Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
How many of us sell on ebay?

After seeing some past post I notice some of us sell on ebay. I have sold a few things I put a vintage picnic set on yesterday #4464904203. Just curious to see what you sell and how you did. My sideline job is antiques my husband calls it junk but whatever sometimes I run in to what I think is a unique thing.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Clovis , California
ebay

I've been using for about 4 years, be careful read feedback form buyers not sellers and try to find simular items you are looking at there.

Right now I've got a guy with no feeback that bought a 400.oo item and has not replied back about it. I have towait about 2 weeks to before contacting ebay.
tait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I love Ebay!!

This site, the tractor forums, and Ebay are the most fun places on the net IMO.
I sold several items this spring - mostly tractor parts and have a couple of items for sale on there now.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZultradogmnQQhtZ-1
I'm amazed at what people will buy there. It has changed the way I look at "junk". Now I see some interesting, old or unusual item and think, "hmmm, can I sell this thing on Ebay"
Surprisingly there are 8 people watching my auction for the stapler.
Who would have thunk...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I've been using eBay since June of 2000. I bought a few things here and there then decided that if someone could sell that "junk" then I could to. I am amazed at what people buy sometimes, and the prices they will pay.

When I started selling, I just gathered up "stuff" from around the house that we didn't need/want. Stuff we would have sold at a garage sale, or thrown away. Well that stuff sold and it was my seed money. I watched what others were selling and if I knew where to get the same things I would purchase them and resale also. I also got alot of great buys at physical live auctions which I was then able to resell for a profit.

I've kind of tapered off on selling, still listing here and there, but don't seem to have the time to put into it "full time" anymore. (The AS takes alot of my time now )

I've seen debates here about eBay, but here's my 2 cents worth. I'm an honest seller. I have a 99.4% positive rating with over 1100 positive feedbacks, and only 6 negatives in 6 years (you can't please all the people all the time). yes I've had to deal with many deadbeats, but I've made some good money for the effort I've put in. I've had a few buyers try and rip me off, but I've been careful and typically only ship to their Paypal confirmed address with tracking proof.

Some people will throw in their 2 cents and claim it's not honest to resell merchandise; my rebuttal would be that the buyer needs to research. They pay what they choose to, no one is forcing them to buy. Any time I purchase something on eBay I go into it knowing that the seller is making a profit from me (sometimes I wonder how at the prices I've bought at ) Usually I research before I buy. If I can find it cheaper elsewhere, I buy it there. If they are offering the best deal I buy from them. I try and refrain from purchasing without research unless I need it NOW. Wherever we buy something we are almost always paying more than the seller paid for it - wherever we buy.

I've lost a little money on buying, but never what I would call "burned". I lost $26 on a laptop battery that I received an empty box from the seller, but it was because the box was not sealed correctly, not from dishonesty (I believe). Then there is my recent RV fridge purchase - seller said it worked, it got here and didn't. The seller and I worked it out and she did refund my purchase price, I'm just out the shipping as I put it on my FedEx account.

All in all I think eBay is a good resource if used correctly.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I do, from time to time. I had a bad experience with a guy who had won the bid on my 1968 29' Streamline Empress. He backed out, when he got to our place, after spending 45 minutes criticizing it and wanting to know if I'd take less. I had written up one heck of a description on its flaws, so I told him to go to hell. He waited until the last possible day that he could give me bad feedback and did. I returned the favor.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We have sold on ebay only once, but it was a big item: Our SOB 25' trailer, that we priced at a great buyer's price so we could clear up the yard after we bought our Airstream. No profit to us, but we sold quickly and easily--and were relieved not to be taking care of two units. We included photos of exterior and interior, described all options, conditions, and dealer maintenance. Buyer drove with family from the east coast to purchase-left with plans to camp all the way home. They were happy; we were happy. Have I bought on ebay? No--rather intimidated by the process, actually. Our son has sold motorcycles, boats, cars, and trucks--thinks nothing of it! Just one more way to shop, I guess. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Your reply's are great!!! I have bought several things on ebay in fact I have made money off of some of the things I bought and re sold in my Antique mall booth. We to sold our pop-up camper on ebay last fall in order to buy our Airstream all in all that was a great experience. Although I have had 2 friends call in the past month wanting a pop-up.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
I do, from time to time. I had a bad experience with a guy who had won the bid on my 1968 29' Streamline Empress. He backed out, when he got to our place, after spending 45 minutes criticizing it and wanting to know if I'd take less. I had written up one heck of a description on its flaws, so I told him to go to hell. He waited until the last possible day that he could give me bad feedback and did. I returned the favor.

Frederic
Stingray, I was the high bidder on an AS about 3 years ago. Drove the 200 miles to go pick it up and it was so vile that I wouldn't have taken it if you gave it to me. The seller got Very hostile when I told him I didn't want it.
It was way out in the boonies of WI and here I am with a pocket full of 100$ bills.
I was VERY glad I had brought a buddy with me.
I haven't been afraid for my person like that in a long while.
As it turned out he gave me a non paying bidder feedback which is the only one I have. Rather crumby if not harrowing experience over all.
Jerry
Old 05-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Craftsman

I've been buying and selling on ebay since 2000. Probably over 600 transactions, with about 400 Positive feedbacks. A lot of people don't even bother to post feedback. Sold a lttle bit of everything and bought as well as shipped all over the world. Bought and sold a lot of camera equiptment, especially Leica. Bought a 2001 2500 Suburban in Fort Lauderdale as well as a 2000 VW Beetle in the Virginia. It's fun and an easy way to pick up extra cash.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I got my start on Ebay selling silk thread for tying flies for fishing. Made a small fortune on stuff that was suppose to go in the garbage where my grandfather worked...from there I would buy stuff when I use to yard-sale with my mom. One cool thing I had picked up at a sale was some old black and white photographs of the New York Rangers hockey team...paid a buck for the box and turned around and sold them on Ebay for $42.00!

I joke with my son that he is sponsered by Ebay when it comes to all his racing goodies we get for his bike. You really can save alot of $$ and get some great deals.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I think this thread arises from time to time. I could be one of the earliest ebayers around (member since 3/1998). I haven't done much volume but I have found it a great way to get rid of stuff. I've bought a few things too including my AS.

To me it is what it is. You buy this way because you can do it from your living room chair. You take some chances. I don't care for the post from the state of only 10,000 lakes and zero NFL titles. If you're buying something that big, why the heck not go look at the thing BEFORE YOU BID. This poster violated the law(not just ebay rules) by not completing the transaction. You wouldn't go to an auction, buy a lawnmower then back out of it when it doesn't start - they won't let you because it's against the law!! I'd never buy something that big and expensive without looking at it first. That's how I got my AS, drove 150 miles to see it before buying it - I just don't trust pictures and descriptions.

In fact, a lot of big vehicle transactions, though started via ebay, end early when someone goes to inspect the vehicle and makes an offer. That's how I got mine!

Just my 2-cents worth
cheers
jb
Old 05-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy
II don't care for the post from the state of only 10,000 lakes and zero NFL titles. If you're buying something that big, why the heck not go look at the thing BEFORE YOU BID. This poster violated the law(not just ebay rules) by not completing the transaction. You wouldn't go to an auction, buy a lawnmower then back out of it when it doesn't start - they won't let you because it's against the law!! I'd never buy something that big and expensive without looking at it first. That's how I got my AS, drove 150 miles to see it before buying it - I just don't trust pictures and descriptions.

jb
Different strokes I guess.
I'd rather violate Ebay's rules and possibly the law than violate my sense of propriety and my pocket book. What should I have done? Bought the thing? Maybe you don't mind driving 200 miles to look at something that you MIGHT win. I'd rather not. Maybe you're the kind of person who rewards crummy, misleading or other disingenuous behaviors. I'm not.
I did buy - sight unseen other than pictures -a tractor in Texas on ebay and went down in Dec to pick it up. It was exactly as described (rough) and we were both happy with the deal.
I talked to the seller of that AS from he11 twice before I bid. We talked for over an hour. Never once did he mention the smell of mice or rats or worse. It was awful. He said we could sleep in it that night. I would rather have slept in a wet ditch. He said it didn't leak. But the wood work was all streaked from prior leaks. Maybe the tar he spread on the seams sealed them? The trailer was a far cry from what he described. And I concluded it had more to do with his intent to defraud than any casual ignorance.
Honestly, what would you have done?

PS
Would you taunt me as well as insult me?
FYI I have voted AGAINST any stadia, writted to my reps to demand no public money for sports and could care less if the teams win or lose, live or die, move or not. I'm rather proud of my indifference to anything that has to do with sports.
Oh, and it's 14,000 lakes not 10,000
Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

That would all be fine and dandy had you been going to look at something advertised on a website, BB or newspaper. You go look, don't like..don't buy. Auctions are different both in spirit and by law. My point is..again because this is an auction...if you are not willing to complete the transaction - for any reason..rat crap, spider webs or anything else, you as an individual living in a free country should take it upon yourself to not participate in auctions. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the guy wasn't a jerk. I'm not saying he wasn't being deceptive. I'm just saying that you should not have bid on it if you weren't going to complete the transaction. If you can't go look at it because it's too far to drive - then it's an auction you just have to let go. Man I've seen a bunch of vehicles and trailers around the country that I'd love to bid on but for that very reason, that they are too far away to drive to...I don't bid on them. That's just life.

Sorry about the "taunt" that I would call friendly ribbing...obviously touched a raw spot there.

Jb...from the land of 15,081 lakes and accurate license plates...oops...there I go again.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I've been on ebay for awhile too...

Member since December 1998, 100% positve feedback with over 700 transactions, both buying & selling and only had to leave negative to buyers/sellers a couple of time for lack of following through. I buy/sell mostly small items valued under $500 and am very careful who I trade with...I check the negative feedback comments (if any) prior to bidding.

Generally, most people are honest. My best advice is two-fold "Buyer Beware" and "if it's too good to be true, it usually is"

Happy Bidding!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I've bought and sold on ebay and every transaction has faired well. Sold numerous Airstream parts and purchased quite a few - sometimes it's the only place to find them. My wife has bought a lot of clothing for the kids - mostly Abercrombie. I sold my '74 Tradewind successfully on ebay - a few bidders came for an inspection - transaction was seemless. I would never make a large purchase without an inspection such as RV or auto or an expensive item without doing research, i.e. reputable retailer.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
ebay

An auction or any sort of purchase be it long distance or across the street is a contract. To have a contract you must have a meeting of the minds. You cannot have a meeting of the minds without full disclosure of the property or properties defects or attributes.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
JohnBoy, you beat me! I've been on eBay since 4/98. I even bought Airstream One on eBay. About 3 months ago I also bought my Cadillac Allante on eBay too.
Since I'm a bit of a packrat I don't selll much.... but every once in a long while I'll put something up for sale.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #18
Craftsman

I've had great sucess on eBay . I've never bought or sold anything on ebay that wasn't described honestly. I bought my 2001 2500 Suburban sight unseen. Had to fly to Florida to pick it up and it was better than described and I never had a problem with it. Turned around and bought a 2000 Beatle from the same guy and picked it up in Virginia. Sold a $40,000.00 Land Rover on ebay. You have to ask the right questions and even ask to call the seller. It is a contract if you are the winning bidder, but if at the end of the day the item truly isn't as described your obligated to yourself not to complete the transaction. If you back out of the contract for almost any other reason you shouldn't be on eBay and it will probably show up in your feedback.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg
An auction or any sort of purchase be it long distance or across the street is a contract. To have a contract you must have a meeting of the minds. You cannot have a meeting of the minds without full disclosure of the property or properties defects or attributes.
Barkingdogg
Hard to argue with that. Full discloser = Go look at it! If the seller won't let you look at..run the other direction. There'll always be something that is not stated in an ebay description that some buyer will object to. Might be a minor scratch, might be something bigger. I've seen it all. Sold some 100 year old barn boards to a guy once, he came to pick them up but first stuck a moisture meter in one and said the moisture content was too high....idiot. Should I be blamed for not "disclosing" the moister content of boards that had been drying on the side of a barn for 100 years?

The AS I bought on ebay had mouse poop in it. Heck, it's pbbly got mouse poop in it right now. To me it wasn't an issue, but if it were, I could have just turned the other way because I went and looked at it first.

Not to harp on the original poster that prompted me to reply, but think of what happened there. He was bidding on something he hadn't seen against(I'll bet) others who probably went and looked at it. I'll also bet he drove over thinking "what a great deal!" only to be disappointed. Now the seller and the other bidders (who are pbbly thinking "he paid how much for that p.o.c.?") are delayed in completing the auction.

I'm not trying to argue with y'all. I'm just trying to give advice - If you assume that the seller of something as big as an AS is fully disclosing everything about the unit that a person can see if they go look at it in person - you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm a big fan of ebay and auctions in general but they aren't for everyone and to repeat - they aren't the same as classified ads.

rant mode off
cheers
jb
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Not to harp on the original poster that prompted me to reply, but think of what happened there. He was bidding on something he hadn't seen against(I'll bet) others who probably went and looked at it. I'll also bet he drove over thinking "what a great deal!" only to be disappointed. Now the seller and the other bidders (who are pbbly thinking "he paid how much for that p.o.c.?") are delayed in completing the auction.

rant mode off
cheers
jb
johnboy - ease off - this is supposed to be a friendly forum. I thought about replying to your first rant, but didn't want to inflame the situation. Now that you continue to berate Ultradog, I've got to throw in my two cents....(full disclosure I don't know him from Adam). You went off on him pretty hard about violating eBay policies, but in your last 2 sentences you proudly proclaim that you violated eBay policy also!

Quote:
In fact, a lot of big vehicle transactions, though started via ebay, end early when someone goes to inspect the vehicle and makes an offer. That's how I got mine!
That's a violation of policy for the seller AND the buyer. See: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ebay-sale.html
and: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...umventing.html

Step away from the soapbox and slowly back away.....
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote