Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The end of the world has been put on hold . Of course tomorrow is another day. Do you get the feeling that they aren't telling us something?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #202
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
At the risk of offending by paraphrasing from a source some don't like:
Don't worry about tomorrow's problems; each day has trouble enough for itself.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #203
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Or maybe Amarillo - Palo Duro...? Or for a real thriller, Moss Creek Lake (BigSpring)?

Good luck with your house, Stingray - Big Bend-Ft. Davis are really nice places to camp.

Are y'all staying in San Angelo or movin' on?

Haven't decided yet. I like small towns, but I also like being able to drive to a larger town without having to take 3 hours to do it. Brooke and I really have talked about where we're going to live, once I retire from the Army, and we'll either stay here 'till the kids are done with high school (8 more years for the youngest) or we'll go to Idaho, where Brooke is from....Maryland is just too expensive to move back to.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Economic collaps

Economic collaps,How will it effect you and me.
Maybe after 4 Nov 2008 this could be comming to a Airstream near you.

"Experience hath shown that even under the best form of Government those entrusted with power have,in time and slow operation,perverted into tyranny"
"Sure you can trust the Government,ASK any Indian"
Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #205
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post

"Experience hath shown that even under the best form of Government those entrusted with power have,in time and slow operation,perverted into tyranny"

Indeed

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #206
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
I think this is a half truth, maybe quarter truth. Some people in government are corrupted, some not so slowly. But there are honorable people in government. Some people have, in my opinion, bad policies, but they are neither corrupt nor tyrants.

Americans have been berating politicians for hundreds of years. Sometimes more, sometimes, less. One thing that happens when we say everyone in government is or becomes corrupt, is to make good people avoid government. In fact, I think it encourages bad people to go into government.

I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
"Cream rises to the top...except in politcs"
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #208
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thumbs down

This is a real cheery thread, when you think of it.

Well, you guys take over, I'm off to hide my head in the sand...
Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think this is a half truth, maybe quarter truth. Some people in government are corrupted, some not so slowly. But there are honorable people in government. Some people have, in my opinion, bad policies, but they are neither corrupt nor tyrants.

Americans have been berating politicians for hundreds of years. Sometimes more, sometimes, less. One thing that happens when we say everyone in government is or becomes corrupt, is to make good people avoid government. In fact, I think it encourages bad people to go into government.

I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government.

Gene
Gene, you said a mouthful. I think you are right on the button. Why should anyone want to be subjected to what the media and others subject our politicians to, when really good people can get a better job, probably for more money, and not be subjected to all of that? Power is one answer, perhaps greed is another. Oh sure, some may want to "make things right", but how long does that last? Perhaps too soon, what they started out to do, gets overshadowed by ambition and self promotion.

When this government was started, the idea was to "take the farmer out of the field" to serve for a time, then return to the farm. Not to make a lifetime job for attorneys.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Crawford Gene said,
"I think we should be encouraging people of good character (there is some disagreement over what that means) and high intelligence to go into government".

Blame Woodward and Bernstein for a dearth of good candidates from either party. "Gotcha journalism" (see NYT story on a potential first lady yesterday) has made politics a blood sport.

Unless and until we get news reports that are unfiltered by right or left bias, we will never attract decent candidates. Just ask Mitt Romney.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #211
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post

Blame Woodward and Bernstein for a dearth of good candidates from either party. "Gotcha journalism"
Interesting concept. Blame corruption on policing of corruption. Humm, I'll ponder that one.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #212
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Interesting concept. Blame corruption on policing. Humm, I'll ponder that one.

Yeah, from the Karl Rove school of politics. I tend to agree somewhat that journalism has moved from reporting the news to trying to make it (tabloid headlines does seem to sell newspapers). However, politicians seem to screw up so often, the story just falls in the reporters lap!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #213
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post

Blame Woodward and Bernstein for a dearth of good candidates from either party. "Gotcha journalism" (see NYT story on a potential first lady yesterday) has made politics a blood sport.
"Gotcha Journalism"....been around awhile.

Yellow Journalism

Free is for me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Read as much as you can and make up your OWN mind. FWIW
Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #214
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
At the risk of offending by paraphrasing from a source some don't like:
Don't worry about tomorrow's problems; each day has trouble enough for itself.
Take the risk and "offend" away! One of our biggest social problems today is that we're afraid of "offending" someone. Stand your ground and don't kiss anyone's --s. Be proud of your convictions!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
800+ billion dollars..

