential terms. Which party has tried to create "prosperity" by spending future generation's income?

I consider myself a fiscal conservative...and find myself supporting moderate Democrats vs. the currently popular radically conservative Republicans. At least the Democrats seem to want to "pay as you go" for their spending...while the Republicans spend as much or more...and just charge it to future generation.

Will there be a return of the Republican party to the more moderate fiscal conservative...smaller government...stay out of my life moderate.......or are we stuck with the "spend and charge"...increase government...and intrude in my life whenever felt "appropriate"...extreme right wing of the party???

I believe most (all?) states must live within a balanced budget?...maybe the national government should have some type of balanced budget law...maybe on a four year cycle to allow for flexibility?

Solution????...a true third party with a "centrist" approach...neither the right or the left has the best answer...it lies somewher in between. Bloomberg might have been an interesting candidate?

Back to lurking...Tom R
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
Let me correct myself, In my original post, I said future obligations are 53 billion, the correct figure is 53 TRILLION!

We're in Moab Utah now and heading out for a hike. This would be a great place to "get invisible" when this whole mess comes crashing down.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The Government will just declare bankruptcy like all the other irresponsible people racking up debt, with no thought as to how they will pay it off.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Great posting

Post 73 and 74 are a must read they are so right.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Post 73 and 74 are a must read they are so right.
I agree...they are soooooo "Right"...

Tom R
Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in answer to the original post.........

things will not be as much fun while traveling. i suppose more will need to pack 'protection' from roadside bandits. also, caravan (wagon trains) will be more popular.

nothing will get better until honesty improves in the world. without honesty, nothing works. it's funny, i was thinking of "honor among thieves", i guess even thieves had honor at one time.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
LA Times article

Cover story in the LA Times Aug 18, 2008 Travel Section entitled "HI-YO SILVER" was all about airstreamin'. Nice article, and the writer was lent a 26 ftr and TV to go to Yosemite.

Last Paragraph quote:

"Airstreams, icons of the 20th century's open road, may find themselves marooned in driveways and parking lots in the 21st. By the time our daughters are grown, an Airstream may be as rare a sight on the road as a '57 Chevy or Indian motorcyle is today."

The gist of the article is the economics of owning one, in particular the cost of a TV.

Yikes. Hang on to your A/S ....and never let go.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
When the govt. wants more money, they simply print it, be it cash, bonds, treasury notes, or whatever. This "money" is borrowed from the "federal reserve", which is neither "federal", nor does it have any reserves. The collateral for this borrowed "money", are the collective assets of the American people. How much is the Grand Canyon worth?, or Yellowstone?,
or the huge chunk of America that is federal land? Strictly speaking, their is no need to tax anyone, the amount of tax money the govt. collects from the people, isn't enough to pay even the intrest on the national debt. The whole thing is a giant shell game, with no hard wealth (gold) to back it up.
Cheers...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
.....how encouraging and uplifting. Well, I think I'll just curl up in my trailer for a few decades and sit this out....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Prayer???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote