E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Well last year we full-timed in the Sovereign from May to December. When we moved into our house, we parked Alice in the RV garage and haven't touched her since. In fact, I just pulled her out last weekend, aired up the tires and took her to get a bath, which she desperately needed. I'm happy that the Walbernize held up well, because the dirt came right off with very little effort.

Until we are able to close on our house, I'm afraid that Alice is going to have to hibernate. Maybe next year we'll take a weekend trip over to Fredericksburg, TX and stay at the KOA, or maybe even go to Big Bend NP.
Or maybe Amarillo - Palo Duro...? Or for a real thriller, Moss Creek Lake (BigSpring)?

Good luck with your house, Stingray - Big Bend-Ft. Davis are really nice places to camp.

Are y'all staying in San Angelo or movin' on?

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Oil going down

Well, Airstreamers, today oil closed at just half of what it was the first of July 08, and lower than it was a year ago today.

There already has been talk of gas under $3. We bought gas in Tracy, CA last Sunday for $3.299

We'll see........

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Anniversaries and Airstreams make a wonderful fit! (RE: Gene's and Stephanie's earlier posts) For several years we've been making a late fall trip (late October or early November) for our anniversary and we're doing it again this up-coming weekend. Off we'll go to Bennett Springs State Park for four days of crispy air, shy trout, and campfires to mark our 45th. Added to the fun, our daughter and her friends will be camping there also..more company around the fire. And, when we think of what some other anniversary events have cost, this is more fun and much much less costly! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Happy Anniversary Georgia and Max! Wishing you two many many more.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The end of the world has been put on hold . Of course tomorrow is another day. Do you get the feeling that they aren't telling us something?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #202
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
At the risk of offending by paraphrasing from a source some don't like:
Don't worry about tomorrow's problems; each day has trouble enough for itself.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #203
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Or maybe Amarillo - Palo Duro...? Or for a real thriller, Moss Creek Lake (BigSpring)?

Good luck with your house, Stingray - Big Bend-Ft. Davis are really nice places to camp.

Are y'all staying in San Angelo or movin' on?

Haven't decided yet. I like small towns, but I also like being able to drive to a larger town without having to take 3 hours to do it. Brooke and I really have talked about where we're going to live, once I retire from the Army, and we'll either stay here 'till the kids are done with high school (8 more years for the youngest) or we'll go to Idaho, where Brooke is from....Maryland is just too expensive to move back to.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Economic collaps

Economic collaps,How will it effect you and me.
Maybe after 4 Nov 2008 this could be comming to a Airstream near you.

"Experience hath shown that even under the best form of Government those entrusted with power have,in time and slow operation,perverted into tyranny"
"Sure you can trust the Government,ASK any Indian"
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #205
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post

"Experience hath shown that even under the best form of Government those entrusted with power have,in time and slow operation,perverted into tyranny"

Indeed

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
I think this is a half truth, maybe quarter truth. Some people in government are corrupted, some not so slowly. But there are honorable people in government. Some people have, in my opinion, bad policies, but they are neither corrupt nor tyrants.

Americans have been berating politicians for hundreds of years. Sometimes more, sometimes, less. One thing that happens when we say everyone in government is or becomes corrupt, is to make good people avoid government. In fact, I think it encourages bad people to go into government.

I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government.

Gene
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
"Cream rises to the top...except in politcs"
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #208
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thumbs down

This is a real cheery thread, when you think of it.

Well, you guys take over, I'm off to hide my head in the sand...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think this is a half truth, maybe quarter truth. Some people in government are corrupted, some not so slowly. But there are honorable people in government. Some people have, in my opinion, bad policies, but they are neither corrupt nor tyrants.

Americans have been berating politicians for hundreds of years. Sometimes more, sometimes, less. One thing that happens when we say everyone in government is or becomes corrupt, is to make good people avoid government. In fact, I think it encourages bad people to go into government.

I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government.

Gene
Gene, you said a mouthful. I think you are right on the button. Why should anyone want to be subjected to what the media and others subject our politicians to, when really good people can get a better job, probably for more money, and not be subjected to all of that? Power is one answer, perhaps greed is another. Oh sure, some may want to "make things right", but how long does that last? Perhaps too soon, what they started out to do, gets overshadowed by ambition and self promotion.

When this government was started, the idea was to "take the farmer out of the field" to serve for a time, then return to the farm. Not to make a lifetime job for attorneys.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Crawford Gene said,
"I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government".

Blame Woodward and Bernstein for a dearth of good candidates from either party. "Gotcha journalism" (see NYT story on a potential first lady yesterday) has made politics a blood sport.

Unless and until we get news reports that are unfiltered by right or left bias, we will never attract decent candidates. Just ask Mitt Romney.