Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How to market sumpin' odd

Hang in there gang, it'll make sense in a minute.

We bought a 2002 F250 about a year and a half ago. It had a 15,000 lbs 5th wheel hitch sitting in the bed from the PO. He bought a newer TV with a hitch appropriate for his needs, so he left this one for me. Question is now, how do I sell the dern thing?

It's a big, heavy, hulking thing. Originally sold for around $1500, about 5-6 years ago, so it's got to be worth a couple bucks, right?

Since it's so big and heavy, it's probably not going to move easily on Ebay, figuratively and literally. Craig's List is completely out of the question. We had a "Craig's List Murder" here in the Atlanta area a few weeks back (no BS, it really happened). So I'm not comfortable having a lot of those lurkers staking out my house to have a look-see at the hitch (remember, it's a two man lift to get this thing out of the garage in order to meet somebody at a neutral location).

I talked to a local RV place to see if maybe he wanted to try and sell it on consignment. He's not interested. Understandable, he makes a lot more on new merchandise. And I want to see this guy succeed. There are scarcely few of his kind left around me. And it's a nice business, very helpful people with all the odds-n-ends we need for hobby/obsession.

Any ideas? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If worse comes to worse and you can't sell it to anyone as a 5th-wheel hitch, it still has scrap metal value.

But before you go to that extreme, remember that RVs aren't the only trailers who use 5th-wheel hitches. A lot of stock trailers and horse trailers use them, too, so check with your local farming/ranching community.

And never mind Craigslist and Ebay. There's still classified ads in the local newspaper. Old-fashioned, but still viable.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are several Ford forums as well as RV forums where you can list your vehicle. I have bought and sold many vehicles and items on specialty forums, ebay, and craigslist and no one has tried to kill me yet.....except on price!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
There are several Ford forums as well as RV forums where you can list your vehicle. I have bought and sold many vehicles and items on specialty forums, ebay, and craigslist and no one has tried to kill me yet.....except on price!
I think he just wants to sell the hitch.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Yep. Who wants to go thru all that paperwork with the local constabulary? I can envision a conversation something like:

"Detective Johnson, thug number 1 did 'X' and that explains the splatter pattern on the wall just here. Then, thug number 2 did 'Y' and that would explain the fecal matter over here." Who wants to clean that up or fill out all the paperwork? Pass.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Protag, thanks for hints. There's a Tractor Supply near us. I'll bet there's a way to post a For Sale card someplace in that business. That's exactly the kind of thinking I was hoping to find here. Great advice.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm a fan of CL, I've had a lot of luck buying and selling on there, and haven't been murdered yet. Key things to look for is people who are competently communicative via email first. Meet them with somebody else home with you, or load that sucker in your truck and agree to meet them in a place you feel safe. Most people on CL are just folks like yourself. I have an engine on our local CL right now. still sorting through the responses, but really I can't imagine any other way to sell something like this, and there's no way to show it off without having folks come to my garage, so I'm going to be kind of picky who I invite over.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I picked up our 5er off of Craigslist a couple of years ago and a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch from Craigslist last year. Good experiences in both instances.

Post an accurate description along with five or six good quality photos. Price it correctly and it will sell quickly.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Very few if any stock trailers use a 5th wheel hitch. Most use what is commonly called a "gooseneck" hitch. Totally different.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Very few if any stock trailers use a 5th wheel hitch. Most use what is commonly called a "gooseneck" hitch. Totally different.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Not in the RV community. 5th wheel travel trailers use 5th wheel hitches, almost without exception. There are adapters that will convert 5th wheel rigs to a goose neck configuration, but this places increased stress on the trailer pin box and will void manufacturer warranties in most instances.

There is a significant difference between the two hitch types.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
By stock he meant livestock. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Since its a local pick up item, you can list it that way on eBay.

I have had no trouble listing things on CL ... Just being careful who I invite to my home an am vigilant when they are there ... We are always outside, (will the hitch fit on one of those flat furniture dollies?) never inside. Always cash- no checks - no financing.

You can get scammed through most any method of selling ... So just be vigilant.

Good luck
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Ooops! I need to learn to reed & rite...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
List on Craigslist and meet them outside the local police station. Now that's a neutral location (and donate $25 to the officer's coffee fund - uniformed "friends" are nice to have!)

I am listing stuff on craigslist - and using a voice mail number (at the call center my partner and I own) for the call backs. We offer to meet interested buyers across the street from one of the local precincts.

How about local campgrounds? Will they advertise it?

Putting a sign on the truck itself while hanging out at Camping World, Cabella's, Home Depot or Tractor World on a Saturday morning might work too. Are there any big swap meets in your area? The vendors there might be potential buyers.

Paula
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Young Harris , Georgia
There is a site called HitchTrader.com that has free ads. Buy and sell hitches, tow vehicles, and toads and toad equip.

Neal
Koheleth is offline   Reply With Quote