Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
A thousand thank you's to everyone, I will go back up thoroughly armed to fight back against mouse squatting.

I had even tried some of the new fangled things they keep in the hardware store checkout line. Like those little black plastic houses that the mouse enters and the door snaps shut. Not one rental. Guess I could use them to keep little snacks in and put in my day pack while I'm out in BEAR country.

Then there is a large plastic pincher looking thing that you place along their scenic walking trails through your trailer. They snap shut smartly when you close the door too hard or if the dogs jump off the bed, scaring you each and every time. No sign ever of even a tip of mouse tail to be found. I will now use them as big paper clips to keep my to do lists together.

I think I will start with some of the easier solutions and work my way up. I am not too keen on the sticky traps either, but if I find another mouse turd on my toothbrush, the sticky traps are coming in to play.

If I start seriously considering Michael's "Burning Down the Mouse" method, keep an eye out for my next post which is circling round my brain right now.....

Thanks again everyone!

Carol

Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Carol - I am going to attempt to add a different post re: MICE

If it doesn't work, I will say that we too have had a problem before with a large family of rodents. We had to move the trailer to a new storage facility that has asphalt rather than the dirt of the previous one. We also tried to plug every single opening we could find/get to (this was after using the traditional trap/p. butter to eliminate them). Finally, I used a product that was created by a woman who lives on a farm and ALWAYS had mice in such things as tractors, cars, sheds, etc. It is a combo of essential oils (including peppermint) she has infused into corncob. and it smells wonderful!!! I love walking into the trailer and seeing no hint of those pesky critters and having the lovely smell to boot. Nothing else worked for us, not mothballs, dryer sheets, etc. Here is the other post w/my contact for the product...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...elp-53738.html

I wish you the best of luck. They are a pain in the behind, even when you don't sit on the trap

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
People for the Ethical Treatment of Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I've used sticky pads too. My sister had a mouse die from d-con in a wall & it smelled for quite a while. I'm suprised PETA hasn't put up a stink about the pads, though. Even though I don't like mice, they're kinda mean. The mouse basically dies of dehydration. I found one in our barn & the mouse was squeeking. He looked kinda sad & scared.....I made my son put it out of its misery. I felt like a big meanie.
Yes, I feel a little bad about killing mice but then I remember that I am currently chasing a short in my running lights. I am sure when I find the source of the short it will be covered in mouse fingerprints.

Just check your traps often and put them out of your misery promptly.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
A new thought comes to mind...Why not make them work for you after you capture them???

Using that 5 gallon bucket with the cracked corn in the bottom, you can pluck them out with gloves and then give them new employment opportunities. Get a bunch of cotton balls, some double sided duct tape, a ball of string and various cleaning materials.

For each mouse, make a little leash with the string, put a piece of duct tape on the other end to keep them in their work cubicle, attach small patch of duct tape to each of their feet and then stick the cotton balls on.

For window washers: Apply Windex to cotton balls on mouse feet, tape leash to top of window and let them scramble around for awhile till break time.

Wood ledge cleaners: Apply Lemon Pledge to cotton balls and tape to center of ledge to clean up all those nasty little puddles they left there in the first place.

Floor waxers: Apply floor cleaner to cotton balls and then attach at one end of floor, keep reapplying cleaner and moving them across towards to the other end of trailer.

I am sure I will think up some more, how about you?

Carol
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Scrubbing bubbles

Carol, I like the way you think.

I got one. Fashion a mouse harness and to it tie a string.
Attach small scruffy pads to the mouse feet soaked in turd remover, by way of the toilet, lower them into your black tank(drained of course) and have them do some black tank scrubbing.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How to kick the mice out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Try Irish Spring bar soap if the others don't work.
It may take the original formula with green stripes. My Southern Illinois field mice took an immediate liking to Irish Spring soap with alohe -- they managed to consume more than half of a bar in less than one month last winter.

Kevin

P.S.: The mice did entirely avoid the cabinet where I had towels stored with bars of original formula Irish Spring.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Carol, I like the way you think.

I got one. Fashion a mouse harness and to it tie a string.
Attach small scruffy pads to the mouse feet soaked in turd remover, by way of the toilet, lower them into your black tank(drained of course) and have them do some black tank scrubbing.
Michael
michael, you might have something there! as they swim to the sides, they can clean those dirty tank sensors while trying to climb out. when it reads correctly, you flush them to freedom as a reward!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
man this thread is great.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dusting mice: These have little feathers taped to their feet and wear tiny mouse pampers so they can do no further damage and are given free reign over the trailer.

Carol
Old 07-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
They would need muzzles so they couldn't chew but what an idea dishwashing mice too.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
One morning I found a mouse in a wine bottle laying on it's side. The mouse had drank some of the left over wine because I had to gently shake the bottle several times to wake it. I just laid the bottle outside at an angle so it could get out when it sobered up. This trap might work for you, but don't just release it outside near the TT or he'll just come back in at the next happy hour.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dishwashing Mice:
Use fishing line instead of string for leash, cut out carefully one small bubblewrap keeping bubble intact, cut off finger tip of plastic glove and insert end 8-10" piece of thin diameter tubing at tip, glue into place, then insert other end of tubing into bubble, sealing junction quickly with Gorilla glue so air does not escape.
Then insert mouse head into open cut end of glove tip and tape tightly shut around mouse neck. Device will now operate as time limited mouse scuba gear.
Finally attach small pieces of sponge to mouse feet, hook small metal fishing sinker onto leash to keep mouse submerged and toss mouse into sink full of dirty dishes and soapy water and let him scramble around....

Carol
Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello again - not to distract you from all those inventive ideas (I'm going to pass some on to my sister, whose house was overrun by these critters this year), but thought I would post this from the website I was referring to above. This stuff is guaranteed and if you establish the monthly shipment, it is delivered free. I highly recommend you try it out

PS If you purchase the larger pack of 12, you get it for even less (that's what I did)

$14.95
3. Starter Pack (Autoship)
You receive 4 pouches of Fresh Cab shipped automatically every 3 months. You'll "always remember the Fresh Cab" and be mouse and rodent free all year long - guaranteed! Safe for your family, pets, or farm animals.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
When we had farm animals the rats got so bold that they would not even run from us. We got his and her matching bb guns and had target practice. We also had to store the feed in galvanized tubs rather than plastic.I still think a nice cat would be your best bet. We have two outdoor guys and they have kept us rodent free. Of course you have espect gifts of thier trophies on your back door mat.We have 4 indoor cats-no mice.

Tags
bears, burning man, mice