Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum

Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #43
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Living within your means and space is a good thing, being a miser is an entirely different thing. My mother could squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh** in her hand.
Happy trails. Paula
Re-read your post, Paula and it got me to thinking...

Right off the bat, the "economic collapse discussion" really takes me back to the 60's, co-op living, growing our own veggies, 'earth-mamas' makin' bread and living off the land. We had a hell of a good time and learned alot. We were convinced as now, that society was simply going to collpse and we would be the survivors... jeeze, later during the 70's oil crisis, we found ourselves giddy with excitement as we predicted that maybe now, our believe in total economic collapse was at hand..., peace, love, dope, hare krishna...

But I digress.. your story about your mom reminded me of my parents. Seems that as we've moved into the 2000's (double aughts? double O's? zero generation?...), marketing has taken over and the feeding frenzy of consumerism is blazing at full steam. Don't have money for more? Not to worry, buy now, pay later with our teaser, introductory interest rates... I mean, the 80's & 90's were a turbo-powered buying spree, too... but here within the last decade, wow!

I'm a firm believer in capitalism. It works. But it seems to me that our expectations via 'marketing and share holder value', have far exceeded the ability to keep up.

Maybe the true beauty of capitalism exists in your mother's model of squeezing that buffalo...? Maybe our economy is... uh, constipated? Needs to be, uh... 'squozed' tightly?

Granted, the McMansion might not be as large, might not be quite the testament to our individual greatness (as viewed from the mirror), but it would be more sustainable... and more folks could participate.

And we wouldn't need that "company store" no more, no more...

Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #44

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Reflect on this....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...tml#post589277

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #45
Aluminum Condo III
2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Toronto Star article

Here is an interesting article in today's Toronto Star regarding RV sales in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

TheStar.com | Business | RV sales unaffected by gas prices
Malcolm & Randy
WBCCI # 12523
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
Interesting article in the Omaha Business section yesterday Omaha.com Money Section
(hope the link works) about the upcoming documentary I.O.U.S.A.
After the movie debuts on August 21, there will be a panel discussion in Omaha broadcast live to about 400 theaters across the country. Hopefully this documentary which will be shown at both political conventions will raise some much needed awareness.
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #47
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Answer Desk: How bad is the economy? - Answer desk - MSNBC.com

Here's comparison of recessions over the last 35 yrs.

2007 28' Int CCD.
2011 F 250 Big Honking Diesel
DTV 5lnb on a tripod.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
The End of Credit Card Consumerism - US News and World Report

Realistic look at today. IMHO It's not the end of the world, it's just going to be different for awhile.
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
national debt

I was reading Alan Greenspans book titled the age of turbulence. It is an interesting read, and it helps one to realize that the economies are no longer national, and that they are interconnected to make a truly global economy.

He also mentions that inflation is tied directly to Government spending. The more Government spends, more inflation. People want to blame the President, but he is only one player on our team, and if you look at what our House of Representatives, and Senate has spent these past 8 years on earmark spending ( a fancy name for Pork barrell) designed to keep them elected you begin to realize that we no longer have a Government of the people, for the people. Instead, they are for themselves. I really believe that we the people have to stop expecting the government to provide everything and begin to take responsibility for ourselves in our daily lives.

Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have several friends in law enforcement they all tell me that their agencies are undergoing intensive urban riot control training right now.

Preparing for food riots, maybe?

It's really disturbing to me.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Naperville , Illinois
When I was young my mother would use a bedsheet until it became frayed , then she would cut up the bedsheet and make some pillowcases out of them, when the pillowcases got ragged she would make dishtowels out of them, when the dishtowels got torn, she would make napkins out of them, when the napkins got frayed, she would cut them into squares, when she got enough squares, she would make a BEDSHEET! True story, honest, I wouldn't lie to you guys, at least that's the way I remember it. I think.
nodpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
All your stories, comments have been good reading.

My husband and I cleared our land, built our own home. Buying and using the materials we could afford. It took us many years to really finish our home. We did. Now we do wish we had built a smaller home. We burn only wood we drop and split.

Grow some of our own food, make our own bread, and bake most of our snacks. No chips, just good food. Meat serving small and not every day of the week. Veggies,
home made soups...good basic food...we prepare from scratch.

Purchased the Airstream we could afford. Did the repairs ourselves. We never purchase unless we can afford. AND we have everything we really need.

We look forward to good HEALTH. Isn't life what you make it?
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #53
2005 19' Safari
Carlsbad , California
This has been such a great post. I am new here but I have a feeling that we are going to meet quite a few other self-sufficient individuals while airstreaming :: My husband and I have only been married a few years now, but the longer we are together the more we love to DIO- Do-It-Ourselves! :: We bake our own bread, make our own beer and grow a few small herbs and fruits- but we couldn't afford land. But we hope to get a piece of the open road while we're campin' in the Bambi.

RivetsforRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member
Intown , New Jersey
@FoiledAgain: That's is great advice. I have been pretty good about keeping my junk to a minimum, though books are still my weakness.

@overlander63: When I turned 40 last year, I must have passed some milestone, because I really stopped caring what people would think about where I lived. I work with people who live in very expensive houses, and are always worried about making their monthly payments. I'd rather stick to what I know I can pay for.

@FoiledAgain: I think a small living space creates a self-regulating life-style. You wouldnt buy stuff even if you had the money, because you didn't have the space.

@crusty: You should listen to Alex Jones broadcasts, if you really want to worry about the future.

@aria: Thats great to hear. I would like to do what you have done. I just to get an AS, some land, and a wife, lol.
innjtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California

NCUA, an acronym of growing importance... National Credit Union Administration

Many of us have credit union savings which may or may not be covered adequately by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF).

Even when talking with our institution yesterday, we found that it is easy to become confused about maximum insurance coverage amounts for various accounts and how to increase coverage by setting up various types of accounts.

NCUA Share Insurance Estimator is a tool that can help us understand our share insurance protection.

It's time for a review of assets and how to protect them.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Unhappy Camping

So far, the posts have been interesting but few, if any, address the question. Economic down turn causes havoc on camping and even more so on Boondocking because of people left homeless and jobless. Walmart parking lots and truck stops are becoming dangerous places to spend the night. BLM camping is filling up with transit people that are certainly not there for recreation. National public lands are filling up with the homeless. Beat up old rv's are becoming home to more and more families. It reminds me of "The Grapes of Wrath".

I remember traveling to the balloon fiesta last year and I stayed overnight at a Walmart in Colorado Springs. It was full of people struggling on the edge. Several times people knocked on my door asking if I had any leftovers or if I needed anything fixed. Youngsters running around unsupervised.

My heart goes out to them all.

I still Boondock. Particularly when I'm traveling from A to B but now I always carry a weapon, keep my cell phone charged, and case the joint before I settledown. I look for places that have others in my situation.

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote