Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
maxandgeorgia, you never ask dumb questions! just the questions the rest of us are too dumb even to ask. in fact, isn't it about time you revived the haiku thread? i'm thinking of having a poetry contest for one wreck of an airstream i have but lost interest in--you MUST participate!

ebay scares me. it's so overwhelmingly huge; i don't see how people find time to play with it, buy, sell, snipe, shill. i'm in the market for a few stained-glass windows & it took me TWO HOURS to look at everything available on ebay on one given day. what if i had to do that with EVERYTHING i bought? i'd rather do a google search on "striped duvet" and then buy it from pottery barn like i always do!

plus, i'm just not motivated to sell things. i pack unneeded stuff up for charity & am happy to get it out of the house. oh, except for stainless-steel fridges. i have 3 & only need 2. anybody in the chicago area need a fridge?!

Old 01-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
p.s.: Despite what my info says to the left, i am NOT located in a '61 overlander that i personally know to be uninhabitable. still snowed in near chicago, as a matter of fact.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I--I should revive the haiku thread. summerkid? I'd love to have it live again; it was great fun, and warmed some long cold hours last winter, but I didn't create it. I wouldn't dare bring it up again, but the original thread writer certainly could, and by doing so, establish the SECOND annual Airstream haiku writing contest! So. . .let's see if it happens. (Yeh, I know. Some of us will break our fingers trying to keep up with the flow of haiku spilling forth, while others will rant about the silliness of it all!) About ebay bidding, thanks for all the replies. Looks like some of you are quite confident while others are a little iffy, like me! Okay, the dumb questions continue. (Maybe we need a glossary for these conversations!) Many of you talk about snipe bidding. Remember, I'm the one who doesn't understand all this! Please, explain, and thanks for the patience of those of you who already have this all figured out!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Many of you talk about snipe bidding. Remember, I'm the one who doesn't understand all this! Please, explain, and thanks for the patience of those of you who already have this all figured out!
A snipe program, like an Army sniper, sharpshoots the end of the auction with your best bid. You enter the maximum amount of money you are willing to bid, enter the auction number (each ebay auction is individually numbered), and the program does the rest.
The company that provides the sniping program charges a nominal amount as a commission, usually if you don't win the item, you don't have to pay the fee.
Terry
Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Sniping, Georgia, is sending in a bid as close as possible to the last second before the auction closes. The idea is that your bid is the highest and last. You don't give anyone else time to bid that way. There are problems with that approach: first is that if several folks 'snipe' at the same time, your bid may not be accepted if your bid is lower than theirs, and theirs hits first; your bid will be refused. If you bid in with a proxy, the system will automatically re-bid for you if someone bids in right after.

Typically getting your bid done in the last 20 seconds or so is good; the last 10 seconds is best. It can be risky, but it's good entertainment and can be fun as well.

Again, reputation and feedback is everything on eBay, and I always thoroughly check the seller's feedback prior to bidding. I also use PayPal and Visa as I said in an earlier post. Nothing is ever 100%, but you can sure hedge your exposure that way.

Roger
Old 02-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Mound City , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Catfisherman
Play on ebay

I either enter a max bid I believe the item is worth and take my chances, buy it now, or send a message to the seller and discuss the buy it now price or a new price if I purchase more than one item to combine shipment costs etc. I have collected the following items... A 3 feet piece of material resulted in a hand made quilt, 2 place mats, and 2 pieces placed in picture frames for example, along with the ash tray, sugar/milk set and a few salt and pepper shakers. Recent additions have been the airstream lights for the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay material made into items 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	10310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ash tray, sets, clock.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	10311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	items in airstream.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	10312  
Old 02-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
How neat to actually see your successes with ebay play! I'm still lurking and watching. Don't know WHAT I'll do if my little silver or Argosy baby does appear on ebay and I just know it's mine. . .but. . .maybe I just have to stop this addictive checking to see what's up for bidding! If I never know it's up for bid, I'll never know I missed it. But, that's no fun. . .ARGH!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #22
1983 Airstream 300

Question bad experience: what would you do?

I purchased a palm-pilot from a seller (paid for it via paypal 5 min after winning)
and waited three weeks for the guy to contact me. He never answered emails. I finally got ahold of him on the phone. He told me a story of how the outgoing shipment must have got lost in the mail. Then followed that up with telling me he's got another unit he will send me with no sync cradle or charger for a 30 dollar cash refund included in the box. I was desperate to get that exact model for technical reasons so I reluctantly agreed. he waited another week to send it.
When it came time for feedback, I told the short factual truth about the experience.
The seller was practically indescribable in his overblown negative feedback about me.
Its been 3 months. I figure that I should just start a new account.
What would you do?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Other Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Don't know WHAT I'll do if my little silver or Argosy baby does appear on ebay and I just know it's mine. . .but. . .maybe I just have to stop this addictive checking to see what's up for bidding! . .ARGH!
Have you checked www.rvtraderonline.com? (If you're searching for airstreams, limit your years or you'll get more than 200, most of them new ones. If you want an Argosy, enter that as a separate choice, there are rarely more than 2 or 3 at a time. AND they always tell you where they are located.) What about the classifieds in Airstreamer on www.airstream.com?

Overall more information, lotsa choices - and some duplication with eBay.

Tin Lizzie

Got my tags & title, now pray for a warm temperatures!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwiz
I purchased a palm-pilot from a seller (paid for it via paypal 5 min after winning)
and waited three weeks for the guy to contact me. He never answered emails. I finally got ahold of him on the phone. He told me a story of how the outgoing shipment must have got lost in the mail. Then followed that up with telling me he's got another unit he will send me with no sync cradle or charger for a 30 dollar cash refund included in the box. I was desperate to get that exact model for technical reasons so I reluctantly agreed. he waited another week to send it.
When it came time for feedback, I told the short factual truth about the experience.
The seller was practically indescribable in his overblown negative feedback about me.
What would you do?
Explain what happened to eBay and you can get them to take it off your account. We've had this happen before as well, and eBay has been good about fixing it so we can keep our reputation clean.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:54 AM   #25
Craftsman

Stephanie, It's my understanding that the only way negative feedback can be removed is by mutual agreemrent between the persons involved in the transaction. Then, the orginal comments remain, it's just stated that for what ever reason they've agreed to withdraw the comments. eBay will not remove negitive feedback and even if you close your account and reopen it, it remains with you.I now have 470 positive feedbacks and one negitive. That one negitive is from a member that gave me negitive because I gave him negitive for not paying for a winning bid. It remains on your record FOREVER.As a matter of fact ebay states that the only resons that THEY would remove feedback is if:A court would demand it, it contained vulgar language or it contained personal contact information, and then it's not an easy process.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #26
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
... I told the short factual truth about the experience.
What would you do?
What a shame that happened but don't forget that you can respond on your feedback page to his negative feedback. Usually people like that have at least a few negatives so your response is more believable. Write something thoughtful and resonable sounding.

Also, you can negotiate with him to have the feedback removed (through ebay). Did you give him a negative too and that's why he's so upset? Also, it's my belief that sellers should give feedback after receiving payment because the buyer has completed their obligation. Never give feedback first when you are a buyer. I've avoided giving negative or neutral feedback just to keep from getting the "retaliation feedback". You simply have to consider the consequences of giving a "neg". If you can't leave anything nice don't leave anything...but I've never been really screwed so far.

If your buyer was telling the truth he actually did you a huge favor by replacing the item. It sounds like the shipment maybe wasn't insured. That's always a good idea and it proves that it actually got shipped too.

If you have dozens of feedbacks it might be worth keeping 1 neg. Most people understand a good ebayer can get smacked by a rouge neg.

Best of luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Definitly reply to the feedback and defend yourself. I'd still contact eBay and explain the situation and see if they would work with you and the seller to get it fixed somehow.

I believe the feedback we got removed was from a buyer who had been subsequently kicked off. So maybe that makes a difference. We have a policy of not giving negative feedback, because it tends to get you the same back, which is unfair to the innocent party. We tend to give neutral feedback at the worst, as do a lot of people. So be sure and check the actual feedback comments to see if there are a lot of neutrals and read them before bidding.

We have an over 2000/100% rating on ebay. We will go far out of our way to make our customers happy, because eBay is a big part of our business.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs down Respond to the negative feedback

Quote:
What would you do?
You should respond to the negative feedback with the truth and expose them for the dishonest jerk that they are. You can also contact Ebay about their dishonesty. Obviously, they was offering an item for sale that they did not have, but that they thought they could obtain quickly for a lesser price. There are many people out there who are buying items from wholesalers and reselling them, on Ebay, but sometimes the item runs out prior to their auction listing ending. Always check the seller's history before bidding, I saw a similar situation's feedback from a buyer who had waited weeks for partial shipment of an item, then when he gave negative feedback he was flamed for it. The seller then posted the same item for sale again (book and cd set). When I inquired of the seller if shipment would be within 24 hours of payment, I received no response. I later looked on Amazon, the book and cd set was availabe for $25 less than this person's Buy-It-Now price. He was offering the item on Ebay and he did NOT have it, much like your seller. I PM'ed the previously flamed-buyer, and he contacted Ebay, who eventually removed the feedback from the bogus seller.

If these things go unreported, they will continue to grow.