Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
to shipe or not to snipe?

I came upon this thread while I was searching "snipe" I understand from this thread that there are several programs out there that let a bidder place their bid at the last second.
What do you fellow forum members think... to snipe or not to snipe?

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #42
Certifiable

. , .
Very inexperienced ebay user here, but I kinda learned how to "snipe" on my own and didn't realize until recently that there was a name for it! I basically just came up with my max price, kept my powder dry, threw out a low price midway through to see how long it took to process, and waited. In my case, with my computer here on the east coast, I waited until there were three seconds left before firing. In my case it worked.

About two weeks ago I was relating my experience to an accomplished ebay user and he called me a sniper! Then he told me there were computer programs you can use to get it down to the last second and that that's what he uses. Now I feel totally undergunned and will probably resort to one of these programs if I ever decide to bid on ebay again.

If you and I are going for the same thing and we have the same high bid at the end who's gonna win?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue

If you and I are going for the same thing and we have the same high bid at the end who's gonna win?
first bid of the same amount wins the auction. If you and I both bid a dollar on an item, whoever got the bid in first wins.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
That's a good question...

I do the same thing you do...if I really want something I sit and wait till the last 15 seconds to place my bid...it's then that I'll sneak in for the kill. I always bid a tad higher than I really want to pay because at this point there are no second chances. I have been pretty lucky and come out ahead most of the time. There have been a few things that I know I have lost to with the sniping websights out there. The only benefit of using a websight like that is piece of mind when it comes to bidding...you don't have to sit around and wait with your heart pounding and all waiting to pounce on the auction....they also charge you usually a monthly fee to use the service.....

I like my method...I figure if I don't win it, it wasn't meant to be..... it's all about being patient and knowing there is always going to be another opportunity to bid on something similar on Ebay.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #45
Certifiable

. , .
Sorry for the confusion. I intended the question to be rhetorical. What I was trying to get across is that there are "pros" out there who really know how to "play" ebay. If you're going up against one of them in an auction they will "win" more times than not (the criteria for "winning" each auction being established by each bidder). These pros have certain weapons at their disposal and use them regularly. If you want to try to compete with them without all of the weapons ... good luck!

Personally, I use the same method enduroryda employs. And I have the same attitude about winning on ebay. But if there was something truly unique that I really wanted, I might consider getting one of those sniping packages. Just my two cents worth.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Bid what you are willing to pay - whatever the item is its 95% certain there will another one along before too long. Bid early well below what you'd like to pay just in case no one else is motivated to bid - there are many re-sellers who bid a couple of dollars in hopes of relisting item at a higher price. I've lost needful items because I was full and sleepy after dinner that, if had I pre-bid on it, I would've won.

The most fun is using your PC's internal clock with a well practiced click and lobbing your bid in so it arrives with so little time left the sniper programs can not respond! Most programs want to increase bids in small increments so even if they have two or three seconds they will fail to ramp up price and win. Beware though even a half an eye blink delay means you lost the $50 item to someone that paid $1 because you were playing around.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #47
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I found that you can get alerts sent to your cell phone as well. You get a call 2 minutes before the action ends and it lets you know if you are the high bidder or not. You can even place bids via the phone. I won an item like that at breakfast in front of Codeybears trailer at 29 Palms. I have the red hat on....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote