Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #43
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by mistral blue

If you and I are going for the same thing and we have the same high bid at the end who's gonna win?
first bid of the same amount wins the auction. If you and I both bid a dollar on an item, whoever got the bid in first wins.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Originally Posted by mistral blue
If you and I are going for the same thing and we have the same high bid at the end who's gonna win?
That's a good question...

I do the same thing you do...if I really want something I sit and wait till the last 15 seconds to place my's then that I'll sneak in for the kill. I always bid a tad higher than I really want to pay because at this point there are no second chances. I have been pretty lucky and come out ahead most of the time. There have been a few things that I know I have lost to with the sniping websights out there. The only benefit of using a websight like that is piece of mind when it comes to don't have to sit around and wait with your heart pounding and all waiting to pounce on the auction....they also charge you usually a monthly fee to use the service.....

I like my method...I figure if I don't win it, it wasn't meant to be..... it's all about being patient and knowing there is always going to be another opportunity to bid on something similar on Ebay.

Ann & Eric
WBCCI 6274
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #45
. , .
Sorry for the confusion. I intended the question to be rhetorical. What I was trying to get across is that there are "pros" out there who really know how to "play" ebay. If you're going up against one of them in an auction they will "win" more times than not (the criteria for "winning" each auction being established by each bidder). These pros have certain weapons at their disposal and use them regularly. If you want to try to compete with them without all of the weapons ... good luck!

Personally, I use the same method enduroryda employs. And I have the same attitude about winning on ebay. But if there was something truly unique that I really wanted, I might consider getting one of those sniping packages. Just my two cents worth.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Bid what you are willing to pay - whatever the item is its 95% certain there will another one along before too long. Bid early well below what you'd like to pay just in case no one else is motivated to bid - there are many re-sellers who bid a couple of dollars in hopes of relisting item at a higher price. I've lost needful items because I was full and sleepy after dinner that, if had I pre-bid on it, I would've won.

The most fun is using your PC's internal clock with a well practiced click and lobbing your bid in so it arrives with so little time left the sniper programs can not respond! Most programs want to increase bids in small increments so even if they have two or three seconds they will fail to ramp up price and win. Beware though even a half an eye blink delay means you lost the $50 item to someone that paid $1 because you were playing around.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #47
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I found that you can get alerts sent to your cell phone as well. You get a call 2 minutes before the action ends and it lets you know if you are the high bidder or not. You can even place bids via the phone. I won an item like that at breakfast in front of Codeybears trailer at 29 Palms. I have the red hat on....

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote