Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Well, I'm thinking of shipping to and keeping the trailer in Hawaii...just a thought at this time.

Well that certainly does limit your avoidance route planning. I would think some eyebolts as Terry describes would work very well. Spin in some ground augers and add some cable.

Note: We are currently testing several ground auger applications for manufacturer. I have been surprised at how well they hold.

My primary worries would be impact damage from flying debris, and flooding.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I am normally parked at Landyacht Haven in Melbourne Florida - One of the requirements is to use tie downs. There are already fasteners installed below ground. Owners use everything from chains to ubolts to tie down.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
What do you guys think about hooking up to the tow vehicle when a storm is going to have high winds? Good or bad idea? My tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer and I would think with the wd hitch and sway bars on it would hold things pretty stable on the front anyway. Well, at least if you are hooked up you can pull out in a hurry if need be.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What do you guys think about hooking up to the tow vehicle when a storm is going to have high winds? Good or bad idea? My tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer and I would think with the wd hitch and sway bars on it would hold things pretty stable on the front anyway. Well, at least if you are hooked up you can pull out in a hurry if need be.
I think that would probably put two vehicles in harm's way, instead of just one.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Terry,
I was thinking about what to do when the trailer is used for camping and traveling. The truck is right there anyway and in that situation there is no garage to put the TV in. I guess I should have said that. I only think of my trailer in situations when traveling as I don't live in mine.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Terry,
I was thinking about what to do when the trailer is used for camping and traveling. The truck is right there anyway and in that situation there is no garage to put the TV in. I guess I should have said that. I only think of my trailer in situations when traveling as I don't live in mine.
That's a little different, but the answer would still be the same. Any wind strong enough to lift the front of your trailer is also strong enough to lift the back, or roll it on its side. In either of those scenarios, the action of the trailer moving in an uncontrolled manner will almost certainly damage the tow vehicle as well. For example, it may bend the hitch receiver, or tear it completely off.
It would be better to park the tow vehicle near the trailer, preferably on the prevailing windward side, by doing so it would partly shield the trailer from wind or debris.