Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Thats Too Bad....

Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
FYI in case you were thinking of asking to pick your new one up at the factory...they don't. I tried.

That is too bad.

Factory delivery is a great way to bring the purchaser into the AS fold so to speak. Building brand loyalty by immersion is done by many companies. European automobile manufacturers have had overseas delivery programs for years. John Deere here in the US has a Gold Key Program that lets the buyer watch his/her JD purchase being assembled.

Imagine working through your local dealer to spec out "Your New Airstream" , then travel to the Mother Ship to see the end result of your planning. The AS Customer Service Concierge meets the new buyer, tours the factory with them, lets them apply the AS badging (symbolic cutting of the umbillical), then signs the discharge papers. Ths Concierge hands the new owners a travel package with pre-planned route coordinates, maybe a pair of show tickets at some venue along the way, and the happy couple (assuming they have not noticed some shotty workmanship at this point) is off on the path of AS ownership.

The selling dealer contacts the new owners on an agreed upon date to schedule a "Preliminary Shake Down Inspection" at the selling dealership. Here the new owners meet the service and parts departments, and get acquainted with (hopefully) the people who will assist them in service and repair of their baby.

Oh well just a thought.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Come on

Come on folks!

Soldermedic was so close, but we all know that

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
When I was a kid, my dad sold monitors, prowlers, etc. A salesman of his used to drive all the way to Elkhart, pick up the trailer, FILL IT WITH PARTS, and then drive home. Imagine the shipping he saved on the parts.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I'm with ArtStream on this.... delivered by a giant pink flamingo.
2002 22' CCD
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I believe in olden days there were no dealers and you had to go to the factory.

Since the late 1960's, the Enterprise beams them to the dealer. Helps pay for all those Federation starships.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
When I was a kid, my dad sold monitors, prowlers, etc. A salesman of his used to drive all the way to Elkhart, pick up the trailer, FILL IT WITH PARTS, and then drive home. Imagine the shipping he saved on the parts.

Your story made me think of the Airstream dealership in Houston where I bought mine in 1987, they used to have their trailers loaded down with parts when they were delivered out of Jackson Center.
I wonder if Jackson Center still delivers parts that way to dealers?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Someone is going to be very happy.

I saw an Airstream, Vintage...probably a 60 - 70 Safari...unpolished, nice body and it appeared to have an International red/ trim....all this loaded on an auto carrier open truck, with about eight cars of varying age. It was 60 miles north of Ft. Worth on I-35 heading north. Looking for its new owner.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Airstream Delivery

I was at Jackson Center two weeks ago and saw a number of new trailers leaving the factory. Some were pulled by a standard pickup truck from the dealer or a delivery service. I also saw some loaded onto a flatbed truck. One new trailer was picked up in the afternoon, spent the night in the Terraport with the two delivery guys sleeping in it and then left the next morning.

I'm guessing the dealer chooses the method of delivery. Some pick them up, some have them shipped. Certainly there are a variety of shipping methods as well.
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I expect the method of delivery is dictated by the number of Airstreams going to a dealer. A special order may be towed by a pickup if the dealer doesn't want other ones. A dealer who wants a couple (or two dealers close to each other) may have them shipped via flatbed. They may also use pickup trucks for dealers nearby. It all depends on the shipping that costs less per trailer and whether the dealer has someone waiting who can pay for it right away.

When we drove by the Denver dealer, we saw about 7 out front, the most we have seen in years there. In 2007, they had a bunch in the back and another bunch in the front. Sales may be picking up.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign
1975 31' Sovereign
1969 25' Tradewind
LaGrangeville , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
RV delivery is usually contracted out to independent businesses. Special licensure, certifications, and insurances are required.
The method of delivery is actually determined by the manufacture and what the units destination is. Larger trailers are generally moved on their own wheels, while smaller units are clustered on flatbeds/auto carriers.
The shipping person is required to have a CDL, which best described is a professional license.
That person has to have a D.O.T. certification and inspection on the tow vehicle, including following D.O.T. laws, such as length of time driving with regards to breaks, sleep etc. Specialty insurance called cargo insurance is also required. This covers the RV against any damages during shipping.

RJ Dominic

RJ Dominic
Flat Creek International, Inc.
Vintage Transport Solutions
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote