Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
How were the wagon wheels created?

One of the major strengths of the WBCCI, Caravans, and Airstreamers are the volunteers.

One of the largest groups volunteering was the Parking Committee. The arrived early, looked at the site, layed our the parting. The location of tents, and other public areas, lights, goepher holes, water, and the primary inner-circle. Once you have the primary inner-cirlce the radiating circle are easy. You leave room for unhitching, and a roadway to leave your parking spot.

So everything is planned, and the parking crew worked their butts off to make the Rally Site workable, pleasant and fun.

After Caravans, and the first few rallys the crew took pride in their work and volunteered rally after rally.

I was not on the committee, but I fully understand the work they did and how they did it.

Hats off the years of volunteers from the past and those unsung heroes of the future.

On Caravans where it was pratical to park in wagon wheel, the wagon boss normally parked the group. Do the timing from the first unit until the last he might be relieved by a helper. Of course Wally also assisted in parking when required.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
One of the members of my unit has been involved with parking a rally this way. Here's how he said it is done:
Quote:
The parking of a wagon wheel is the easiest parking there is, because it can be parked with just two parkers. You mark the center of the parking area with your flag pole raised to the highest point with a bright flag at the top. Depending on the amount of vehicles that has to be parked, you have a 25 foot radius giving you a 50 foot center area, or a 50 foot radius giving you a 100 foot center area. The rally in the picture has a 100 foot center area. Starting at any point on the radius, you start marking a mark on the circle every 12 feet, leaving a 15 foot roadway. When you start the second row, you go out the length of the largest vehicle plus a road way in front and even with the roadway opening of the first row, and start marking spots at 15 foot intervals. When you park the vehicles, one parker stands on the dot that is to be parked, a second parker lines himself up with the first parker, and the flag, and when he lets the vehicle pass, he goes to the next spot. As you can see, the flag pole becomes a parker. Unlike WBCCI Caravans, the Airstream Company Caravans parked the front of the tow vehicles on the dot, not the trailer tongue. Motor homes were parked in line with the front of the trailers, so they are evenly lined up, and their towed vehicle is moved to the front of the motor home.
It would be fun to experience this some time.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Wow And I thought someone said "Just park anywhere you like" and random chance took over. Oh well it was a fun idea while it lasted

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Semi-Circle Lager in Africa 1959

It took one person, Louis Mousely, our wagon boss to park the Caravan on this grassy area in Johannesburg.

Lager is the Afrikaans term for a wagon group circled.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Oh man, I love the cars being used as tow vehicles.

What a neat picture.

Barry
Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #26
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Aliens from the planet Thor helped.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Oh man, I love the cars being used as tow vehicles.

What a neat picture.

Barry
Barry,

In Africa we all used trucks, the cars you see are private vehicles of the local gentry.

PW
Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
Barry,

In Africa we all used trucks, the cars you see are private vehicles of the local gentry.

PW
Thanks PeeWee. It sure did look good. I immediately had visions of the Caddy and others towing their Airstreams across the desert in air conditioned comfort, everyone waving at the poor guy on his camel as they passed.

Dang - another myth smashed .

Barry
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Thanks PeeWee. It sure did look good. I immediately had visions of the Caddy and others towing their Airstreams across the desert in air conditioned comfort, everyone waving at the poor guy on his camel as they passed.

Dang - another myth smashed .

Barry
Just for a second, I had thoughts of an air conditioned Cad, with four wheel drive and a turnpike from Cape Town to Cario. Not!

But a nice illusion.