Old 07-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
How long have you owned your AS poll?

I find this poll very interesting. I'm 54 years old and just bought my first AS and have never been an RV'r before. I just assumed that most AS were long term owned but the poll indicates a huge ownership group at 6 months or less. Now the curiousity question. Is the poll skewed because many long term owners aren't active in the Forum or is there truly a significant increase in the popularity of aluminum?

Greg

Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Interesting question--oh moderators??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
Is the poll skewed because many long term owners aren't active in the Forum or is there truly a significant increase in the popularity of aluminum?Greg
I'll bet a moderator could do a great job speaking to this question. I sure can't!!
It may have something to do with the way the polls are set up. By this I mean, I think a person can only vote once on the poll. I could be wrong. I'm not from Chicago but I did try to redo my vote when we got a new trailer and it wouldn't let me do it, it said you have already voted in this poll...

So maybe someone just bought a new trailer? They would have recorded how long they owned that one? Or maybe the way the poll was worded didn't ask about longevity with the brand itself not a particular unit--that is how long have you been involved-owned an Airstream product--not necessarily the one you have now?
Wow reading this I can hear grandma say "that's as clear as mud!"

Help moderators hellllpppp!!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The poll feature tallies from its inception to current. I haven't looked at the poll but if was prior to November 2003, it reflects the ownership of my Safari, not my Classic today. So the answer is it's a snapshot of time at the time the person responded to it. It technically doesn't age the original answers nor does it let you reflect your new status.

You might say it's somewhat current for the first year of its life. Then it becomes skewed......unless the answers required are not time sensative. For example are you male or female....in most cases that answer is not dependent upon time.....

Now I'll wait for the smart answers......

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
D) All of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Wow reading this I can hear grandma say "that's as clear as mud!"

Help moderators hellllpppp!!
You did fine Steph! All your points are contributing factors...as well as Greg & Jack. Besides, alot of "old-timers" don't hang out on computer forums, Airstream-related or not!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Morphing?

InsideOut/Shari,

Great observation regarding the "old timers" not hanging out in a computer forum. Can you give us any more insight as to the current demographics of an Airstream owner? Are we changing, or as some would say "morphing" into a new breed?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Your guess is as good as mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
InsideOut/Shari,

Can you give us any more insight as to the current demographics of an Airstream owner? Are we changing, or as some would say "morphing" into a new breed?

Thanks,
John
However, I would say as baby-boomers retire, there will be a boom in RV travel. Airstream is bound to capture some of that market...especially when it comes to "cool-conscious-consumers".

Shari
"ccc" and proud of it!

Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
However, I would say as baby-boomers retire, there will be a boom in RV travel. Airstream is bound to capture some of that market...especially when it comes to "cool-conscious-consumers".

Shari
"ccc" and proud of it!
I'm definitely a "boomer" but retirement seems to stay on the move due to buying toys, aka Airstream.

Greg
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I'm definitely a "boomer" but retirement seems to stay on the move due to buying toys, aka Airstream.

Greg
Ditto!

Shari

Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
A very interesting observation Greg.

I think the posting activity/involvement of the newest AS owners/forums members makes them stand out in the poll. They're on a quest for knowledge about Airstream products, upgrades, activities, etc.

Your question makes me think about our length of ownership. We bought an Argosy Minuet ('78 model year) in 1979, and towed it until 2001, when we bought our '89 Excella. Now that I think about it...I've owned Airstream products for almost half of my life, with quite a ways to go before retirement!

Good luck with your new trailer.

jim
Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Now it makes sense...

Everyone's responses make good sense. A thirst for information.

I have only been able to get out twice so far (too hot right now). On the second trip, I was talking to a fellow camper about his brand new SOB. While obviously proud of his new unit it was evident he was taken with the AS. His comment of "but you have an Airstream" made me proud. My 80 year old father owned a 1972 25' Tradewind for years and is more excited about my purchase than I am. Took him with me to pick it up from the dealer. During his ownership years, I never understood his passion for the "old tin can". Just didn't get it, after all, it was just a camper! NOT!!!

All of this is to say, I think I have a pretty bad case of Aluminitas and now understand his, and everyone's, passion since I have it too. Now if it will just cool off.

Greg
Old 07-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Sheridan , Oregon
I purchased my 81 execlla II in 1985, 22 years ago from the origional owners. They wanted a motor home, and had not used it very often. It was like new, paid $10,000. for it. After all these years she still looks great. Oh yes just about everything has be rebuilt, replaced or repaired at one time or the other. I don't plan on replacing her, just keep her in good condition, then pass her down to my kids.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
I find this poll very interesting. I'm 54 years old and just bought my first AS and have never been an RV'r before. I just assumed that most AS were long term owned but the poll indicates a huge ownership group at 6 months or less. Now the curiousity question. Is the poll skewed because many long term owners aren't active in the Forum or is there truly a significant increase in the popularity of aluminum?

Greg
My mother has owned hers since it was new. That was November of 1972. She is not on the Internet.
Several of our friends and relatives still have their Airstreams from WAY back. They are either not on the Internet or they do not frequent this site.
From my long-term exposure, (since before I was born 40 years ago), to Airstreams ownership is a long-term thing.
Ask most of those on here how many of them bought their vintage trailers/motorhomes from the original owners and I am sure it would be higher than those of SOB's.
When my brother and I bought our 1963 Bambi back in 1982 with paper route money we bought it from the original owner.