View Poll Results: How do you document your Airstream restoration?
Airforums 6 17.14%
Blog 2 5.71%
Website (non-blog format) 3 8.57%
Airforums and Blog/Website 6 17.14%
Other (please specify) 12 34.29%
I don't document my restoration 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
How do you document your restoration?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what technique you use to document your Airstream restoration/renovation and why you chose that technique. I'm researching different ways to document this work so that I can make an informed decision on what technique I will use on my restoration.

I noticed that some folks use this forum exclusively for their documentation; others use a blog format or a personal/business website; some use a combination of the two. Are there any other techniques being used?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I take photo's of each and every step. Both before and after shots are taken. They help me when I put things back together. The photo's are printed out and a description is printed also. They are kept in a scrapbook so I can easily show others my progress.

I also store the pic's on a hard drive so I can upload things to others.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I post progress and discussion related reports here on AirForums but go into more detail of projects on my personal websites.

I find it easier to refer people to my websites for info because it stays on topic and sorted instead of getting sidetracked with related (& sometimes non-related) discussion intermingled like here. The most difficult thing is keeping the website up to date...it's easier to post a quick pic or two here, whereas it's a bit more involved to create or update the webpages. Maybe a blog is the way to go...but I'm already committed to the website format and websites seem to be easier to negotiate around & through to find topical references for visitors looking for specific information, than most blogs which tend to be chronological reports. Guess that depends on the organizational style of the poster.

The biggest bummer with being totally digital is that when camping, I don't have a "brag book" to show off what we've done unless I have my laptop fired up. That would mean printing out a bunch of pics...another duplication of effort.

Just my two-cents ~ good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialma
I take photo's of each and every step. Both before and after shots are taken. They help me when I put things back together. The photo's are printed out and a description is printed also. They are kept in a scrapbook so I can easily show others my progress.

I also store the pic's on a hard drive so I can upload things to others.
this is what I do too, although if I had UNLIMITED TIME I would also do my own blog. I don't. the beauty of this forum is in the accumulated MASS of information available which allows non-pros like me to take on large projects with a much higher level of confidence in success. I also like the wackos who hang out here..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I know I would be hopeless at updating a blog with any regularity. Taking a lot of pictures has been the most helpful to us - more than once, we've printed off the "before" pictures in order to reassemble something. At the end, I'll go through and print off all the pictures at once and put them into an album, which then travels with the trailer. That reminds me, I've got an album to finish before Bozeman...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Before and after photos and all receipts for items purchased. So far the receipts stay in a very fat envelope because I am afraid to total them.
I printed photos at times during the rebuild to figure out "How did they do that?".
I store the photos on CD's and can access them on a portable DVD player while on the road if needed.
Sam
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I try to take as many pictures as possible prior to and during rebuild, stored on computer. I am on my fifth Airstream and fourth requiring some degree of rebuild. I have found that each trailer is unique and differant from even the same model owned by someone else. This forum has by far the most info, and differant approaches to similiar problems. I particually like the forum being broken down by subject matter! I don't like the search feature as IMHO it is to general.
Unfortunately, I forget to take pictures during the re-assemble.
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
_

. , .
the poll options are really about publicly and digitally SHARING a rehab with others...

i suspect most folks DOCUMENT the project with a shoebox full of receipts, or an expenses n parts spreadsheet...

and a load of photos.

some might toss in design ideas, sketches, cad drawings and so on.

adding words and other details (like a vendor list) or web links as needed.

there may be a 10 fold greater number of folks using a sketchbook, picture album and shoebox...

that never get around to sharing online or using a computer. but those people are mostly transparent here.

as for the publicly shared details, in blogs or these forums...

the quality of the ACTIVE rehab threads here is MUCH MUCH BETTER than most of the weblogs...

perhaps having a larger viewing audience and 'open exchanges' encourages more detail or more updates or better sharing.

and clearly the pool of ideas, good or bad and warnings, and mentors is much larger here.

i doubt that many (anyone) is using this forum "exclusively for their documentation"

but the forums may be their only approach to sharing publicly...

of course their are 'video documenters' as well, and u-tubin' is on an upswing...

i keep waiting for the u tube video of watching vulkem dry or balancing the running gear.

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the poll options are really about publicly and digitally SHARING a rehab with others...
Oops! I guess you didn't see the "Other (please specify)" option!

The reason I added the "Other" option is because I wanted to solicit feedback from others on what they do if they don't do electronic. As I indicated, this is a "research project" -- I don't have all the answers. If I did have all the answers, then I would have submitted more poll options or I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
_

. , .
i did and do c the other box.

the point is 'documenting' and 'sharing' aren't the same thing....

the poll choices are mostly ways to share stuff, but the o.p. mentions 'documenting' as the primary focus.

so a variety of different or overlapping approaches might be used for EITHER.

without distinguishing these 2 issues, OTHER might be a large and vague % of total responses...

but none of that may not mater for your research or poll.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Duh!

Quote:
Quote:
the point is 'documenting' and 'sharing' aren't the same thing....

and a variety of different or overlapping approaches might be used for EITHER.
Clearly, the poll was directed to those who:

1) are going through a major restoration and
2) post publicly about their restoration experience

Obviously, we take more pictures than we share publicly and document more throughly than what is posted. It's a curiosity poll, not a 'definitive' scientific one!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
documenting and sharing

I have been taking photos of my restoration from the beginning and continuing as long as there is work still to be done. These photos have made there way into several photo albums and also scanned into computer over the last year.

First, as a record of the work accomplished and second as a way to show added value as compared to original condition. Lastly, to share with others as on the Forum or a personnal blog of the "restoration process"

So far I've managed to get the REAL photo albums together and sorted out the photos on the computer to resource quickly and share on the forums.

All of this back tracking to scan real photos was very time consuming, but i was late to the digtial camera world. Upgrading the computer allowed me to finally get the digital camera and organize my photos.......

So.......to the question of sharing....
I have been adding photos to the forum when someone asks about that subject that I can refer to with the photo. (Sometimes I can't control myself)
and add photos somewhat related to the qeustion at hand. It's MAGIC!

What I would like to see : forum, blogs, or web site.....
See more before and after documentation. I think the best way to do this is to wait until you have both photos and some discription of the work already started and finished. It can take years to get to the finished product, but there are too many projects started and not followed up in posts or blogs.

What I like to read and follow:
forum threads that continue the story on a regular basis...this can be difficult with months seperating large project.

Blogs....like soverignoftheroad, byamcaravaner, (and many more) etc that have great photos and some story background related,(or not) to the trailer and travelling. Most importantly is that they should be updated on a regular basis.....whatever that is. I think at least every couple of weeks? The more varied the subject matter, the more fun they can be to read. It all helps that they are linked at the bottom of their posts.

Websites.... like RJ Dial's vintageairstream.com, loaded with before and after photos with detailed resource info. Vintageairstream's website, which contains Mr. Luhr's travel blog, magazine info and now a place for Airstreamers to contibute photos.
What is the best way?
I would think a Blog is the most personnal and customizable...it's your blog and can go in any direction and be creative.
Forums are the fast food variety and a bit of the roll of the dice, especially if you would like some feedback. Maybe even feedback you don't really need?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Since I appear to be the first person to vote "Website (non-blog format)", here's a link to the site for those who have not seen it:

1967 Airstream Overlander

Blogs are all the rage nowadays, but every single one I have seen is littered with advertising messages which annoy me.

Although my web site encourages visitors to subscribe to Airstream Life, there is no advertising. I need to post a prominent link to theVAP.com, but can't seem to remember when I have the time.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Blogs are all the rage nowadays, but every single one I have seen is littered with advertising messages which annoy me.
The blogger can choose to have ads... or not. Mine has no ads except for the links I provide regarding where to obtain the featured products I've happily purchased during my restoration.

BTW, I've enjoyed a visit to your website many times!

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote