Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am AAA member - ill have to check that out - do I call them? Is there a website to that effect? Thanks
Just so you know, the first year or two of membership in Coachnet (or whatever it's called) is included in the price of the trailer. For those that don't know, it's like AAA for RVs.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Use your Amazon bucks to purchase "Wanderlust- Airstream at 75" for a big ole beautiful coffe table book.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
If you're so bored, I have weeds to pull and other yard work you can do ... (I always hated when Mother would say that to me)

Just go out & play ...

We ordered ours in Nov & had to wait til March

We don t feel sorry for you ... We feel your pain, but we don't feel sorry for you.

Congratulations on your decision and the impending arrival.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
If you're really, really, bored (and have the time and desire) perhaps you could provide a list of over-the-counter medications and other first-aid items we should take with us on the road.

The FaN's medicine cabinet contains Bandaids, bug repellant, and a bottle of Aspirin. Somehow, I think I could do a lot better.

Don't feel compelled to do so -
just trying to relieve that ennui.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I have no real objective with this thread.

But I just want to say that the wait to get my new AS (end of oct) is already killing me.

Re-read "airstream for newbies" this weekend while traveling to see my in-laws...that helped - but once done its worse on my mind

Hi, we also ordered our trailer. Waited for several months for it to be built and delivered to our dealer. The wait allowed us to purchase without paying any sales tax. [can't do that now] And we had to wait for our vacation time to go get it. Since we were both working full time jobs, we didn't have time to get bored.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Saw this brand new one on the way to work - argh

This between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa on 20/59
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3029172842.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	552.5 KB
ID:	192047  

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thinking about my AAA membership triggered the fact that they offer a "Plus RV" package that will include the Airstream as well in case of a break down. I also have the top tier Good Sam road side so I figure one or the other can respond because neither one has 100% coverage everywhere.

We are still awaiting the confirmation of the 27FB Classic actual build starting date in January 2014.

Important stuff is accumulating in a large pile in the garage....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have AAA Plus RV and have been very happy with it all 'round.

Rather than accumulating the piles of paper they give you, though, I would recommend a few camping/travel apps for your phone or IPad.

Spend some of your down time familiarizing yourself with them. . So much easier than all the paper.

We have CampWhere, Passport America and AllStays.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
cool...great advice..I have AAA for my cars now...and I will see about it and good sam soon for roadside assistance...I have read on this forum that neither are 100% coverage.

Ill check out those apps for sure...ive heard of allstays on here....the other two I am unaware of...

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be careful with GS. Once you join, you are flooded with solicitations, and their discounts can be improved upon with Passport America, public campgrounds, etc.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So a few things I know I want to get, but am not sure what brand/model to get:

Torque Wrench...not sure if I need like 25-100lb or one of the 25-250 just to have it for all future purposes...suppose I neeed to figure out what my torque on lug nuts on truck (RAM 2500 diesel 2010) is to answer that question. I am hoping if I am patient and watch amazon and local sears to find a good deal on one...since I have 3 months to get one, I can really bargan shop for this type of item and others.

I presume I will need chocks (I need to figure out what exactly comes in the "care package" that comes with the AS - does anyone know what to expect to come stock from the dealer? I presume the very cheap chocks will be insufficient for broad use...ive read some about chocks on threads here and I will need to decide what I want to do there...I will likely waith for christmas etc to buy things that I can get buy without the nicer versions of up front....

Leveling blocks I presume Ill need to buy...not sure if "care package" will have a set of cheapy lego blocks...these I understand I can use for changing tire as well.

Need a good quality tire pressure gage (digital vs. analogue?)

Need a tire pump...I have a like 40 dollar one I got from auto zone a few year ago...plugs into cigarette lighter...please tell me there is one that hooks to the batteries and can do the job a bit faster...its absurd slow...Im not even sure it will work on higher pressure rated tires tbh...

I need some way to organize my tools in my bag....I think I am 75% of the way there...I have nice 18inch dewault tool bag, a tool roolup with assorted tools, two rollups for wrenches (metric and standard), 4 klein tool zipper bags that right now I put a couple different assortments of sockets in to keep them straight. The sockets are my real challenge...cannot seem to figure out how I want to keep them in the bag...I think I have given up and just plan on doing them in different bags and call it a day. Just need a couple more of those bags I think to complete my organizational scheme.

multimeter

perhaps a bottle jack (I know, NOT for use on axels)

I am really going to hate buying the surge protector..$$$ - but I will buy it - I am thinking I may use my amazon money to soften that horrific blow

Need an adapter(s) for my 18v makita drill to use sockets with it - been wanting that for a while and keep forgetting to pick it up.

Need a set of allen wrenches...lost my previous set....cant decide what style of set I want really now...probably will stick with a standard set that insert into a sort of storage device...that is what I previous had and liked it fine. Do AS's have alot of hex or star type heads or weird things like that?

I probably wont pick up some of the tools stuff right off the bat...will pick those up as I go along in the coming year or so....but the torque wrench, and some other items are a must.

Any recommendations folks on insurance on AS? good sam I presume offers...my dad is ex-airforce, i need to ask him if he has USAA, otherwise allstate does my other insurance and I can get quotes from progressive and others...

I do enjoy the preparation stuff though...although I plan on keeping it bare essentials and building from there...will do alot of local camping this winter during which time I can get a better feel for what I want/need to bring along.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Be careful with GS. Once you join, you are flooded with solicitations, and their discounts can be improved upon with Passport America, public campgrounds, etc.

Maggie
I joined Good Sam for one reason only— I get a discount on my RV insurance that's bigger than the price of membership.

When I was shopping for insurance, I got two different quotes from Progressive, one with a Good Sam discount, one without. The difference was over $400 per year on my Interstate's insurance, for the low, low price of a $25 per year membership.

Even if I never use any other GS benefit, it's worth it to me.

Granted, that's for agreed value insurance on a 2012 Interstate, but even for less expensive Airstreams, the savings can be significant.

And yeah, the four-times-a-week mailings are a pain, but I just take them to work and drop them in the recycle bin with the rest of the waste paper.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So a few things I know I want to get, but am not sure what brand/model to get:
Sounds like you need to schedule a trip to your local Harbor Freight.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
The AAA Trip-Tiks and books have to be ordered (I think you can do this online) but are free for members. The region lodging and camping books are great!

Other ways to kill time and spend money:

1. Scouring ebay and used book stores for old fun historical airstream-related publications.
2. Buy an Airstream wardrobe - a whole new set of clothes to store in yer trailer. No packing ever needed.
3. Order AIR stickers - they might arrive before your trailer - maybe
4. Rehearse your responses to those questions you will be asked over and over again... "do they still make those, etc..."
5. Get your tow vehicle tuned up, checked out, etc.

Bonus round:
6. Rent a uhaul single axle cargo trailer and practice backing for a whole day
7. Practice sitting in lawnchair with a cool looking drink, raybans and stupid-happy look on your face. Really master this one. Note: you'll need to adapt your style just a little when you are doing this under your zipdee...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote