Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

If you're not familiar with Mr. Toad, check out Zippy the Pinhead.

Oh man, Gene, Zippy's my evil TWIN!!! Uh oh... it's getting to be a bit warm in here...

Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Where in the world is sclerocactus glaucus?

I was excited about the rare cactus (common name: uinta basin hookless cactus), until I tried to find it. Last week I spent and hour and a half looking for it with a picture of it I got from the internet. I was so excited I forgot to put on boots. If you live in cactus country, don't wear sneakers—the spines on the prickly pear (it's everywhere) go right through the sides of sneakers—Ouch!

Yesterday Barb and I went out together armed with several more pictures, boots, plus other materials telling where to look and the cactus' size. It's only 1 to 2 1/2" in diameter and about the same height. It's a grey/green color so when not flowering, it blends in with soil and rocks. I'm becoming an expert on sclerocactus and the many varieties of same. We went back and forth, scanning every square inch in the area the surveyor described and after another hour and a half, no cactus. No cactus we were looking for anyway.

We'll have to go back and focus on another spot—maybe the surveyor's description is wrong or I misinterpreted it. The boots I wore this time have softer rubber soles and the prickly pear spines stick into the soles (better than my feet) and have to be pulled out. Barb wore Sorels and the hard neoprene soles fend off the spines better. Next time, Sorels for me!

Not only is this developer stuff hard, so is being a conservationist! When I retired I could have taken up bingo and shuffleboard though I would have needed a lobotomy first. That's still an option I suppose. Does Medicare pay for that?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We never did find that cactus. Even if we had, the executive director of the local land trust told me they had found it was so rare after all and having some on the property probably wouldn't qualify the land for a conservation easement.

After many months I finally got the survey (the surveyor seems to move very, very slowly) and went through the county planning department and now have a 10 acre lot with a building envelope and a height restriction and have put in effect new covenants to protect the property. I suppose I could have required ownership of an Airstream, but that seemed overreaching.

Looking through the real estate ads, I am pleasantly surprised how much people are asking for property. Apparently they are getting it, but it takes some time. Since we have one of the very few forested lots, I think that's a big plus.

In a few weeks (or whenever we get around to taking pictures of the lot and the spectacular view) I'll put an ad in the High Country News (a conservation biweekly periodical) for the property. I'm preparing an e-mail explaining everything about the lot if anyone wants more information—that's why I need the photos. Since my stocks have gone down as much as the rest of the market, I'm glad I didn't try to sell this last year.

I don't know if there's much of a market in winter, but I gotta start sometime. I've bought and sold property myself before, and although I have friends who are realtors, I'd rather not give them any money.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote