Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hot in your locale?

I don't know about most of you but since late June the St. Louis area and beyond has just baked. We've set a record with 11 days so far this summer where the temps have been 105 or greater, we tied a record from 1901 where the low overnight only got down to 86 degrees. Rain has pretty much been non existent since May. The Mississippi here in St. Louis is almost at 0.0 on the gauge with some forecast of -6.0 by fall. Thankfully our water supply comes from the Missouri, Mississippi for the most part and the pumping stations are well out into the river. The local horticulturists have started advising that even established trees are starting to show the stress. Another has estimated that the evaporation rate in the soil is as high as a 1/2 inch a day.

So with all this hot stuff out there, going out in the trailer doesn't look too appealing at this point. We do have a trip planned soon and we will be heading way up north in Door County Wisconsin. So far it has looked pretty good up there.

Have you altered your destinations or just traveling in general due to this weather?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've been whining about the heat and thinking about higher elevation, but I'd have to make that trip alone. My partner won't be able to really have a say in his schedule for another 2 years, so summers we're generally stuck close to home, and there's no where close to Fort Worth that's not HOT.

At least this year we haven't been as starved for rain as we were for the previous couple, though further south in Texas it's still too dry. Last year we saw the stress in the trees that you're talking about.. lots of trees dropped some of their leaves by late summer.

So I sit in the air conditioned office thinking about Angel Fire or Gunnison and trying to ignore the long hours it would take me to get there.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
We have had the driest and hottest summer since the Year Gimmel here in south and east Ontario!

Lawns are all a crispy golden brown (normally a lush green this time of year) and farmers are seeing their crops either dry out and die or come to maturity waaay too early.

Predictions of severe food price hikes are already beginning to become apparent.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
decided to leave the trailer home since it has been so hot

We just got back from a week long vacation up to MI and then over to NY. We decided to leave the trailer home since it has been so hot. In NC we have not been as hot as you, though there have been some new high temperature records set. It seems as if we have been hovering around 100 with high humidity many days this summer.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is SO HOT here!

No rain to speak of, either. The crops are drying in the fields and our yard is parched.

We spent several weeks this summer on Glacier. Heavenly. If you want cool, this is a good place to find it.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I've stayed at home, so far, for uinteresting reasons. But I thought some might be interested ~ it has been so very dry & hot here in Central Texas (basically near Austin) that a huge oak tree that HAS to be over 100 years old - simply fell over. No real signs of distress before it fell. Lots & lots of oaks in that same pasture still sport green leaves and are standing, but I have to wonder, and hope. I'm on a water well out here, so no chance to give them some water to carry them thru, so I/we all wait on some rains to come.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
It's been mercifully cooler here than last year. So far we've only seen 10 days of 100º+ this year - last year we had 92 days for the season and the hottest summer ever recorded here. I can relate to the hot temps at night mentioned above - I saw 99º at midnight last year and there was just no relief from the heat. Even the lakes were too warm for comfortable swimming.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Normal for this time of year is 99F, hot when 105F. Today it will hit 94F, next week a couple of 102's. They say it's a dry heat. LOL
I head up to a lake 1 1/2 hrs drive, temps daytime 75-78F. Hohum, what a boring life this retirement!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hot as usual

Texas again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1253.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	163969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing weather.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	163970  

Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Full timing with the windows open and fans running. Melted 2 computers and 2 DVD players. Hot hot hot and humid as all get out. Least the coastal breeze keeps it nice and muggy.
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Last fall I moved from my home in Central Colorado to Upstate South Carolina for economic reasons. I had been here before (they tell me I was born here, but I really don't remember) and was expecting the worst. This summer though, has been unexpectedly pleasant. That's a very good thing, since I'm living in my Airstream with no AC. High temperatures for the past month have mostly been mid 80s, with mid 60s for lows. We've had at least a foot and a half of rain in the past month. It's almost like a Seattle summer!

Friends back home in the High Country tell me that leaves started turning the first of August, and that always kicks off the season of scrambling to lay-in firewood. I do miss my beloved Rockies, but so far it's hard to complain about Appalachia.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Even here in Northern California it has been in the triple digits... ugh! We sometimes get a week of really hot weather, but this year it has been a month! We had a late spring and it was cold in June.... we are paying for it now! Next week it should be better, in the high 80s. Lots of forest fires in California right now.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We were blistering hot early in the season here in NC, had to pull shade screens over the gardens. We are pretty close to seasonal norms now for our highs, but the lows are still higher than normal. We should be getting a break pretty soon though...at least I hope so. It is 89* right now but the humidity is pushing the heat index to 94* definitely NOT a dry heat. We have been fortunate to miss the drought conditions that are hitting counties around us. We are pretty close to average annual rainfall.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
It got a little hot (100+ w/ 80+ humidity) here in SC for about a week in June. I discovered Jones Gap in Mountain Bridges Wilderness and took the nephews on a 2-day backpack in there. It was like being in a big air conditioned room with waterfalls!

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
60 degrees here on the northern California coast.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Hot? You ain't experienced damn hot in North Texas. Up until a week ago we had had 3 weeks of excessive, from 110 to 118 for 3 weeks. Better than last year when it was like that for 8-10. Humidity was at 5-10%. Looking up some, Wed is supposed to be 75%
Had this before back in 94 and 95, then it cooled down for several years.
Cycles...
Off to Canada soon to Japser NP to cool off!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The short but intense heat wave finally broke. I do not travel when it is this hot.

Tonight it is so cool (about 63F). Love it!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Jeez, makes me feel guilty sitting here in my sweatshirt this evening. (Never fear. I have to head back to Santa Fe tomorrow, and I rarely wear my sweatshirt there during the summertime.)

Lynn