Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hey Protag

It does not surprise me one little bit that you like dogs or that dogs like you.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
It does not surprise me one little bit that you like dogs or that dogs like you.
From as far back as I can remember, up until I moved out of my parents' house to attend college, I had at least one dog, and sometimes as many as four at once time. Once I started living alone as an apartment dweller, it didn't seem right to own a dog that I'd have to leave cooped up in the apartment when I went to work.

Now that I don't have to go to work anymore, you'd think I'd want to get a dog of my own again. But I'm reluctant to take on the responsibility of dog ownership after so long without one, so I settle for vicariously enjoying the company of other people's dogs.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Protag visit a shelter, you might save a dogs life as well as yours. They can lower everyone's blood pressure, and be your best traveling buddy. The companionship is priceless. From my experience a opposite sex dog works best..... Love I guess.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Protag.. our last dog died... right after last kid left home.

Wife wanted a 'dog of my own'... ok... so, who takes it outside when storming?

However, we saved this little guy's life.. we can't save them all (at least that is my current argument to the problem)...so, let's do a good job with this one...

Dog's name is 'Boo'... he's leery of men, loves the ladies...is a ham.. has made me smile once or twice...

However, when he is 'gone'... I HOPE we don't 'save' another one....

We had 'working' dogs and 'pet' dogs growing up. I MUCH PREFER the working dogs... because they have a 'purpose'.... We used them to hunt... It is cruel to lock up any dog, especially a 'working breed'....

On the other hand, when we are home or camping, Boo gets real grouchy because he doesn't sleep all day!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Protag and others interested or curious. Since my retirement a year ago I've volunteered , sometimes every day for weeks, at a new shelter a young couple is or has opened, waiting now on the IRS 501c3 filing approval. I am a trainer and rehabilitation person along with the owner who is a certified trainer and behaviorist. Much to some peoples surprise a rescued dog knows, I have trained and taken about 300 dogs to homes this past year, as we do a home inspection for every adopted dog, and when the dogs are welcomed into the home they change from what they act like in our shelter or even my truck. Many have big smiles on their faces and run around, others jump in someones lap and simply want to be hugged.

Each year in the US there are over 5 Million dogs put to sleep, all kinds, sizes and ages. We just rescued 2 litters of puppies, three weeks old and their mothers who were about to be put to sleep. We keep them until they are at least eight weeks with their Moms and liter mates and then try to find them homes. We currently have 50 dogs, four of whom we cannot adopt out, too dangerous right now, but we are a 100% no kill, unless dog is too sick or hurt.

So, if you are considering a dog, go to a shelter, look at dogs that might interest you, ask questions, if they don't have answers to the dogs personality etc move on to another shelter. We know every dog, it's personality and such as we keep them until we learn who they are and what they are about. We dog test them, people test them and cat test them if a prospective adopter has cats. Shelters generally have every breed as mentioned, for instance we can "get" almost any breed as we pull our dogs from high kill shelters as other rescues do. So, in your area there are rescues doing what we do, therefore, if you are slightly interested take a look - no charge and no obligation for looking. If you rescue you will make your life richer and save a soul.

My Best and good luck

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
From my experience a opposite sex dog works best..... Love I guess.
PLEASE tell me you're not suggesting anything kinky!

Not that it matters. I know my limitations. No more pets for me. No wife or kids, either. I'm not comfortable with the idea of being responsible for a life other than my own.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I'm with you Pro. I love dogs as long as they are someone else's. That "lower the blood pressure" thing, not for this guy. We had 2 Saint Bernard's. And that movie, I think our dogs watched it to get ideas of how to torment me.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Are you guys sure you don't want a Pomeranian? He's so cute and fluffy...

-Red, trying to give it away...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not suggesting or even hinting anyone get a dog if they don't want one would be the worst for all concerned. I've got a Labrador Puppy I would gladly give to anyone some days, and I've a trainer. Other days, not on your life. However, we do place dogs with returning military people with PTSD that is too much for them to handle, but only very selected dogs, not like the Bernard's mentioned by Geo, my Lap puppy is like that and will be until she is three or so and she is actually a certified Therapy Dog and Emotional Support Dog, but on some days can't her anyplace, just like people.

My Best
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Our 70lb Husky goes every where with us. We walk hime 5-8miles a day, he barks/howls about once a week and when left alone he likes to snooze. He is very friendly with people but when off leash he plays a little rough. Some of our friends dogs are ok with that, others are not. So we are careful about who he plays with and we are always working on helping him be less excited and rough. When off leash dogs come up to us it can get interesting.

I get very, very annoyed when other dog owners think that campground or park rules don't apply to them. Particularly picking up poop and being on leash.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

I have been told more than once that people want to be reincarnated as one of my dogs. Needless to say, I love dogs, especially the ones I share my life with. That being said, I don't think I want to repeat the heartbreak, or add another pending heartbreak to the list. I also would not want to take the chance having a dog outlive me. My Layla is 16 1/2. I might not live that long

Living with dogs has definitely limited me from doing some things. I have no problem with that. But I think that I might like to put myself first, for a little while.

I totally hijacked this thread….sorry
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
PLEASE tell me you're not suggesting anything kinky!

Not that it matters. I know my limitations. No more pets for me. No wife or kids, either. I'm not comfortable with the idea of being responsible for a life other than my own.
Dogs not sheep Protag I feel the same as you and others, but if I see a dog or cat in a alley shivering or starving...I couldn't look the other way. I would prolong their death a few more years until I couldn't. One thing pets do is force you to exercise every day. From reading the posts above, seems like larger dogs = high blood pressure, small = low. Like kids, they bring out the best in you.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
All our dogs are rescues. Yeah, the Pomeranian boys bark a lot, but they do show a lot of love. All of ours are glad they were rescued and give a lot of love. Two of our older dogs are on my lap right now very happy.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
We have a Golden Retriever and we're very responsible owners. We clean up after him and make sure he is well-mannered in the campgrounds where we stay. I always remember and apply The Golden Rule. But, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about "freezing rain and dog poop." I've never seen those kinds of precipitation conditions. Not that I would want to.