Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I figgered someone would catch that but I had seen the ad for this on another classified website and the seller clearly stated it was for sale locally and on ebay. He also set up a "buy it now" auction so he ended up paying the ebay fees on this anyway. I broke no laws.

And again, I'm not tryin to be unfriendly- I just have a somewhat acidic method of doling out advice about how to avoid disappointments. Ebay keeps a pretty close eye on "contact the seller" communications these days. Friend of mine got scolded (officially by ebay) when they caught the words "end auction early" in a communication to a seller. I think they pbbly have a filter of some sort to alert them to any such communication. I don't blame them.

cheers
jb
Old 05-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #22
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Doing business on eBay

I have bought and sold many things on eBay and have never been burned. The key is asking many questions of the seller BEFORE bidding. Their response time is usually an indication of how the transaction will go. On large ticket items such as an Airstream, may the buyer beware! It is always reccomended that you have a telephone and/or email conversation about the specifics and attempt to see it in person, and if you are a high bidder, pay for the item unless you have an email with an "out clause" in writing or the buyer is an outright liar(most airstreamers are pretty honest except when talking about the size of fish that got away ). Read feedback info on the seller and communicate. That won't guarantee a positive transaction but will minimize the negatives.

Mario
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
He was bidding on something he hadn't seen against(I'll bet) others who probably went and looked at it.
cheers
jb
I'm not certain how you could draw that conclusion. Since there is no way to know.
You know Johnboy, I am not real interested in trying to convince you that it was not my rosy expectations that killed the deal. It was the seller's false representation of it that killed the deal. I've tried twice to get you to see that but obviously haven't succeeded.
There is an old quote that goes:
"the wicked flee though no one pursues them"
I believe that quote. And I believe that the inverse of that quote is also true;
That if you have some virtue you will see virtue in others.
I have no wish to go through life suspicious of my fellow man. I just naturally assume he is on the up and up and he is as trustworthy as I try to be. Some times I get fooled though. And when I do I just have to deal with the consequences. Cest le Vie
Ultimately though I'd rather go through life believing in the honesty of my fellow man (even if I get burned on occasion) rather than have the outlook that he can not be trusted.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog
Stingray, I was the high bidder on an AS about 3 years ago. Drove the 200 miles to go pick it up and it was so vile that I wouldn't have taken it if you gave it to me. The seller got Very hostile when I told him I didn't want it.
It was way out in the boonies of WI and here I am with a pocket full of 100$ bills.
I was VERY glad I had brought a buddy with me.
I haven't been afraid for my person like that in a long while.
As it turned out he gave me a non paying bidder feedback which is the only one I have. Rather crumby if not harrowing experience over all.
Jerry
Jerry,

The thing was that I had written up a complete description on the trailer....I am extremely anal, when it comes to describing an item (it's the military in me), just to make sure that the buyer knows what he/she is getting, just so there are absolutely no misunderstandings. I ended up gutting that trailer to redo it, got pissed off and sold it for a fraction of what I initially had sold it for.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Folks chill out I started this thread just to hear some feed back I had decided to sell a few things and just wanted to know your comments. Oh in one of the post it said something about mouse poop I thought all Vintage Airstream's naturally came with those, ours did.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
ebay debate

I have no wish to go through life suspicious of my fellow man. I just naturally assume he is on the up and up and he is as trustworthy as I try to be. Some times I get fooled though. And when I do I just have to deal with the consequences.

This is good. Try to keep your karma where you don't worry about it. You will never be able to control the actions of others, but if you are too doubtful it will paralyze you enough, you won't have a good time.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Boo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
After seeing some past post I notice some of us sell on ebay. I have sold a few things I put a vintage picnic set on yesterday #4464904203. Just curious to see what you sell and how you did. My sideline job is antiques my husband calls it junk but whatever sometimes I run in to what I think is a unique thing.

I just looked at your WONDERFUL picnic set.. I am shocked you only got 25.00 bucks for it! And out of that, you lost fees to Ebay, and probably Paypal. Too bad I didn't see it :-(

I've been on Ebay for a loooooooong time, since 1998, and have 5040 positive feedbacks (total), with 100%.

I buy AND sell.

I miss the old days.. things sold better and Ebay was less flooded.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We purchased our first Airstream on e-Bay. The gentleman knew little about the trailer and we knew less. what gullible lucky people we were. I remember picking it up I Peoria, IL he had it on a lot of a Cell Phone business that he owned. The AS sat on the corner and I had to pull into the traffic to hitch it up.
I used to sell religious books and collectible item on e-Bay but then the market became funny. Everyone thought they were an expert and could suddenly speak Latin and Greek, the prices dropped dramatically. I would get negative feedback for one dogeared page on a 75 year old book someone bought for $2.00. I quit before I lost my normally cool demeanor.