Write your Congress Critter and tell 'em you would be satisfied with a million each for everyone. Problem solved.
Very interesting to ponder.......even if you did suggest in fun.

What would you be able to do with your Million? I went through this very conversation with my dad when I was about twelve. I told him I would go to the hobby shop and buy the model airplane I was saving up my allowance to buy.
He said that the hobby shop would be closed..... I told him that the hobby shop is open every day. He said, "Not any more, the owner and his wife each got a million dollars. He doesn't need to work anymore."

Everyone getting a million dollars seems like a great idea, if you want to cut your own lawn, haul your own trash to the dump, grow your own food, pump (by hand) your own water from your own well, the list goes on.

Oh,,,,,, did I say haul your own trash to the dump? Be sure you don't run out of gas, the guy at the corner gas station isn't going to be there either. He and his lovely wife just had the good fortune of getting a million dollars each and are spending their time trying to find a way to get to the Bahamas without swimming.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #216
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Very interesting to ponder.......even if you did suggest in fun.

What would you be able to do with your Million? I went through this very conversation with my dad when I was about twelve. I told him I would go to the hobby shop and buy the model airplane I was saving up my allowance to buy.
He said that the hobby shop would be closed..... I told him that the hobby shop is open every day. He said, "Not any more, the owner and his wife each got a million dollars. He doesn't need to work anymore."

Everyone getting a million dollars seems like a great idea, if you want to cut your own lawn, haul your own trash to the dump, grow your own food, pump (by hand) your own water from your own well, the list goes on.

Oh,,,,,, did I say haul your own trash to the dump? Be sure you don't run out of gas, the guy at the corner gas station isn't going to be there either. He and his lovely wife just had the good fortune of getting a million dollars each and are spending their time trying to find a way to get to the Bahamas without swimming.
I have one word that blows this theory out of the water. GREED!!!!!!

One half of the people would be trying to sell something to the other half to get thier money. I think its called Capitolism.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #217
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79 View Post
I have one word that blows this theory out of the water. GREED!!!!!!

One half of the people would be trying to sell something to the other half to get thier money. I think its called Capitolism.

Exactly........If the ladder is horizontal, putting everyone in the same place, no one goes anywhere. The ladder must be vertical.

Met a nice Russian young man in line at the Vatican Museum in 1988. We talked about life where he lived. One thing he said, "We pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us." I found that an interesting comment.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #218
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Airstream shutdown of production...

A post that is a little more on topic and that has impact on all of us Airstreamers.

We are at Jackson Center getting some new cabinets we ordered installed in the silver twinkie.

When the factory tour began yesterday we were told that Airstream is shutting down its PRODUCTION facilities for the next five weeks.

It seems that the dealers are not ordering anything at the minute. There is a fair amount of inventory on the lot here that has not been shipped.

Two of the guys who work in the service department who have been here 45+ years are also retiring coincident with this closure; Larry and Wayne.

The service department will continue to operate during this period as long as there is work to be done.

So, it looks to me like the spiraling economy continues the rush down toward that big hole in the bottom of the bowl.

Fasten your seat belts folks, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Jim, who is patiently waiting for his $1,000,000.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Hi Jim- We met when you were at JC getting measured for the new cabinets.

It's sad to hear about the shut down, although hardly surprising. It is going to be a long rocky road
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I don't know why these companies, and others are surprised... I could see it coming a mile away... It always does... Things go up, Then come down. It's the way it works...

Lets build houses for everyone and give anyone a loan... DUH.... What do you think will happen...

Your bills should never be more than 5/8th of your income.... I new a Doctor and his wife who were living paycheck to paycheck... Come on your a Doc.... But the more money they got the more stuff they bought....

IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY>>>>>>>>>

Sure less people are buying AS the market got flooded the past 8 years or so.... When a trailer last 40+ years you don't need a new one every 10.... Plus the quality went down hill as the need for profits went up..

Personal I don't think the new one's will last 40+ years, My friends 2004 is falling apart on the inside... Hinges, table legs all breaking.

People still have as much money as they did, the media is just scaring everyone into not spending it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote