Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
How much to charge for Airstream as Prop?

Someone is wanting to use my trailer as a Photo prop, what would be a reasonable price for a day of use? Anyone ever done this?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If there are no talent agents or entertainment law firms in your are to ask, see if there is an antique auto club in your are that might have done the same with some of their cars. You might check with a competing ad agency or photographer to see what they would normally pay. This might give you a starting point for negotiations, but more than likely you will have to get a feel for what the photographer/ad agency is willing to pay and decide if it is worth it to you and go from their. Unless they are real sleezes, though, they will offer a fair amount because that is what they are used to and realize what is fair.

If your trailer is used in a photo shoot, be sure to let us all know where and when so we can see it in print/on-line.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It would depend if it is a local high school student doing a school project or a New York add agency. If it going to be used commercially they will be willing to pay.

Our local police chief rented old parking meters for the filming of IQ here in Princeton and made out very well.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If it's going to be used in something that will be shown over and over, you should get a lot more. Since the Airstream name is possibly involved the company may want to say something about it and you may contact them for info. Use in a commercial would increase the value even more.

Gene
Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Well, to rent a trailer for the weekend will cost you about $100-$300 a day, not given weekend packages. and not being a airstream either. If it's a local person I wouldn't charge them more than that but if it's a big add firm start are $500. Thats just my 2cents.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Thanks for the info, I sent the lady a price and she said she is putting a bid together and will get back with me when we get closer to the shoot. I think my price is inline with all of you suggestions. I'll keep everyone updated with it as we get closer.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
Someone is wanting to use my trailer as a Photo prop, what would be a reasonable price for a day of use? Anyone ever done this?

Thanks
Hi, the question isn't how much they are going to pay you for using your trailer; The question is "What exactly are you going to do with my trailer?" From people with antique cars: people sit in them, on them, or climb all over them. Or maybe they will have fifty people get inside of it. You never know, and if you don't ask, it might be too late. A friend let someone use his car in a movie and they wrecked it, on purpose. But he said they fixed it better than it was. They also smear them with mud so they don't shine too much and ruin their pictures. I heard, [hear say] that the entire crew used someones RV for their lunch room between shooting. And finally, are they going to have an insurance binder on your trailer just in case something unplanned happens?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
So far you have received good advice. I'm an art director and at the hiring end for these type of situations. I work for a large magazine publishing company. We normally pay $300 per day for something like this but it is for editorial purposes. Commercial purposes, like advertising, should be around double the editorial rate. We also provide a contract with the purpose of the shoot and the photo usage, rights and proof of insurance. I hope this helps.