Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
How to terrorize an Airstream owner ...

... I recently moved to racist redneck hell. My neighbors are seriously strange & scary. The one to the south has her windows COMPLETELY covered with what appear to be mattress pads and, in 4 months, she hasn't waved, spoken, nada. Not that she comes out from under the mattress pads often anyway. She also has a decrepit stuffed monkey hanging from her trees & one of her birdhouses has a naked baby doll sitting on top of it. So why was I surprised to be awoken at 8:37 a.m. by a familiar sound coming from the direction where my Airstreams are parked? I am VERY GROGGY in the mornings & not much gets me storming out of the house in a bathrobe & slippers. Why on EARTH wouldn't this woman have given me a heads up that a 60-foot sycamore was coming down 30 feet from $30,000 in aluminum real estate. I am livid, I am flabbergasted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi2 (Small).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	20191  

Old 04-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Reminds me of the day a friend and I went over to another friend's house to help take out a tree. Some fancy angle measurements and a little geometry said that the tree couldn't quite reach the house.

Gee, but it sure looked tall.....

It actually reached the house and beyond, but luckily missed the house by a few inches, taking only one shingle off the roof. Owner's wife gave me the beadiest stare ever and stalked into the house.

Hope the tree guys next door have a more reliable calculator... ... shoot, maybe I was using radians instead of degress?

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Reminds me of a close call I had two years ago in the winter when my neighbor's tree fell next to my house in the spot where I normally store my Airstream. Lucky for us, our Airstream was sitting at Jackson Center that winter for some repair work otherwise it would have been crushed.

The spot in the picture below is where the Airstream would normally be stored for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	20193  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
... shoot, maybe I was using radians instead of degress?
Or even mils maybe? Kid, hopefully your tincans stay intact. Otherwise I think that monkey and baby might be havin themselves a accident (is that how you say it in redneckese?)

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I can't even look ...

... so here is the view from my computer desk, which doesn't quite explain why I took a chance on this Midwestern meth heaven, but it IS some consolation as the weather gets nicer:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	view (Small).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	20192  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
... so here is the view from my computer desk, which doesn't quite explain why I took a chance on this Midwestern meth heaven, but it IS some consolation as the weather gets nicer:
Very nice location. But, keep in mind, as the weather gets nicer, for better or worse, your neighbors will probably come out of their house!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
... I recently moved to racist redneck hell. My neighbors are seriously strange & scary. The one to the south has her windows COMPLETELY covered with what appear to be mattress pads and, in 4 months, she hasn't waved, spoken, nada. Not that she comes out from under the mattress pads often anyway. She also has a decrepit stuffed monkey hanging from her trees & one of her birdhouses has a naked baby doll sitting on top of it. So why was I surprised to be awoken at 8:37 a.m. by a familiar sound coming from the direction where my Airstreams are parked? I am VERY GROGGY in the mornings & not much gets me storming out of the house in a bathrobe & slippers. Why on EARTH wouldn't this woman have given me a heads up that a 60-foot sycamore was coming down 30 feet from $30,000 in aluminum real estate. I am livid, I am flabbergasted.
So did you move the trailers out of the way!?!?!?!

I'd move them even a few feet if it ment a few more feet or margin.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Good luck!

Bummer about the neighbors. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like they are not the type of neighbor that you could take some baked goods over and introduce yourself to (mattresses in the window!)...
Gorgeous view of the river (lake?)...I'm thinking a nice tall privacy fence between you and the folks who've gone to the mattresses would be a good investment...cause as yuki pointed out they'll be coming out in the summer....sorry you had that fright in the am
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'm completely blocked in by equipment. But the sycamore is sufficiently sheared now to the point where the trunk that is left can't reach the trailers. Thank the Lord they had to be super-careful anyway because the sycamore is a scant 6 feet from Mattress Cover Nutjob's shack, which is probably worth less than the Airstreams. Maybe she herself is hoping the whole shebang gets crushed for the insurance money, because her red Mustang with the vanity plate is parked in the garage, which near as I can tell accounts for much of the square footage of her house. (Those windows are also covered with mattress pads. But late one night the lights in the garage were on & I could see written on the window covering---backward from the outside, of course---"Send help." Ain't that the truth, I thought.)

The most dangerous minutes were probably those when I was still coming to, lying in bed thinking "Boy, that sounds like an extension truck & wood chipper out by the Airstreams. Naw, that doesn't make any sense ......"
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
ahh......you might not want to meet her......

couldn't resist.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	freak.b.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	20194  
Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Why assume anything? A good example of this is that Super Bowl ad with the two doctors who killed the fly with the defibrillator. Appearances CAN be deceiving. Maybe they have mattresses on the windows because this year they can't afford to fix the windows that leak cold air in the winter? Perhaps their money is being used to pay for cancer treatments for the husband on his death bed?

I would personally take a chance -- bake that cake or muffins -- knock on the door -- introduce yourself.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
... I recently moved to racist redneck hell.
Ummmmm........ why?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why assume anything? A good example of this is that Super Bowl ad with the two doctors who killed the fly with the defibrillator. Appearances CAN be deceiving. Maybe they have mattresses on the windows because this year they can't afford to fix the windows that leak cold air in the winter? Perhaps their money is being used to pay for cancer treatments for the husband on his death bed?

I would personally take a chance -- bake that cake or muffins -- knock on the door -- introduce yourself.
If that doesn't work, and you end up shuffling off your mortal coil to the theme of "Deliverance", can I have your Airstreams?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Cool Will this road take us to Antry?

Wow you know from the description I took it that it was scary in terms of a personal safety scary. Just my take on it, there are many a lot braver than me...my motto is "run away, run away..." that's how most of our family got to America
The monkey in the tree thing and the writing 'send help' that's kinda spooky to me. Good luck!!