Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
How have you benefited from this site?

I was wondering how others use this site. When I was looking to purchase my AS I would lurk here for info- buyer beware kinda things. Now I read and participate in some of the fix it posts. And humor and pics.All in all this is a GREAT place for morning coffee and reading. Thanks to all! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I used the site a lot to research towing, hitches and related issues, as well as purchasing tips and such (2air is most helpful!).

When we 'finally' pickup our AS in a week or so, I'm sure I'll have a raft of other issues to research/discuss. Heck I haven't even dumped a tank yet! newbie alert!

The forum is certainly an endless resource, and I almost need to retire early just to keep up with all the useful and fun posting by such a dedicated group.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This forum has helped me in numerous ways. When I looked at trailers for sale, it helped me spot trouble areas that I would have overlooked. Because of the information on this forum I was able to walk away from a bad deal trailer and know that I had done the right thing. Installing an awning on my trailer was something that I knew I could do myself because of the information I received from this site. Most of all, I have met new friends to share my Airstream experiences with, priceless!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Most of all, I have met new friends to share my Airstream experiences with, priceless!

My sentiments exactly!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
I use it to foresee problems with some trailers that would not be known until realy late after I've bought it..you learn what to look for in hidden areas. great people to meet and advice prevail..
Bob
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Before I joined I did LOTS of research here about everything Airstream. There is so much here if you are willing to mine the data, probably the best and most diverse resource on the web. Of course, had I joined earlier I could have benefited from the "search" function rather than combing through old posts from each subform one by one.
I finally joiined a couple of weeks after I found my Airstream. Hands down, the biggest benefit of joining is the commradery with the wonderful people here. I've made quite a few friends and found AS people are extremely willing to help. There is almost always someone who has been down your path before. Oh, and I still use that "search" function frequently.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Where should I start.....hummmm let me see. Oh yea, I've saved a fortune in cold hard cash by doing repairs myself with the assistance of the great informed membership here!
I've also made some great friends who don't expect me to call them every week.... or to send cards at Christmas.
I've gained a lifetime of experience here in just over a year of Airstream ownership.
A priceless experience.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I have greatly benefited from this site in many ways. I have gotten advice from the experts here in the forum that otherwise would have made the restoration of my trailer almost impossible. I have bought parts from other members and some have even GIVEN me parts and tecnical advice that I will never forget and I am gratefull for. Thanks to all!
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Benefits!?

There are suppose to be benefits?? I'm approaching 60, where do we sign up for benefits?

All I have EVER gotten from this site is a lot of great advice from a lot of very enthusiastic folks.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Bennies...

Lots of benefits here!
  • Helped my hubby answer all sorts of questions on restoring our Bambi!
  • Helped keep by hubby going by giving atta boys! He really appreciated all the good comments!
  • Introduced us to forum rallies and such! Wonderful people. Kind, bright, funny, and they like Airstreams too!
  • Became "Rivet Masters"! (Much more fun ~ and probably useful than the academic version)
  • Gave us the opportunity to find the right parts and help we would have never found on our own!
  • Great place to be on a cold winter evening here in the North... it gets dark much to early sometimes...
By the way everyone, thanks for all your support! We are addicted!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
The same day WAHOONC told me where the inlet plug was (EXACTLY where wahoonc said it would be, I must add), I also found a thread dealing w/several electrical conversion issues. So although I found the plug, its not plugged in, and may not be anytime soon! Whoopee but no electrical damage to my breakers, So I find this forum a life saver for preventing me from burning my house down or my trailer or both?!
For some its which came first the AS or the Forum, (like the chicken or the egg). For me its been hand in hand.
All I know is that I cannot do this alone and I do not feel alone with so much experience and comradery here. And no phishing.
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Thats all so far? Has anyone taken advantage of the guest parking?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Yes - and we have had other forum members come by for dinner or the day..

This forum also givess me a great excuse to avoid other stuff..... doing "important" research!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile All of the above and then some

Everyone has posted something that has been true for us too, saving $, meeting great folks, getting encouragement while working on tricky stuff, etc. Thanks again!

We tried some great new campgrounds, had fun at 2 forum rallies so far, and had lots of off topic laughs to get us through the long dark winter!

This forum has been such a fun place!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We are new to Airstream. There are many questions and the Forum has great, intelligent, helping members. We have met Grand People. Someone
is there whenever we need help with parts, information, and super conversations. Airstream Forums one of the best organizations. Thanks for
the help and guidance. Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
I used the site a lot to research towing, hitches and related issues, as well as purchasing tips and such (2air is most helpful!).

When we 'finally' pickup our AS in a week or so, I'm sure I'll have a raft of other issues to research/discuss. Heck I haven't even dumped a tank yet! newbie alert!

The forum is certainly an endless resource, and I almost need to retire early just to keep up with all the useful and fun posting by such a dedicated group.
Hi, campadk. Let me help you with that tank drain thing; You can borrow my DVD "RV" by Robin Williams.
I joined after becomeing an Airstream owner and have been hooked ever sense. I feel that I have gained a new life time of friends with something in common. I am opinionated and have stated that. I agree with some of you and disagree with others, but you all are still my friends. I have made some of you laugh ["My wife timed me with a sun dial"] and others sad. ["My two little dogs died"] I have used some of my knowledge and experiences to help you; And have learned from you who have knowledge and experiences different than mine. I am on this site every night almost til midnight; My wife has to pry my hands off of this key board. I think I have the uncureable disease "ALUMINITUS".

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I didn't know about this site when I bought my first A/S. It was a '98 Safari, well kept - I used my mechanical and RV (SOB) experience along with some gut instinct to make that purchase. That trailer was totalled in August, it got rear-ended by a truck.

While searching for another A/S (is there another brand anymore?) I discovered this site. I was originally looking at a similar age trailer as my '98, but was also considering older ones due to the lack of help ($$) from my insurance. The information found on this site kept me from buying a trailer with tail-sag. I would never have known the significance of the bulge/crease over the wheel. With the information I learned here, I was able to find a '72 GT in great shape. We returned last night from it's maiden voyage - great trip!

I have been educated, and in a rare instance or two, have been able to educate. It has been fun to read and post and learn. Thank you to all who have contributed to my airstream experience and knowledge through this site.

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Dear Forum members,,, yes, am so thankful for many things arising from membership. Great new friends,,, help in finding my Safari,,, help with a decision and sale of another vintage trailer,,, a very late night rescue of a stuck on furnace fan,,, lots of laughs,,, lots of encouragement,,,lots of problems solved with search button,,, kind folks,, beautiful trailers,,, information,, love and streams!!! donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Besides the obvious benefits of the Forums (great links, tips on where to find replacement parts, and step-by-step DIY fixes), I've found so much INSPIRATION and MOTIVATION from the Forums. I always leave my forum-browsing sessions rejuvinated and ready to tackle another project on the Safari.

Thank you!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I don't have a big enough readout on my calcuator to add up all the times I need information and found or received help from the folks here.
Just wish I had known of this site prior to buying our Airstream and I could have saved myself a lot of time, money and work.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote