Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How many Airstreamers does it take to change a light bulb?

One of the ceiling lights burned out in my CCD. I am loathe to read the owner's manual to try to find out how to remove the fixture and replace the bulb, and I certainly don't want to mar my inside aluminum skin by trying to pry it out. I've seen the thread where people have replaced the bulbs with lower wattage ones to conserve the battery while boondocking, but I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to disassemble the fixture to change the bulb.

So, it's changing a lightbulb for dummies time folks. Oh, and can you get replacement bulbs locally - like at Home Depot or Walmart?

Thanks in advance. Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Rtmm

Hi, Paula,

It's interesting that 30 folks have looked at this thread since you posted it and nobody has answered.

I don't know the answer either, but either nobody else here does either or you might consider, uh, reading the manual.

I know that's unamerican, but I do tech writing and love to tell folks to read the "marvelous" manual.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I know this one!
You simply run your fingernil under the metal rim of the inner circle and the cover will pop out. Then you can remove the bulb- it's a halogen( you can get them at walmart, home depot, even the grocery store) so be careful putting the replacement bulb in. You can't touch it with your bare fingers because the oil in your skin will damage the bulb- use a tissue to hold it when you place it in the slots.
And by the way...this info is NOT in the big enormous manual- I searched and searched and finally a fellow AIrstreamer showed me what to do!
Good luck!
Robin
Old 10-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky5
I know this one!
You simply run your fingernil under the metal rim of the inner circle and the cover will pop out. Then you can remove the bulb- it's a halogen( you can get them at walmart, home depot, even the grocery store) so be careful putting the replacement bulb in. You can't touch it with your bare fingers because the oil in your skin will damage the bulb- use a tissue to hold it when you place it in the slots.
And by the way...this info is NOT in the big enormous manual- I searched and searched and finally a fellow AIrstreamer showed me what to do!
Good luck!
Robin
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Bulb

Take the old bulb with you when you shop for replacements, though. We had quite an adventure getting the right replacement base and wattage. The Wal Mart 20W halogen fit, but was waaaay too bright. The Camping World 10W didn't work at all, and we finally ended up going to an A/S dealer (in Sandy, Utah, I think) to get the right 10W replacement bulb.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote